Yes, bsbs1876, actually my surgeon says that it is better if I keep this in permanantly. So hopefully it does not bother me too much. I am surprised how it does not seem very noticeable on the outside. I don't think my scar is going to be too bad and it looks like he did a pretty good job lining up my tattoo. I know I have a ways to go but I am pretty happy with how it looks so far.

Ok, so yesterday was my first day without the sling. Things were going ok until the afternoon and then my shoulder started aching. I took a nap and when I woke up my shoulder was killing me!! I ended up taking a Tylenol 3 which is strange because I haven't needed any pain meds since I came home. It helped some and I used some ice too but it still ached the rest of the night. I slept pretty good and when I got up today it is feeling much better. But I put the sling on because I am afraid that not wearing it will make it hurt like it did yesterday. Anybody's shoulder hurt a lot more after discontinuing the sling? I feel like it gives me stability and support. Do you think I need to wear it a little longer? Or do I just have to move through the pain of not wearing it? Maybe I just moved it wrong when I was sleeping or something but now I am afraid that if I don't wear the sling it will hurt like that again.

Originally Posted by Dane Girl

Ok, so yesterday was my first day without the sling. Things were going ok until the afternoon and then my shoulder started aching. I took a nap and when I woke up my shoulder was killing me!! I ended up taking a Tylenol 3 which is strange because I haven't needed any pain meds since I came home. It helped some and I used some ice too but it still ached the rest of the night. I slept pretty good and when I got up today it is feeling much better. But I put the sling on because I am afraid that not wearing it will make it hurt like it did yesterday. Anybody's shoulder hurt a lot more after discontinuing the sling? I feel like it gives me stability and support. Do you think I need to wear it a little longer? Or do I just have to move through the pain of not wearing it? Maybe I just moved it wrong when I was sleeping or something but now I am afraid that if I don't wear the sling it will hurt like that again.
You should still be wearing the sling for another week or two in my opinion. I wore it for 3 or 4 weeks, but I only wore it when I needed it. If I was in the house on the computer or watching TV I would just prop my arm on a pillow. If i went out or was walking around I would wear the sling. The bone still has not calcified enough at 2 weeks and your arm is being supported purely by the metal, which causes strain and results in the pain you are experiencing. Let the sling take some of the plate's load for a bit longer.

Reactions: Dane Girl
Dane Girl said:
You should be asking your doctor how long you need to wear the sling. If the doc says you no longer need to wear it, ask him what the benefits of not wearing it vs. wearing it are. No one here is qualified to make that call for you, especially given that your state is unique even among the injuries posted here.

bsbs1876 said:
Dane Girl said:
You should still be wearing the sling for another week or two in my opinion. I wore it for 3 or 4 weeks, but I only wore it when I needed it. If I was in the house on the computer or watching TV I would just prop my arm on a pillow. If i went out or was walking around I would wear the sling. The bone still has not calcified enough at 2 weeks and your arm is being supported purely by the metal, which causes strain and results in the pain you are experiencing. Let the sling take some of the plate's load for a bit longer.
that's right, DG you better keep wearing the sling for at least 4 weeks, probably 6. You can have it on and off depending on the time of the day and what you actually do. the sling, apart from resting your arm, protects you from two really dangerous situations, first yourself, your unintentional moves which can overload the plate and second it protects you from other people's ignorance that you are still an injured person and you should be treated with care. I kept it on at night and it restricted me from sleeping on my affected side. Just be careful, you are STILL an injured person.

DG, sounds nasty. What did the surgeon say about the sling? The hardware is so different from everyone else's that I've seen. I had some days when I felt some pain but I can't really say it would've been so great at any point except right afte the operation during the night. The sling supports the whole unit, trapezius muscle behind the clavicle, the joints, clavicle and other muscles attached to it. I was specifically told that my sling was for pain and nothing else, but if you've got instructions to have it as a support, then it's a whole different thing. I could easily go around the house after a week or two, but going shopping gave me some pain even when I held my left hand in my pocket. Otherwise I used my arm holding it near my body and didn't raise it from the shoulder too much. I also felt sometimes how much movement there would be at each thing I did, putting my right hand on the clavicle and moving the arm. That wasn't officially recommended. I think your scar looks great, much better than my stapled one. The x-rays seem to be taken from different anglepre and post op.), so I can't really say, but the clavicle's distal part seems to be in a better position after the operation. Otherwise, it's curious looking. I guess it wouldn't be an easy thing to get off even if needed. I was told to be in contact with the surgical unit if there would be any strange pain or any abnormal things. I think you should too, at least if the pain comes back.

Well today and yesterday have been much better! The pain that I was having is gone now. I think that the pain must have been from me moving the wrong way when I was sleeping that day. But personally I think that I need to wear the sling for longer. Especially since I live with a Great Dane and a Doberman. I do have people to help me with them but they are always around me and my Dane is still young and energetic. My plan is to gradually wean myself off of the sling instead of just getting rid of it all at once. I have been doing a few hours on and a few hours off and that seems to be working well. I am making sure to do the exercises 4-5 times a day or more and that is helping too. AB, I agree that my hardware does look different from most that I have seen. I have two plates. My doctor didn't think that I needed all of this from the X-rays before the surgery. But when he discovered my comminuted fracture he said he did what needed to be done to fix it. My surgeon is not a fan of removing the hardware anyway and he said that he has never had anyone want or need to have it removed. But of course I am not crazy about having all of this hardware in my shoulder but it is in there now and I am focusing on healing properly and getting my range of motion back. It doesn't really matter what is in there if I heal up great and I can move my shoulder normally. Surgery for hardware removal is not very appealing to me anyway. Every person is different and so is their doctor's methods. It is very interesting to read all of the different stories on this forum.

Anything But said:
I was told to be in contact with the surgical unit if there would be any strange pain or any abnormal things. I think you should too, at least if the pain comes back.
What he said. The surgeons understand all of this much better than anyone here. The now repaired bone is likely stronger than you think with the metal in place, but at the same time it's not invulnerable. It's the surgeon who can tell you what the limits are. You're likely having pain as the result of so many pieces being in new positions after having been in incorrect positions for so long. Soft tissue is being stretched. The bone is irritated from hardware placement, and any swelling will also cause pain. In fact, swelling is often a big source of pain. Be forewarned that you'll likely have pain for a while as you work to increase your range of motion. I don't know about others, but the only real difficulty I had with the fx'd clavicle was sleeping. It was quite a while--a couple months--that I spend sleeping in a reclining chair. My fx, however, was not surgically repaired. I don't know what meds your taking, but you might want to avoid--at least ask the doctor first--taking ibuprofen or other NSAIDS. They can slow healing, or so all of my orthopedic surgeons have said.

No pain no gain is a great moto for a reason.

Do you guys drink much milk? maybe you have weak bones and need to drink more milk.

Dane Girl said:
My plan is to gradually wean myself off of the sling instead of just getting rid of it all at once. My surgeon is not a fan of removing the hardware anyway.
Sounds like a good plan. I did complain something about not knowing exactly how much I was allowed to use my arm without the sling. Later on, I did notice the pain would tell me when there had been some strain. I'm most likely going to leave the hardware in myself. Another surgery doesn't sound attractive even when everything has went smoothly so far.
alienator said:
I don't know about others, but the only real difficulty I had with the fx'd clavicle was sleeping. It was quite a while--a couple months--that I spend sleeping in a reclining chair. My fx, however, was not surgically repaired. I don't know what meds your taking, but you might want to avoid--at least ask the doctor first--taking ibuprofen or other NSAIDS. They can slow healing, or so all of my orthopedic surgeons have said.
Same here, although I have the plate and I'm able to sleep in the bed again, with minor difficulties. It's been 9 weeks from accident and 7 from operation and I can tell there's less pain in wider movements every week. DG mentioned she took Tylenol so it's ok, but according to litterature or pharmacological books the anti-inflammatory effects of ibuprofen starts at 2400 mg/day (average?). There might be other prostaglandin synthesis involved, too, but I' d say the small dozes I took didn't affect my healing because it's gone well. Hopefully. You never know unless something bad happens.
ambal said:
Do you guys drink much milk? maybe you have weak bones and need to drink more milk.
I don't think we could've avoided the fractures by drinking more milk. Clavicle fractures in general occur in young adults and more often men than women. In most cases it's a rather high force impact. It's not a typical fracture of people with osteopenia or -porosis. And yes, I consume if not milk then other dairy products + vitamin D.

Anything But said:
Sounds like a good plan. I did complain something about not knowing exactly how much I was allowed to use my arm without the sling. Later on, I did notice the pain would tell me when there had been some strain. I'm most likely going to leave the hardware in myself. Another surgery doesn't sound attractive even when everything has went smoothly so far. Same here, although I have the plate and I'm able to sleep in the bed again, with minor difficulties. It's been 9 weeks from accident and 7 from operation and I can tell there's less pain in wider movements every week. DG mentioned she took Tylenol so it's ok, but according to litterature or pharmacological books the anti-inflammatory effects of ibuprofen starts at 2400 mg/day (average?). There might be other prostaglandin synthesis involved, too, but I' d say the small dozes I took didn't affect my healing because it's gone well. Hopefully. You never know unless something bad happens. I don't think we could've avoided the fractures by drinking more milk. Clavicle fractures in general occur in young adults and more often men than women. In most cases it's a rather high force impact. It's not a typical fracture of people with osteopenia or -porosis. And yes, I consume if not milk then other dairy products + vitamin D.
Bicycles, motorcycles, and horses are all great for breaking clavicles. Each of those can serve up the circumstances that would break any clavicle.

Post number two to this forum I think, corresponding to...broken clavicle number 2!! Uggh. I can't find any response to my original post, so here's a quick synopsis, because now I'm past two years recovered from my first break, and one week into my second break (other arm good for comparison!)
smug.png

My ortho this visit last week told me of a recent study of as many clavicle cases they could find (as reported in Journal of Orthopaedics or something) revealing three important points to consider when considering the healing/union potential of a clavicle break such as is common:
1. If you're 18 or under it will ALWAYS fuse back together
2. If you SMOKE chances of healing back together are significantly decreased
3. No method of measuring distances of separation have been identified as indicative of chances of fusing back together

Now my story:

I snapped my left clavicle playing Shaun White during my first experience going super big in a super pipe snowboarding. The healing took longer than I wanted, but my ortho kept pushing a 'wait for it' approach. Here is a 15 degree x-ray at two months, no surgery, and I was weak but mostly ROM and strength felt like it was returning. Yikes it looked bad! But...

So first, a recap: it's two years later and I never got surgery. I am a big swimmer so was quite aggravated at this break, which really impeded my swimming, bringing along with it a nice 'click and strain' feel when I first got back in the pool. Two or three months from this moment I had my first triathlon (olympic distance) scheduled. By this time I had not gotten back to swimming I think. But at the three month mark, I was able to get back in the pool and slowly build up swimming form/confidence again. I ended up finishing the tri without trouble, way out of shape relative to what I had hoped, but no matter: finishing a tri with a recent break and without surgery was pretty exciting.

Since that time I've regained full motion, strength, alignment, and swim form. I've even gotten back my butterfly stroke (didn't have pre-break lol). On those grounds, I'd say that not getting surgery was for certain the right call. I do have a nice bump on my shoulder from it, but it's a great story, and serious bragging rights for still being really active/athletic and having recovered naturally. My thoughts: if you aren't a professional (i.e. paid, sponsored, funded) athlete and you have a choice (from your ortho, NOT a forum!), try naturally first. It took me three months of being unsure before my bone 'took' (and it was about 2cm of separation). Now it's 100% and I swear it feels stronger because of the 'extra bone plating' :).

NOW! Fast forward (lol): last weekend, enjoying my second snowboard trip out this season, topping off a great day in the park with a few runs down the back side of the mountain. A less exciting circumstance, I got run into from behind as I rode down a mostly empty slope (granted I was the one flying and the guy might not have seen me/been able to avoid me..whoops). An otherwise simple fall turned into some lever action I think I knocked me quick onto my shoulder, and snap!

Anyway, only 1cm of separation this time, but I have matching collarbones now! :) Going the same route: eat lots of broccoli (much more calcium than milk!), keep in sling even at night for a couple weeks (otherwise your body forgets and you will try to roll over with it), and probably three weeks til I start trying to jog, ride bike machine. Like previous break, bone length looks like it'll be unaffected and recovery will be to 100%. I'm optimistic, amazed what the body can do on its own, and am only preaching my anecdote ;). I'm 30 by the way (strike findings #1 against me =/).

Here's latest break (right) at day three:

I'll try to remember to post follow ups!

If that's the route that you and your arthropod have settled on, that's what matters. Opinions of uninformed strangers are really irrelevant. If you've read this thread for any length of time, especially in the recent past, you'll see that some are convinced they clavicle fracture experts and honorary orthopedic surgeons. There's no doubt that the meta-study mentioned by your doctor will cause those quack experts much consternation. Stories such as yours are needed to show that surgery isn't the only fix. The mentioned meta-study reinforces that point and the idea that not having surgery does not, as claimed by others, always result in deformity and loss of function. Good luck on your healing, and here's hoping the people behind you see you next time.

Four week update. Things are ok but just getting annoyed with the whole process in general. Pain is better but my shoulder is still very stuck. I have been doing the exercises a lot but it's not helping to change the way my shoulder was already stuck before the surgery. It's actually a little worse than before. I am pretty sure that I will have to do PT to get it better. Good amount of numbness under my scar and in my armpit but it doesn't bother me too much. Still itching some. My main problem right now is horrendous back pain from only being able to sleep on my back in one position all night long. I can't wait until I can sleep on my side some. I tried to sleep on my opposite side some but it still hurts too much to do that. My scar is looking great. It will hardly be noticeable after a while I think. I have my next appt in two weeks and I will ask about PT. Not using the sling anymore. Weaning off of it over time worked well for me. Here is a pic of my scar now.

