chain tension

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark McNeill, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to MartinM:
    > A quick question as someone has kidnapped Sheldon's site;
    > I am just in the middle of fitting a lower cassette and chain, in granny
    > gear there is still loads of slack after removing two links. Is there a
    > recommended method?
    > (52x39 on front, 13-26 on back)
    >
    > TIA

    Having just fitted all my old bits to a new frame:

    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml

    I used the largest cog to largest chainring method:

    Put the chain over the largest ring and the largest cog, without running
    it through the derailleurs.

    Add two links (1 inch). (Remember to include the Superlink, if you have
    one.)

    Break the chain, thread it through the mechs, join and check for
    large/large and small/small combos.

    --
    Mark, UK.

    "I like also the men who study the Great Pyramid, with a view to
    deciphering its mystical lore. Many great books have been
    written on this subject, some of which have been presented to me
    by their authors. It is a singular fact that the Great Pyramid
    always predicts the history of the world accurately up to the
    date of publication of the book in question, but after that date
    it becomes less reliable."

    Tags:

  2. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    A quick question as someone has kidnapped Sheldon's site;
    I am just in the middle of fitting a lower cassette and chain, in granny
    gear there is still loads of slack after removing two links. Is there a
    recommended method?
    (52x39 on front, 13-26 on back)

    TIA

  3. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > A quick question as someone has kidnapped Sheldon's site;
    > I am just in the middle of fitting a lower cassette and chain, in granny
    > gear there is still loads of slack after removing two links. Is there a
    > recommended method?
    > (52x39 on front, 13-26 on back)

    Sheldon appears to be in full control: "The best technique for setting
    chain length is to thread the chain onto the large/large combination,
    without running it through the rear derailer. Mesh the two ends on to
    the large chainwheel so that they could be connected (outer link meets
    inner link), then make the chain one complete link (one inch) longer
    than that. In almost all cases, this will give the optimum length".
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  4. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Mark McNeill" <marknospam33@gesualdo.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Response to MartinM:
    > > A quick question as someone has kidnapped Sheldon's site;
    > > I am just in the middle of fitting a lower cassette and chain, in granny
    > > gear there is still loads of slack after removing two links. Is there a
    > > recommended method?
    > > (52x39 on front, 13-26 on back)
    > >
    > > TIA

    > Having just fitted all my old bits to a new frame:
    >
    > http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml
    >

    > I used the largest cog to largest chainring method:
    >
    > Put the chain over the largest ring and the largest cog, without running
    > it through the derailleurs.
    >
    > Add two links (1 inch). (Remember to include the Superlink, if you have
    > one.)
    >
    > Break the chain, thread it through the mechs, join and check for
    > large/large and small/small combos.

    Thanks, that does sound familiar, will try it

  5. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "m-gineering" <ikmotgeenspam@m-gineeringpunt.ennel.nl> wrote in message
    > MartinM wrote:
    > >
    > > A quick question as someone has kidnapped Sheldon's site;
    > > I am just in the middle of fitting a lower cassette and chain, in granny
    > > gear there is still loads of slack after removing two links. Is there a
    > > recommended method?
    > > (52x39 on front, 13-26 on back)
    > >

    > Sheldon appears to be in full control: "The best technique for setting
    > chain length is to thread the chain onto the large/large combination,
    > without running it through the rear derailer. Mesh the two ends on to
    > the large chainwheel so that they could be connected (outer link meets
    > inner link), then make the chain one complete link (one inch) longer
    > than that. In almost all cases, this will give the optimum length".
    > --
    > ---
    > Marten Gerritsen
    >
    > INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    > www.m-gineering.nl

  6. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "m-gineering" <ikmotgeenspam@m-gineeringpunt.ennel.nl> wrote in message
    > MartinM wrote:
    > >
    > > A quick question as someone has kidnapped Sheldon's site;
    > > I am just in the middle of fitting a lower cassette and chain, in granny
    > > gear there is still loads of slack after removing two links. Is there a
    > > recommended method?
    > > (52x39 on front, 13-26 on back)
    > >

    > Sheldon appears to be in full control: "The best technique for setting
    > chain length is to thread the chain onto the large/large combination,
    > without running it through the rear derailer. Mesh the two ends on to
    > the large chainwheel so that they could be connected (outer link meets
    > inner link), then make the chain one complete link (one inch) longer
    > than that. In almost all cases, this will give the optimum length".

    Yes that seemed to work perfectly, thanks. What is Sheldon's url?. Now to
    fix the stiff STI unit.

  7. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "MartinM" <martinm3@wcms.org.uk> wrote in message

    > Yes that seemed to work perfectly, thanks. What is Sheldon's url?. Now to
    > fix the stiff STI unit.

    His name is Sheldon Brown. He has a .com site. I think that's pretty much
    all you need to know :)

    cheers,
    clive

  8. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Clive George" <clive@xxxx-x.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "MartinM" <martinm3@wcms.org.uk> wrote in message
    >
    > > Yes that seemed to work perfectly, thanks. What is Sheldon's url?. Now

    > > fix the stiff STI unit.

    > His name is Sheldon Brown. He has a .com site. I think that's pretty much
    > all you need to know :)

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
    Yes I was confused by the Jobst Brandt and didn't see a kindly looking
    figure with an eagle on his helmet as soon as I logged in.

    And this one:
    http://www.sheldon-brown.com

    does not seem at all cycle oriented (or is it orientated?)

Share This Page