Compact crankset...thumbs up or thumbs down?

readyami

Sep 7, 2003
I am considering replacing my crankset with a Ritchey WCS compact crankset. I have heard about some chain-throwing and gear-slipping with lower-end FSA compact cranksets, but have read good reviews of higher-end compact cranksets. Does anyone have an educated opinion (i.e., you've ridden the compact) on the general efficacy of compact cranksets?
Thanks
Mississippi girl

readyami said:
I am considering replacing my crankset with a Ritchey WCS compact crankset. I have heard about some chain-throwing and gear-slipping with lower-end FSA compact cranksets, but have read good reviews of higher-end compact cranksets. Does anyone have an educated opinion (i.e., you've ridden the compact) on the general efficacy of compact cranksets?
Thanks
Mississippi girl

I recently switched from a Campag 53/39 to an FSA Energy 50/34.
I have had some problems with chain-throwing, but I also had those problems with my Campag when I left it a while without tuning it.
I think if it's set up properly, tuned regularly and you're prepared to be a little more delicate when shifting, then it works fine.
You'll also find you need to trim the FD more than you used to as you move through the rear cogs.
I doubt if the problems will go away if you spend more on a higher end chainset. Any problems you get will be due to your FD and its ability to cope with the larger difference between big and small rings. I've heard of people putting the Campag compact-specific FD on and it reduced some of the chain-jumping issues.

Tonto said:
I recently switched from a Campag 53/39 to an FSA Energy 50/34.
I have had some problems with chain-throwing, but I also had those problems with my Campag when I left it a while without tuning it.
I think if it's set up properly, tuned regularly and you're prepared to be a little more delicate when shifting, then it works fine.
You'll also find you need to trim the FD more than you used to as you move through the rear cogs.
I doubt if the problems will go away if you spend more on a higher end chainset. Any problems you get will be due to your FD and its ability to cope with the larger difference between big and small rings. I've heard of people putting the Campag compact-specific FD on and it reduced some of the chain-jumping issues.
I have no issues with either of my setups and a standard double FD. The trimming business makes no sense,but the bigger difference between the big and small rings might cause issues with chain rub on the big ring when in the small ring and smaller cogs,depending on chainstay length and other variables.

boudreaux said:
I have no issues with either of my setups and a standard double FD. The trimming business makes no sense,but the bigger difference between the big and small rings might cause issues with chain rub on the big ring when in the small ring and smaller cogs,depending on chainstay length and other variables.

I find that as I move away from the middle of the cassette my chain rubs a little on the FD so I trim it just a click. I get chain rub on the big ring when in the small ring and the third smallest sprocket (on a 9-speed), but I can get similar ratios from the big ring anyway, so it's not a problem.
Buy yeah, basically no major issues that I haven't had with more standard set ups.
Here's where I read about people using the Campag CT:
http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/7844.0.html

In fact, there's some good stuff in general in there about Compact setups.

Tonto said:
I find that as I move away from the middle of the cassette my chain rubs a little on the FD so I trim it just a click.
Same drill with a normal double.

boudreaux said:
Same drill with a normal double.

I think I need to do it a little more since chaning to a compact, but I take your point....it's insignificant to the whole 'to compact or not' debate.

Thumbs sideways. Thumbs up if you don't need or the high gear inches of a 53-11/12, but do often find yourself wheezing in the hills. If you need/want both, go with a triple and accept the minor (how minor is up to the user to decide) disadvantage in shifting, q-factor, and weight.

To me the only thing that gets a thumbs down is the argument that a triple makes you whimpy. ;)

readyami said:
Thanks
Mississippi girl
I have a compact and have no issues with chain jumping. I don't see what the big deal is.

I like mine, I don't have any chain throwing issues, just set your limits right, I found that after I went down to a 50-34 with a 12 25 in the back, I never use the 34, there is no climbing here in NJ to speak of, just rolling hills, I usually just stomp up the steep ones since if their steep they aren't very long, but that 3 tooth drop in the front makes it rideable almost anywhere plus I get a decent chainline crossed up to the 25 in the back, it is a little noisy, but it will just wear stuff out a little faster I guess.

readyami said:
Thanks
Mississippi girl

If a compact crank is set up correctly, wrt chain length and front derailleur position, there's no reason why it would slip gears or throw the chain.

I've got an FSA pro compact on one of my bikes, have had for about 8k miles and I really like it. I use that bike when I know I'm going to be doing lots of climbing on steep (8%-22%) grades. I much prefer it to a triple chainring. I use it most of the time with an 11-23 cassette though I have used a 12-27 occasionally without problems.

The principle advantage of a compact is that with 50/34 chainrings and a 11-23 cassette you have a wider range than a 53/39 with a 12-27. With a compact crank and 12-27 you should be able to climb just about anything. The principle disadvantage (very terrain dependent) is that if you ride on rolling terrain you'll either shift between chainrings more or cross-chain more.

Hope this helps,

Greg

the main advanatage, is to use what is apropriate relative to your condition of fitness, your terrain and riding goals/desires.
gearing is to match your output and cadence to the resistance of riding.
if you cannot utilize the big ring, a compact may serve you well.
most serious roadies would not use one. there is an image taboo rather like a triple.
it shouts of throwing in the towel.
but if you can outclimb someone ill suited to their double, it is a go.
i would only use one if i could have a special climbing only bike, maybe rehabing a weakness, or got really old.
no wait, i am getting old!

t
RC2 said:
Thumbs sideways. Thumbs up if you don't need or the high gear inches of a 53-11/12, but do often find yourself wheezing in the hills. If you need/want both, go with a triple and accept the minor (how minor is up to the user to decide) disadvantage in shifting, q-factor, and weight.

To me the only thing that gets a thumbs down is the argument that a triple makes you whimpy. ;)

readyami said:
Thanks
Mississippi girl
:mad: I purchased a Cannondale 6/13 with an FSA Compact Carbon crankset six months ago and I have had a lot of trouble with the compact setup. I am now on the fourth front derailer and the dealer has ordered a fifth. It has thrown the chain to the inside and the outside, and it has had times when it would not shift onto the outside ring. As the comments to your question reflect, other people have used the same crankset without a problem. If I had it to do over again, I would stick with a quality triple. Compact drives do not appear to be ready for prime time yet. It might work or it might not.

Mo-Wil said:
:mad: I purchased a Cannondale 6/13 with an FSA Compact Carbon crankset six months ago and I have had a lot of trouble with the compact setup. I am now on the fourth front derailer and the dealer has ordered a fifth. It has thrown the chain to the inside and the outside, and it has had times when it would not shift onto the outside ring. As the comments to your question reflect, other people have used the same crankset without a problem. If I had it to do over again, I would stick with a quality triple. Compact drives do not appear to be ready for prime time yet. It might work or it might not.
Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean compacts aren't ready for prime time.

I don't know what was going on with your set-up, but clearly that is not typical for most people.

I have the Record 10 equipped six13 with Hollowgram Crankset, my LBS swapped my small ring out to a 39T which, to me, made a difference, we have some looong hills around here, I have good knees, I'm just getting old...

Anyway, I dropped the chain several times off the small ring so after adjusting the limit so close I can't even push it off with my fingers, It changes perfectly every time, I can even cross chain a long way (mostly by accident) with no problems...

Hope you get yours sorted soon!! Have you considered trying a different LBS??

Mo-Wil said: