Commuter pack

Ean Watkins

Dec 28, 2016
Does anyone know of an inexpensive commuter pack or know what the best method is to get one? I dont know any of the cheaper brands on amazon enough to trust the reviews but really can't afford to dish out what some of these guys are asking for. I work in tech for my job so I need to bring my laptop and sometimes my raspberry pis to work and my current pack isn't waterproof and sits horribly on my back.

If you can get an Ortlieb thingy they are nukeproof and repairable... I wouldn't mind getting one used either...

Brooks also makes some more stylish stuff (the non airline - accident look, with subtle colors etc).

Or you could just get a raincover for your existing gear.

Specialized introduced a commuting bags line recently too..

Commuting gear is whatever you use for commuting. If it works, it works. And having "commuter" on the label is no guarantee that it'll work for you.
I'd avoid anything particularly lightweight, as its possible to wear through the fabric by carrying stuff with defined corners like books or laptops.
Personally I'd also avoid backpacks for running, as they're usually designed to sit higher, almost on the shoulder blades.
While good for some things, this means you carry more weight on your arms when riding.
If you're on a budget, pick any backpack with a waist and chest strap that looks the right size. You can even get one from a thrift store or something. Try to find one that sits low on the back. Then buy a hi-viz, rain proof backpack cover.https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N...7-c7d3-5b5e-a47e-56f1befc65d5&pf_rd_i=3400441
Something like this:

Although for commuting I do prefer to use a rack and pannier.
Gets rid of the sweaty patch on the back that backpacks tends to create.

For commuting it makes sense to use fenders anyhow, so there isn't much lost to the bike by adding a rack.

thanks guys I'll take a look at these, I'll be using an old race bike and would love a specialized pocket to hold my cleats when I'm not wearing them, using my old racer because I'm commuting about 20miles. not trying for a PR but some of the areas I'll biking through cars tend to go pretty fast

Cars? Fast? Backpack?

You're in luck! :D

775bdf18fd03568d2273b649fdd69da1.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.