Caad12 front derailleur issue

geebe

Sep 1, 2008
I'm excited about building this bike, but.....

The front derailleur (SRAM, 10s, braze on), when shifting to the large ring, hits a small triangular shaped piece of metal on the back edge of the hanger. I have attached a picture (not mine, some guy on weight weenies...I apologize if this is unacceptable) that shows the offending piece. It is towards the very top left of the photo, and literally extends off the back of the seat tube.

I'm not sure what the purpose this little tab serves. It is like an extension of the hanger. Not an afterthought but maybe Cannondale thought this was a nice way to transition the hanger to the seat tube?

It is part of the hanger, but this little piece is not attached to anything....it just sits there and apparently gets in the way.

Am I forgetting to install a spacer or something? Something that would move the derailleur back a few mm's. I guess I could file it off, but this seems really weird! Is this Cannondales' way of telling me to move to 11s?

Any suggestions would help.

I did get the Quarq to fit BTW. It required moving spacers around to center the crank, and get it tight, but I got it.

Attachments

• CAAD12 Front der.jpg
    CAAD12 Front der.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 30
The extended braze-on tab is a stiffening element. With the advent of the ultra-accurate mechanical units and then the servo motor shifted electronic systems stiffeners both integrated and those mounted to the hanger along with the derailleur have become the norm.

There's a bunch of spacers sold to move derailleurs rearward...Cannondale even makes a few of their own. Check with your local shop or hit Google. A longer derailleur mounting screw is usually included with the spacer.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/webbymono/50262899/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...--fcxPuM61X9H4tJwHNWHsEw&ust=1477526843401735

Thank you! I never knew such a thing existed. I ordered one and I think it will give me that ~2mm of rearward movement I need.

Thanks again!