Broken Leg

Joel K

Apr 2, 2012
On my 5 minute commute to work the other day I was hit head on by a car. I was headed down a slight grade and he was headed up in his nissan truck. I thought he saw me but he turned right in front of me and ended up crushing my knee with the grill and sending me into the air, landed on my back in a ditch. No softer place I could've landed. ANyway, broke my lateral tibial plateau (depressed) and femural condyle. Also have to have a tendon and meniscus repaired. I ended up doing a little research online and decided to get a lawyer. I guess i am just looking to see if anyone has had a similiar injury and dealt with the legal side. What kind of outcomes and recovery time. I usually train 12-17 hours a week and race competitively. My ortho said I should be 98-99 percent but obviously couldn't be certain. I am just really bummed right now and am worried of what this means for my racing. I am grateful to be alive as it could have been much worse. Thanks in advance. Be safe out there.

On a positive note you're alive!!! And it wasn't worse injury wise. Another plus is that the driver stopped.

Knees are funny things, you could recover fully or only partially. You will have to physical therapy, and you'll have to follow their instructions to the letter is you expect full recovery. Make sure you tell your doctor and your physical therapist that you do race bicycles and you want to continue doing so after recovery because they can tailor make your therapy to help in that area.

You definitely need an attorney, I'm glad to see you got one. The attorney also needs to know you race bicycles because if by some slim chance you can no longer do that then that becomes a life altering event and worth more in a settlement.

Outcome and recovery time is very much individualistic. Your doctor will have a far better clue then anyone here because he knows your exact medical situation.

I'm glad you weren't more seriously injured or killed.