broken spoke on my Dura Ace Wh-7850sl wheelset

Jonathond

Jun 16, 2011
a non-drive side spoke broke on my wheelset, and i figured that it was a pretty straight forward fix with a 306mm straight pull spoke, but now that the phil wood spokes have arrived and I look closer at the wheel, the configuration looks...different. The spokes thread into the hub--no problems there, and the head is held back by the nipple--fine. BUT...when I pulled out the broken spoke, it left behind a hole that was too big for the spoke. I looked at the broken spoke and it appears to be threaded into a sleeve that somehow stays in the hub (black magic, perhaps?!?!).

That is my long way of asking, do I need to buy Wh-7850sl specific replacement spokes from Shimano, or am I missing something and any straight-pull spokes can be used?

http://www.ridesaint.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/WH/EV-WH-7850-SL-R-2722D_v1_m56577569830688501.pdf

thank you for that schematic. I've actually looked at it before, and thought to myself last night that I should revisit it to see if it showed anything. Now I see the "hub nut". Thank you for helping me out. The spoke sheared off right at the "hub nut"with a clean break. I'll have a hard time getting it out. Maybe I can find a small enough bit to reverse drill it out. Currently the hubnut looks like a replacement pin as it is smooth on all sides :eek:(

Jonathon