Chain Cleaner And Lubricant

I don't believe in buying application specific cleaners and grease.
Typically you pay more and the formula is the same as generic, it's all marketing.
Get some decent all purpose degreaser and generic white grease from the hardware store.
I use "Mean Green" to clean and "Lucas Oil White Lithium Grease" to lubricate. Cost me about $8 a year.
I used to use kerosene on my motorcycle chain that stuff works amazing and is dirt cheap.

I used to have that can of ordinary grease that I regularly apply on the chains especially during the rainy season or after cleaning the bike with a hose. My brother said that grease will prevent rusty chains that is dangerous for a biker when running fast. For cleaning the bike, it's always wet rag but when it is full of mud, I use the hose to make it easier for me. But then I had to wipe it with a cloth. I used to that when I was younger but in recent years, our housemaid does that for me.

I use WD-40 to clean and loosen the grime off of the chain. It either falls off or you can just wipe off the excess. From there you can either use lithium grease in a can, or just use motor oil.

I doubt that grease can penetrate into the rollers and linkages of a chain. You are better off using an oil that can be pulled in by capillary action.

Quote by Maydog:
"I doubt that grease can penetrate into the rollers and linkages of a chain."

Some of the aerosol greases penetrate well. They go on as a thin fluid and dry to a tacky grease film. Castrol and Liquid Wrench both make spray-on grease that works well as a bicycle chain lubricant either as a stand-alone or applied with oil. I usually hose the chain down with the grease, then a light topping of oil.

Despite the warnings, I have used Simple Green as a degreaser/cleaner for years and continue to do so. Allow any water-based cleaner to thoroughly dry before applying lubricant and riding.

No thank you. Parafin messy and time consuming to apply. Cleaning a dirty chain that has been previously paraffin coated is also a pain.

Now, 'if' a fellow is trying to emulate Ultra Fast Chains and add in MoS2 and PTFE in an effort to get the lowest Watt consumption...have at it.

* Pour a suitable amount of parafin into a sealable jar.
* Insert chain.
* Leave chain in jar for a desirable length of time.
* Give jar a good shake (after desirable length of time).
* Remove chain from jar and wipe with cloth.
* Re-assemble chain on bike.
* Lube chain with preferred lubricant.

Work for me.