chain tension

Mark McNeill

Guest
Response to MartinM:
> A quick question as someone has kidnapped Sheldon's site;
> I am just in the middle of fitting a lower cassette and chain, in granny
> gear there is still loads of slack after removing two links. Is there a
> recommended method?
> (52x39 on front, 13-26 on back)
>
> TIA

Having just fitted all my old bits to a new frame:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml

I used the largest cog to largest chainring method:

Put the chain over the largest ring and the largest cog, without running
it through the derailleurs.

Add two links (1 inch). (Remember to include the Superlink, if you have
one.)

Break the chain, thread it through the mechs, join and check for
large/large and small/small combos.

--
Mark, UK.

"I like also the men who study the Great Pyramid, with a view to
deciphering its mystical lore. Many great books have been
written on this subject, some of which have been presented to me
by their authors. It is a singular fact that the Great Pyramid
always predicts the history of the world accurately up to the
date of publication of the book in question, but after that date
it becomes less reliable."

MartinM wrote:

> A quick question as someone has kidnapped Sheldon's site;
> I am just in the middle of fitting a lower cassette and chain, in granny
> gear there is still loads of slack after removing two links. Is there a
> recommended method?
> (52x39 on front, 13-26 on back)

Sheldon appears to be in full control: "The best technique for setting
chain length is to thread the chain onto the large/large combination,
without running it through the rear derailer. Mesh the two ends on to
the large chainwheel so that they could be connected (outer link meets
inner link), then make the chain one complete link (one inch) longer
than that. In almost all cases, this will give the optimum length".
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

"Mark McNeill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Response to MartinM:
> > A quick question as someone has kidnapped Sheldon's site;
> > I am just in the middle of fitting a lower cassette and chain, in granny
> > gear there is still loads of slack after removing two links. Is there a
> > recommended method?
> > (52x39 on front, 13-26 on back)
> >
> > TIA

> Having just fitted all my old bits to a new frame:
>
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml
>

> I used the largest cog to largest chainring method:
>
> Put the chain over the largest ring and the largest cog, without running
> it through the derailleurs.
>
> Add two links (1 inch). (Remember to include the Superlink, if you have
> one.)
>
> Break the chain, thread it through the mechs, join and check for
> large/large and small/small combos.

Thanks, that does sound familiar, will try it

"m-gineering" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MartinM wrote:
> >
> > A quick question as someone has kidnapped Sheldon's site;
> > I am just in the middle of fitting a lower cassette and chain, in granny
> > gear there is still loads of slack after removing two links. Is there a
> > recommended method?
> > (52x39 on front, 13-26 on back)
> >

> Sheldon appears to be in full control: "The best technique for setting
> chain length is to thread the chain onto the large/large combination,
> without running it through the rear derailer. Mesh the two ends on to
> the large chainwheel so that they could be connected (outer link meets
> inner link), then make the chain one complete link (one inch) longer
> than that. In almost all cases, this will give the optimum length".
> --
> ---
> Marten Gerritsen
>
> INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
> www.m-gineering.nl

"m-gineering" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MartinM wrote:
> >
> > A quick question as someone has kidnapped Sheldon's site;
> > I am just in the middle of fitting a lower cassette and chain, in granny
> > gear there is still loads of slack after removing two links. Is there a
> > recommended method?
> > (52x39 on front, 13-26 on back)
> >

> Sheldon appears to be in full control: "The best technique for setting
> chain length is to thread the chain onto the large/large combination,
> without running it through the rear derailer. Mesh the two ends on to
> the large chainwheel so that they could be connected (outer link meets
> inner link), then make the chain one complete link (one inch) longer
> than that. In almost all cases, this will give the optimum length".

Yes that seemed to work perfectly, thanks. What is Sheldon's url?. Now to
fix the stiff STI unit.

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Yes that seemed to work perfectly, thanks. What is Sheldon's url?. Now to
> fix the stiff STI unit.

His name is Sheldon Brown. He has a .com site. I think that's pretty much
all you need to know :)

cheers,
clive

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Yes that seemed to work perfectly, thanks. What is Sheldon's url?. Now

> > fix the stiff STI unit.

> His name is Sheldon Brown. He has a .com site. I think that's pretty much
> all you need to know :)

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
Yes I was confused by the Jobst Brandt and didn't see a kindly looking
figure with an eagle on his helmet as soon as I logged in.

And this one:
http://www.sheldon-brown.com

does not seem at all cycle oriented (or is it orientated?)