Cannondale caad12 quarq elsa r compatibility?

geebe

Sep 1, 2008
I have a Cannondale CAAD12 with a BB30A. The "A", as you probably know, means that the BB is not symmetrical and sticks out and extra 5mm on the non-drive side....for some reason. I it is still just 73mm wide however.

I also have a Quarq Elsa R powermeter that I just took off an older PF30 BB frame which is also a 73mm wide BB. It gave me years of service on that bike with no problems.

However, for some reason, as I install this thing, I get nowhere near the 48-54Nm of torque specified before I start to get a lot of bearing drag. A LOT. Like I'm worried that I'm going to shear off the snap-rings inside the BB and press the bearings all the way to the middle. I started tightening it yesterday but something seemed odd so I stopped. Then I tried to spin the cranks and they almost wouldn't spin!

Quite literally, finger tight is enough to remove all play.

There is a 10mm spacer that goes on the drive side and then there is that split washer that takes up the play after you tighten everything down. They're both in there where they're supposed to be. Those are the only spacers, and the split washer (with the allen bolt) is backed all the off. Still, I can get absolutely NO PLAY at a ridiculously low torque.

When I look at it, tightened down to a point where there is no play, the chain line looks like it will be ok. The distance between the small chain-ring and the chainstay looks similar to what I have on my other bike. The whole thing just seems weird though.

Did my mechanic not seat the BB30 bearings all the way against the snap-rings when he installed them? I can't think of another reason why it wouldn't fit correctly.

Anyway, any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Shades of Campy UltraTorque Creak/Tick!

These BB issues are getting to be insane. And yes, too much preload and you will roach those bearings in just a couple hundred miles...or less.

A quick look-see will verify that your bearings are properly seated or not. A good flashlight and dental pick set will be helpful.

Assuming they are installed correctly your next email should be to Quarq to verify compatibility with a 20xx Caad12 with xxxx type bottom bracket. Again, I'm assuming your Caad12 alsdo has a BB30 bottom bracket?

Verify that your mechanic did or did not install adapter rings on the BB with shoulders that are adding width to the assembly.

I'm also going to assume the split washer is threaded onto the left side/non-drive side of the crank and that the left side crank arm fixing bolt is what is supposed to be torqued to 48-54 Nm.

No clue as to your crank arm/chainring clearance to the chainstay with the 10 MM spacer in place, but would it be possible to try a 9MM or 8 MM spacer?

Thank you for your reply. I did get it to fit.

I had to remove the split-washer and then add in some shims to get the cranks centered over the BB. I think it will work.

Quarq said it should fit, and it does but it took some doing. That extra 5mm on the BB really threw a wrench in the works!

Shades of Campy UltraTorque Creak/Tick!

These BB issues are getting to be insane. And yes, too much preload and you will roach those bearings in just a couple hundred miles...or less.

A quick look-see will verify that your bearings are properly seated or not. A good flashlight and dental pick set will be helpful.

Assuming they are installed correctly your next email should be to Quarq to verify compatibility with a 20xx Caad12 with xxxx type bottom bracket. Again, I'm assuming your Caad12 alsdo has a BB30 bottom bracket?

Verify that your mechanic did or did not install adapter rings on the BB with shoulders that are adding width to the assembly.

I'm also going to assume the split washer is threaded onto the left side/non-drive side of the crank and that the left side crank arm fixing bolt is what is supposed to be torqued to 48-54 Nm.

No clue as to your crank arm/chainring clearance to the chainstay with the 10 MM spacer in place, but would it be possible to try a 9MM or 8 MM spacer?

Now the new product Acebeam L17. This is a flashlight. Acebeam L17 has 1,400 lumens, can shoot up to 802 meters long and has a battery. It is a long range tactical rechargeable hunting flashlight. There are three colors: red, white and green. And now we have a discount! https://nitetorch.com/go/t1w0