chain keeps falling off

tinyang

Jul 26, 2011
Hello - I was hoping I could get some suggestions here as to what to do about my chain falling off my bike. I have a Diamondback Kalamar XL and I use it for commuting to and from work twice a week (11 mi one way). Whenever I hit a sizable bump or curb, the chain comes off it's track and I need to stop and put it back on track before continuing on my way. This seems to happen once a day on average. I have been slowing down for bumps and it helps a bit, but it seems if the chain were tighter or had more tension, it would not fall off track so easily. Is there anything I can do to put more tension on the chain? Thanks.

It's usually a front derailleur problem and can be cured with an adjustment but as stated could be the chain needs a couple links taken out. Also check and make sure nothing is bent or excessively worn.

OK, I'll check it out. Thanks for the helpful advice. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

So I looked into this, it turns out my bike does not have a front derailleur. Does this mean I should shorten my chain? Nothing looks bent or worn really that I can tell, I've only had this bike for a few months. The length the chain is now is how it came from the store when new. Could I have broken it in by now and stretched it out? I have certainly ridden it 100s of miles since getting it. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif