EddyV,

I am not really to surprised that in your profession you would see a lot of people opting for plate surgery. However, generally speaking, I would be hesitant to say (from my own experience and from all of the large studies done throughout the years) that surgery is the best option for normal breaks in the clavicle. This of course would not be the case for mulitply breaks in the clavicle, older people with weaker bones, smokers, etc. I have the feeling that you see a lot of folks in various athletic fields or people that are inordinately concerned about their clavicle and shoulders, so as to get back to their sport as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, I think a majority of people are now being shuttle and cajoled into clavicle surgery ( that most likely do not need it) for unethical reasons. I was a good example of this scenario. I was 63 yrs. and in good health when I girl pulled out on a highway while texting and I t-boned her going about 65 m/h. I had some 14 broken bones mainly in my torso but recently found out that the sternum was the most serious. It broke and punched on through to my arota but did not rupture it. If so I would not be her writing this message. My collar bone was a good clean break in the middle but by the time I left the hospital with them constantly throwing me around for x-rays, it become 140% displaced, Both of my surgeons continually tried to get me to have surgery on my clavicle through intimidation, fear, and basically saying I was risking my future for not doing it.
Fortunately, I was just to sick with fever and pain from all the other injuries to have it done right a way, so I begged off.

I too was highly concerned because I have been a swimmer my whole life and needed that bone and my shoulder to continue my active lifestyle. I was immobile for my first two weeks because of various injuries but then started my own rehab program. At six weeks I was swimming a half mile in a local hot springs. At two months I was back in the pool training. It has now been about 10 months and not only has it completely fused together but I believe that whole bone is stronger and thicker now than it was before. Tuesday, I swam for 2 hours hard. 25% aerobic and 75% interval sprints. (15) 100yd (free, back, breast) with 10 sec. rest (10) 75yd backstroke 15 sec., (20) 50 yd mixed sprints with 30 seconds rest. and then the real test a lot of 25yd butterfly. The next day I was a little sore in my knees where I had fractures but felt absolutley no pain in the clavicle or shoulder. Nothing, Nada!

I now feel that it would have been a big mistake and fortutious hap-in-stance not to have a plate and all that hardware put into such a crucial spot for me. Not only has the collar break fused together but all the other 13 ribs, sternum, veterbrae, knees and even my sight in my left eye appears to have healed itself. The whole process has left me in total amazment! When I now read about all the problems that everyone on this board is having from plate surgery, I just thank my lucky stars that I was not one of them...

I can answer any questions that might help you. I know now more than I should about the topic. A Lot of free time I had lately to put to some use. Best!

I broke my collarbone on March 03/14 .The Doctor told me it should heal naturally.He gave me 90% chance it will heal without surgery.
But it's 3rd week now and i can feel my bones are still moving and it hearts.
My next appointment will be for one week then i'll see how it looks on x-ray.
This is my x-ray after one week of the accident..what do you think ?

Originally Posted by trucker77
I broke my collarbone on March 03/14 .The Doctor told me it should heal naturally.He gave me 90% chance it will heal without surgery.

Look at how much shorter that is. That's how it will heal and be for the rest of your life without surgery. The bones almost never move back to where they should be. If it heals naturally they will just stick together like that. I'm not telling you what to do but make sure you know the different possible outcomes.

trucker77 said:
thanks for quick reply!    You are right, it looks 2 cm shorter now .I didn't even think about that.
bsbs1876 has used a very careful wording to describe the situation. your bone has been shortened by 2 cm and it will remain like this forever giving you a lot of problems since your affected side will not be the same as before. your muscles will change and you will feel the difference all the time even when the two parts fuse. the only way to avoid all this mess is to go have the surgery and let your doctor align the two parts, there is no other way to become as you were before

