Bottom bracket help

Kristian74

Mar 14, 2014
[ATTACHMENT=514][ATTACHMENT=515]image.jpg (1,352k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT] I just bought an old Peugeot competition 550 Roadbike. I Can hear that there is sand in the berings and i Want to clean it. And i have a problem remove the berings inside the bracket. How do i Solve this problem. Please help me. This is my first post here. I am from Denmark. Hope you understand my english writing...

The bearings are likely 'sealed' units and not user serviceable. It is possible to remove the seals and flushing and repacking the bearings, but doing so usually destroys the seals. If you can feel grit inside the bearings, they are probably not in good enough condition to be back into service after a re-pack.

The sealed style bearings are traditionally replaced with new ones...provided the old ones can be removed from the cartridge shell.

The bearings are generally held in place by press fit, snap rings, threaded retainers or a combination of those methods. Removal may require snap ring pliers, a bearing press/puller and/or a dedicated drive tool to remove the retainers.

Can you post the brand and model crankset and bottom bracket? Perhaps you can also post pictures of the ends of the bottom bracket cartridge.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
The bearings are likely 'sealed' units and not user serviceable. It is possible to remove the seals and flushing and repacking the bearings, but doing so usually destroys the seals. If you can feel grit inside the bearings, they are probably not in good enough condition to be back into service after a re-pack.

The sealed style bearings are traditionally replaced with new ones...provided the old ones can be removed from the cartridge shell.

The bearings are generally held in place by press fit, snap rings, threaded retainers or a combination of those methods. Removal may require snap ring pliers, a bearing press/puller and/or a dedicated drive tool to remove the retainers.

Can you post the brand and model crankset and bottom bracket? Perhaps you can also post pictures of the ends of the bottom bracket cartridge.
Replacing the bearings in this existing cartridge is the least expensive way to go, if you can find a way to punch the bearings out. without damaging the cartridge.

An alternative is to replace the entire cartridge. To do this you will need to know the width and threading of the bottom bracket shell of your frame, plus the taper pattern of the spindle. If the threading is British and the spindle taper is JIS, you're in luck because replacements are widely available and inexpensive. A pro bike mechanic can examine the frame for shell size and threading, and your crankset to determine the taper and spindle length you will need.

If the threading is French, you will have problems, because French threading hasn't been used for a couple of decades. A US company, Phil Wood, does make sleeve-type bottom brackets and French threaded retaining rings (he calls them cups). To install the right Phil Wood bottom bracket you will need to know the overall spindle length and taper, the threading for the retaining rings, and Phil Wood's splined installation tool. Here's the link to Phil Wood's bottom bracket page: http://www.philwood.com/products/bbpages/ssbb.php

Yes ok Compagnolo stratos is the model name.

I can only find limited Campagnolo information which seems to indicate the cartridge shell, spindle and bearings are sold/serviced as a unit.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/it/Spares94_A.pdf

Can you see a snap ring at the outboard sides of the bearings? If so, those need to be carefully pried out of their slots and the bearings pulled out.

If no snap rings are visible, the bearings are pressed in place and will be a major pain to press out or pull out. Judging by the rust on the shell, it will probably take a soaking in penetrating oil to get there bearing to move inside the cartridge shell. Campagnolo cartridge bottom brackets DO use standard sealed bearings that are available at any good industrial supply business.

You could probably replace the whole bottom bracket assembly with a slightly newer model, still available from Wiggle or Chain Reaction. You 'may' have a 111 mm axle length and should measure it before trying to get a replacement. Here's a 102 mm newer unit from Wiggle.

If you must keep your old unit and can not get it apart, take it to a local shop for their opinion.

Worse case, you can carefully pry up the outer rubber bearing seals and flush the bearings thoroughly with kerosene or diesel fuel, then hand pack them with fresh grease.

Originally Posted by Kristian74

Yes ok
Compagnolo stratos is the model name.
1.370" x 24 TPI is standard British threading. Here in the States, J&B Importers offers cartridge units with this threading and ISO (Campagnolo) spindle tapers, made by Origin8, to US bike shops. Retail price is around $40-45 US. Your local shops should be able to come up with something similar.

IF a slightly wider Q-factor is NOT a concern, then substitute a 113mm Shimano BB for the particular Campagnolo BB.