Cones for a Shimano rear HB-6207 (shimano 600)

greglox

Sep 7, 2010
I recently went through my rear hub and found the cones to be pitted. I believe my race is fine...I cleaned it all up and it did not look pitted. This is an old (late 80's) Shimano 600 (pre Ultrega) freewheel hub. Does anyone know how to get these cones? My LBS gave me a number to Shimano tech support...I've misplaced that, but can get it again if needed. I'm not holding out much hope that the Shimano factory support will be able to help me out on a 20 year old hub.

I've seen Wheelsmfg.com, but they are not conclusive and seem to match just on physical dimensions. Is that enough? Wheelsmfg doesn't give any info on the bearing grind angle or radius of their cones...seems important.

bikeman.com has cones for the 6207 listed when I search for 6207...is the 'hb-' implied?

Has anyone gone through this for the HB-6207??? What is my best course of action?

greglox said:
I recently went through my rear hub and found the cones to be pitted. I believe my race is fine...I cleaned it all up and it did not look pitted. This is an old (late 80's) Shimano 600 (pre Ultrega) freewheel hub. Does anyone know how to get these cones? My LBS gave me a number to Shimano tech support...I've misplaced that, but can get it again if needed. I'm not holding out much hope that the Shimano factory support will be able to help me out on a 20 year old hub.

I've seen Wheelsmfg.com, but they are not conclusive and seem to match just on physical dimensions. Is that enough? Wheelsmfg doesn't give any info on the bearing grind angle or radius of their cones...seems important.

bikeman.com has cones for the 6207 listed when I search for 6207...is the 'hb-' implied?

Has anyone gone through this for the HB-6207??? What is my best course of action?

Measure the cone height and match to a Wheels rear cone. It's a pretty standard 10 by 1 cone in a hub that uses 1/4 inch bearing balls.