Reactions: paulasmith13
I broke my collarbone a while back and had a nail put in. I didn't want to get the bump that a lot of people get from just using a sling and not performing surgery. I was referred to go to a "CollarboneDoc". My recovery was amazing! Much quicker than I would have ever expected. I honestly can't believe more people aren't using this method yet. I would definitely recommend checking to see if a "CollarboneDoc" is in your area. The website is just www.collarbonedoc.com I believe. Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by pmack
I broke my collarbone a while back and had a nail put in. I didn't want to get the bump that a lot of people get from just using a sling and not performing surgery. I was referred to go to a "CollarboneDoc". My recovery was amazing! Much quicker than I would have ever expected. I honestly can't believe more people aren't using this method yet. I would definitely recommend checking to see if a "CollarboneDoc" is in your area. The website is just www.collarbonedoc.com I believe. Hope this helps!
I went to four different orthopedic surgeons when I was seeking surgical treatment. They all agreed on one thing - that the pinning method has a higher chance of non-union and does not provide a rigid fixation that the plate and screws does. If you Google any professional cyclist or motorist who has broken their collar bone (and there are many - Lance Armstrong, Frank Schleck, Dani Pedrosa, to name a few), you will notice that they all had the plate and screw surgery performed by top notch surgeons. This is because they all agree that it provides a higher chance of union and quicker return to sport. The only disadvantage is that it yields the possibility of a second surgery for removal. Both Frank Schleck and Dani Pedrosa had theirs removed. I believe Lance left his in.

Thanks for the feedback! I know this particular type of pin is fairly new. It's flexible when it first goes in, so it shapes to the clavicle bone unlike others. My doctor told me that he had used this pin on several of his patients to fix their malunions, nonunions or bothersome plates as well.

Originally Posted by pmack
Thanks for the feedback! I know this particular type of pin is fairly new. It's flexible when it first goes in, so it shapes to the clavicle bone unlike others. My doctor told me that he had used this pin on several of his patients to fix their malunions, nonunions or bothersome plates as well.
In my opinion the best advantage of the pin is cosmetics. It's a smaller incision and no visible hardware. Since women have their clavicles on display regularly I think this option is definitely worth looking into. Me being a man, I am content with my 5 inch scar and 10 screws on my collar bone for now. The only reason I will remove it is because I don't want hardware in my body forever. Even if I had a pin I would want it removed.

Originally Posted by bsbs1876

I went to four different orthopedic surgeons when I was seeking surgical treatment. They all agreed on one thing - that the pinning method has a higher chance of non-union and does not provide a rigid fixation that the plate and screws does. If you Google any professional cyclist or motorist who has broken their collar bone (and there are many - Lance Armstrong, Frank Schleck, Dani Pedrosa, to name a few), you will notice that they all had the plate and screw surgery performed by top notch surgeons. This is because they all agree that it provides a higher chance of union and quicker return to sport. The only disadvantage is that it yields the possibility of a second surgery for removal. Both Frank Schleck and Dani Pedrosa had theirs removed. I believe Lance left his in.
I was mistaken here BTW. Lance also had his stainless steel plate and 12 screws removed in late 2011 - https://twitter.com/lancearmstrong/status/191988497203204097. For some reason this comforts me in taking mine out.

Reactions: paulasmith13
Originally Posted by bsbs1876

I was mistaken here BTW. Lance also had his stainless steel plate and 12 screws removed in late 2011 - https://twitter.com/lancearmstrong/status/191988497203204097. For some reason this comforts me in taking mine out.
tienes toda la razon la placa y los tornillos es la mejor opcion (Y)

I can speak spanish
not-interested.png

x-ray taken today March 31 /14 nex app in about one month, Doctor says the bone is in good position, he would be surprise if it doesn't heal .

Screwed,you should get that thing out , for me has made a huge difference , the tingling and burning pain has dissaperead.

Originally Posted by berygu
Screwed,you should get that thing out , for me has made a huge difference , the tingling and burning pain has dissaperead.
berygu, you got your plate removed? When? How did it all go?

I just took a hockey stick to the chin on the weekend and ended up with more stitches. I am really racking these things up lately.

x-ray taken today March 31 /14 nex app in about one month, Doctor says the bone is in good position, he would be surprise if it doesn't heal .

Good luck on your road to recovery! I’m sure after all the rehab and physio is done you will be back to doing all the sports you used to do and more. For now just focus on regaining your range of motion and strength, and nourishing yourself with good bone healing foods to speed up the recovery process. Aim for foods rich in Calcium, and vitamins C, K, and D such as dark leafy greens, broccoli, herbs, berries, oranges, almonds, eggs, and fish and avoid foods that cause inflammation like red meats, sugar, and alcohol.