Chris Carmichael-Phil Jackson comparison

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ronde Champ, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Ronde Champ

    Ronde Champ Guest

    Hey,

    Chris Carmichael coaches Lance Armstrong.
    Phil Jackson coached Michael Jordan.
    Lance will win 6 titles.
    Michael won 6 titles.
    People call Chris a genius Sports Science guru.
    People call Phil a genius Zen guru.
    Without Lance and Michael, Chris and Phil are a bike shop manager and
    high school basketball coach.....at best.

    Thanks,
    Ronde Champ (w/teeth)

    Tags:

  2. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    "Ronde Champ" <rondechamp@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    >
    > Chris Carmichael coaches Lance Armstrong.
    > Phil Jackson coached Michael Jordan.
    > Lance will win 6 titles.
    > Michael won 6 titles.
    > People call Chris a genius Sports Science guru.
    > People call Phil a genius Zen guru.
    > Without Lance and Michael, Chris and Phil are a bike shop manager and
    > high school basketball coach.....at best.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ronde Champ (w/teeth)

    I think you're mixing apples and oranges. You're also counting chickens
    before they hatch.

    I don't think Carmichael holds a candle to Jackson. Jackson brought out the
    best in Jordan, but also built a team, an offense and a defense (the likes
    of which the NBA hadn't seen before [with plenty of help from Tex ...
    Winter?]) that enabled Jordan and the Jordanaires to dominate the NBA and
    blow away formidable opponents. I think Carmichael does a good job of doing
    research and synthesizing it and making up programs that work for Lance.
    But he has no organizational or administrative responsibility for the team
    or its performance. He just has to make sure Lance is ready. Period.

    Now, if you want to compare Jackson and Bruyneel, lets talk in a couple of
    weeks.

    Bob C.

  3. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "psycholist" <technico@wctel.net> wrote in message

    > "Ronde Champ" <rondechamp@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > Hey,
    > >
    > > Chris Carmichael coaches Lance Armstrong.
    > > Phil Jackson coached Michael Jordan.
    > > Lance will win 6 titles.
    > > Michael won 6 titles.
    > > People call Chris a genius Sports Science guru.
    > > People call Phil a genius Zen guru.
    > > Without Lance and Michael, Chris and Phil are a bike shop manager and
    > > high school basketball coach.....at best.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Ronde Champ (w/teeth)

    > I think you're mixing apples and oranges. You're also counting chickens
    > before they hatch.
    >
    > I don't think Carmichael holds a candle to Jackson. Jackson brought out

    the
    > best in Jordan, but also built a team, an offense and a defense (the likes
    > of which the NBA hadn't seen before [with plenty of help from Tex ...
    > Winter?]) that enabled Jordan and the Jordanaires to dominate the NBA and
    > blow away formidable opponents. I think Carmichael does a good job of

    doing
    > research

    What research is that? Or do you mean that he simply knows how to read?

    > and synthesizing it and making up programs that work for Lance.
    > But he has no organizational or administrative responsibility for the team
    > or its performance. He just has to make sure Lance is ready. Period.
    >
    > Now, if you want to compare Jackson and Bruyneel, lets talk in a couple of
    > weeks.

    Andy Coggan

  4. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Andy Coggan wrote:

    > What research is that? Or do you mean that he simply knows how to
    > read?

    It's pretty narrow minded (especially for a scientist) to think that
    research is only comprised of benchwork.

  5. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Kyle Legate" <legatek@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Andy Coggan wrote:
    > >
    > > What research is that? Or do you mean that he simply knows how to
    > > read?
    > >

    > It's pretty narrow minded (especially for a scientist) to think that
    > research is only comprised of benchwork.

    Of course there are many types of research, including reading things on the
    internet - but I wanted to know what sort of research the o.p. thought
    Carmichael performed.

    Andy Coggan

  6. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Kyle Legate" <legatek@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Andy Coggan wrote:
    > >
    > > What research is that? Or do you mean that he simply knows how to
    > > read?
    > >

    > It's pretty narrow minded (especially for a scientist) to think that
    > research is only comprised of benchwork.

    Of course there are many types of research, including reading things on the
    internet - but I wanted to know what sort of research the o.p. thought
    Carmichael performed.

    Andy Coggan

  7. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    "Andy Coggan" <acoggan@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > "psycholist" <technico@wctel.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Ronde Champ" <rondechamp@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hey,
    > > >
    > > > Chris Carmichael coaches Lance Armstrong.
    > > > Phil Jackson coached Michael Jordan.
    > > > Lance will win 6 titles.
    > > > Michael won 6 titles.
    > > > People call Chris a genius Sports Science guru.
    > > > People call Phil a genius Zen guru.
    > > > Without Lance and Michael, Chris and Phil are a bike shop manager and
    > > > high school basketball coach.....at best.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Ronde Champ (w/teeth)

    > > I think you're mixing apples and oranges. You're also counting chickens
    > > before they hatch.
    > >
    > > I don't think Carmichael holds a candle to Jackson. Jackson brought out

    > the
    > > best in Jordan, but also built a team, an offense and a defense (the

    likes
    > > of which the NBA hadn't seen before [with plenty of help from Tex ...
    > > Winter?]) that enabled Jordan and the Jordanaires to dominate the NBA

    and
    > > blow away formidable opponents. I think Carmichael does a good job of

    > doing
    > > research

    > What research is that? Or do you mean that he simply knows how to read?

    Exactly

  8. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    psycholist <technico@wctel.net> wrote:

    > I think Carmichael does a good job of doing
    > research and synthesizing it and making up programs that work for Lance.
    > But he has no organizational or administrative responsibility for the team
    > or its performance. He just has to make sure Lance is ready. Period.

    Since when is Carmichael LANCE's coach?

    Bob Schwartz
    cvcc@execpc.com

  9. warren

    warren Guest

    In article <z3wGc.6515$R36.763@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Andy
    Coggan <acoggan@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > "Kyle Legate" <legatek@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Andy Coggan wrote:
    > > >
    > > > What research is that? Or do you mean that he simply knows how to
    > > > read?
    > > >

    > > It's pretty narrow minded (especially for a scientist) to think that
    > > research is only comprised of benchwork.

    > Of course there are many types of research, including reading things on the
    > internet - but I wanted to know what sort of research the o.p. thought
    > Carmichael performed.

    Presumably he can read the data that Lance and the Doc are sharing with
    him. Is this coaching, research, or ...?

    -WG

  10. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "warren" <warren@usvhremove.com> wrote in message
    > In article <z3wGc.6515$R36.763@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Andy
    > Coggan <acoggan@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    > > "Kyle Legate" <legatek@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > > It's pretty narrow minded (especially for a scientist) to think that
    > > > research is only comprised of benchwork.

    > > Of course there are many types of research, including reading things on

    the
    > > internet - but I wanted to know what sort of research the o.p. thought
    > > Carmichael performed.

    > Presumably he can read the data that Lance and the Doc are sharing with
    > him. Is this coaching, research, or ...?

    It's clearly coaching, since research is shared endeavor.

    Andy Coggan

Share This Page