Cant decide...pppppllleeeeassseee help my confusion! :) Vivacé or Giro?

bigempty

Oct 24, 2003
Hello all!
I was looking very closely at the 2004 Avanti Vivacé, but then today i saw a 2003 Avanti Giro for only $100 (AUS) more then what the vivace was. Seems like the groupset on the giro is worth the extra money! only problem is that they only have the medium size frame which, not having a clue, i think i might need the large frame! im 5'9 and medium built. Plus the store that the giro was at the staff were less the helpful and im not sure about the fitting they would give me!
anyway, hope someone can help me out!
thanks in advance! :)

You can sort of estimate your size using some of the online fit calculators; I've heard a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest the one at www.competitivecyclist.com is pretty good, as far as online ones go. (At least it'll give you a decent idea..)

Also keep in mind that both of your options are compact frames, which is going to give you a little more leeway in terms of finding a half-decent fit (by changing seatpost and stem sizes.)

It'll also mean that some numbers from the online fit calculator will need to be messed around with a bit to match up to a compact geometry; you'll need to know things like the 'virtual' top tube length of the Avanti, etc.

Give yourself a bit of a head-start and inform yourself about the whole fitting deal, then go ahead and see what happens in the shop. At least then, you'll be able have a "seat of the pants" feel for the sizing, and be able to tell whether they just want to sell you the bike, or are genuinely trying to find the best fit for you.

Just so you know....i bought a giro frame 3 years ago and have had it replaced 4 times through warranty. Everytime the frame cracked through the rear dropout on the drive side. One frame only lasted 6 weeks!!. This is a design fault which has never been remedied by Avanti and i would err on the side of caution when considering an Avanti road bike below a model like the Corsa.

Oh...... that cant be good :p

Considering the fact that I was getting an OCR2, but now the guy at the shop said to get an Avanti Vivace Pro, as it will suit me better for racing....