Dane Girl said:
Four week update. Things are ok but just getting annoyed with the whole process in general. Pain is better but my shoulder is still very stuck. I have been doing the exercises a lot but it's not helping to change the way my shoulder was already stuck before the surgery. It's actually a little worse than before. I am pretty sure that I will have to do PT to get it better. Good amount of numbness under my scar and in my armpit but it doesn't bother me too much. Still itching some. My main problem right now is horrendous back pain from only being able to sleep on my back in one position all night long. I can't wait until I can sleep on my side some. I tried to sleep on my opposite side some but it still hurts too much to do that. My scar is looking great. It will hardly be noticeable after a while I think. I have my next appt in two weeks and I will ask about PT. Not using the sling anymore. Weaning off of it over time worked well for me. Here is a pic of my scar now.
It's gonna take longer to regain range of motion since you went so long before repairs were done. Tendons and ligaments shorten and take a while to regain optimum function. Frustration is normal. The best you can do however is follow the advice of your doc and PT and work hard at the PT.

Yes, it is amazing how broken bones can mend through the fusion process.

My broken clavicle was similiar to EvalCrux break. Even though it was 140% displaced with some small shards, it didn't overlap and ended up mending quit nicley by itself. When a woman (who was most likely texting) pulled out in front of me on an interstate highway, I had about 1/3 of a second to react. Unfortunately, I was driving an older truck without airbags (that will never happen again.) So, I T-boned her going 65-70 miles an hour. I hit her in what could only be called an explosive impact. I locked both arms on the steering wheel, which ripped it off, then my head hit the windshield. Luckily, I didn't get ejected instead I woke up in the hospital two hours later..happy to be alive.

Of course the impact reverberated throughout my whole torso. Starting with my left arm (at first they thought it was broken), then the broken left clavicle, onto the broken sternum which hemmoraged, then on down to 12 broken ribs, around to 3 fractured vetrebra, and finally to two shattered knee caps. Ouch.. Anyway, I am a swimmer too and now I am thankful that instead of screwing up my arm or shoulder bones, the collarbone acted as sort of a release value and took the impact. I have had enough shoulder rotor cuff problems in my swimming career and didn't need anymore. I'm also happy it took out my left clavicle instead of my right one.

I am fine now except for one little hiccup in late summer. I was prunning one of our trees with an extended pole pruner. All the weight and presssure went on the broken clavicle and the next day the broken area on the collarbone hurt like crazy. I started thinking I might have seperated it or worse yet, broken it again. So, I just let it be for about three days while taking anti-inflame medications. It settled down and so I got back into my training regime and it never hurt again.

Lastly, I'm now fully from the school of just letting the clavicle mend by itself. Unless, of course an extreme break or something warrants the plate and screws. My experience gives me a lot of reasons why I feel this way but in the end I think it will just heal stronger than a plate. Regardless, of the potenial problems the plate surgery can create. So, I too, would go along with EvalCrux and say you can always go ahead after 3-6 months and have the surgery if for some reason it does not heal properly. Actually, my general surgeon told me that one of his patients waited about 6 months to have the operation, had the surgery and he is good as new now. But, that is up to the patient and surgeon.. my opinion is just that an opinion..

Happy New Year!

DN, sounds like it's going well. I started badminton, cycling and jogging on weeks 8 and 9 post op. I will start riding probably next week. I don't trust my arm the way I did before, but it's still improving. I won't lift anything heavy above my head yet. Pnkcoral, you seem to have had major trauma, I hope your knee caps won't bother too much :( I was glad that if I had to get a fracture, it was the clavicle. I didn't want the operation if it wasn't needed, but truthfully, my shoulder was so short and ugly that I was glad to have the operation when the bones position had worsened. Plus, I would've been on a sick leave much longer if the bone had been left to heal on it's own. But yes, it's always better if you don't need an operation, I agree on that. I had to add that Danegirl, your scar looks already much better than mine. Mine is rather red and wider than I'd hope, but it's fading. But your scar is really nice.

Thanks AB. I am really happy with my scar. I think the tattoo helps for sure to camouflage it. But it is very thin and flat and has no redness at all. I am actually surprised. I expected a lot worse. I really thought the plate would protrude a lot too but it doesn't at all. The surgeon said that it would hardly be noticeable and I didn't really believe him but he was right.

I wouldn't worry much about the plate protuding, but for the symmetry(length) of the shoulders. I too had the surgery, hope there is perfect allignment of the break and the length of the clavicle is the same as before.

Dane Girl, it barely looks like you even have a scar. Mine is 10 times worse but has faded a bit over the past year. I think the doctors try harder for you girlies. My surgeon gave me a nice battle wound.

Glad to hear you are doing well.

On a side note, I bench pressed 200 lbs yesterday (91 kg). The shoulder didn't budge at all but my chest is hurting today. I am 11 months post op.

B