Build L4 % duration

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by obreeforme, Jan 10, 2013.

1. obreeforme

obreeforme New Member

I have recently completed a 12 week base period with a Friel style 3 on 1 recovery format. I rode approximately 500 hours last year as only just returning to race. This base I ended with weeks of 14.5, 16, 17 respectively. Most of which was boundary of L2/3 (at or around aerobic threshold), cadence pyramids, form sprints and weights work in the gym. My question is now that I have started to raise the anti how much percentage of my ride time should I devote to L4 and what intensity? My Sunday is and always will be 4-5 hours group ride with approx 4500ft climbing at or around threshold (L4). Monday is always a recovery ride. Because my focus is road racing with a secondary TT focus I need to sprinkle jumps sprints and anaerobic work here and there to gain an overall fitness. First race is 12 weeks from now! There are B races before but results are of no real interest just training effect. Because of work getting busy after winter I can really only squeeze 10-12 hours now some of which is trainer

Tags:

2. scottz123

scottz123 New Member

If you are following Friel - don't you have a current copy of a training bible?

3. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

You are not doing 4-5 hrs at or around L4, my guess is if you were using power vs HR you would see that a fraction of that time is true L4 wattage. The only way to train L4 via HR is to do lots of solo efforts on flat courses otherwise it is a jumble mix of L5/6 and L1/2 with some L4 mixed in. I would say L4 is the first to go in those long group efforts, either you are on the front, responding to surges, or hanging on on inclines (all mostly L5/6 efforts) OR are sitting in to recover (all mostly L1/2 some L3 if the pace gets high on flat roads). In the end it makes a neat solid L4 HR graph though because any more cardiovascular demand and you are pushing the boundaries of getting dropped.

4. obreeforme

obreeforme New Member

LOL, 4500ft of climbing at L4. Not 4-5 hours riding:). If I could ride L4 for 4-5 I think I may not need advice. Yeah I use powertap plus polar HRM... I do have a current copy of the bible but while it offers a lot in the way of variance of workouts in the Force and Muscular endurance areas I always think experience from ground level is best. If you guys have experience I value that more than a book I can't interact with..

5. obreeforme

obreeforme New Member

Reason we use climbs for L4 is basically to negate wind as much as possible and as you say make it a proper individual L4 burst. Any percentages of total workout? Apart from Sunday I prefer most of my L4 on trainer as its so easy to stay on a specific watt. Not good for variance but never get it all do we