Converting MTB to Hybrid or buy new?

Joseph93

Feb 11, 2014
Ive got an old Arrowhead GT which i use to Commute everyday,
currently not too far but as of in a couple of months ill be commuting a bit further
so think its either time to convert or buy new

I've been cycling for about 2 years but just on this old mountain bike given to me and have little experience with road or hybrid bikes
the bike is a bit run down so would need a couple of upgrades anyway but it does have an aluminium frame so is somewhat light

therefore im turning to some more experienced cyclists to ask is it worth trying to upgrade the MTB
New wheels, tyres, smaller pedals, new chain, may need some gear repairs
or would it be easier/better or cheaper to just buy a new or even a used hybrid?

It seems that once you start with a "gateway drug" bike (MTB, hybrid etc) you eventually end up checking the PSI figures on your road bike tires secretly at 5am whilst uploading your ride to Strava and praise that you dont spend money on hookers and blow but on cycling instead.

Hookers and blow have given so much peace of mind to the cycling addicts.
big-smile.png

A MTB for commute is kinda overkill and also a bit too slow. Unless you commute on a mountain trail or have parking problems and you need something -extra- cheap for theft issues, a bike of the road - cyclocross category is probably the way to go. Something like this:

Both with disk brakes for better wet weather braking and with rack fittings for a bit of touring too. (A dedicated touring bike could work too)

In cromoly steel (great for lots of mileage due to the fatigue strength of the material):

Or Aluminium (Cheaper, thicker tube walls for dents resistance, corrosion resistant)

Thanks I appreciate the reply! I was wary of if it would be overkill and also as to how slow it would be compared to a road bike, I do however want to be able to go a little off track however without it cause too much trouble, nothing too special or hard wear but able to easily handle lots of loose gravel etc. I am trying to keep the price as low as I can so how much do you think something like what you suggested would set me back? (I'm from the UK so in £ would be appreciated) And is t worth getting something second hand as I've seen a carrera tdf for about £120

Used bikes sell for about half the price as new ones... (if in good condition etc).

Aluminium "ages" worst then steel. Good (Cromoly) steel is more expensive then Aluminium.

The bikes on the photos are about 700GBP new so they would sell for around 400GBP used...

They are "cyclocross" road bikes (kinda tougher road bikes for trails). These are not too "racy" (non-carbon fibre frames) and they also have fittings for racks etc. They are good for commuting
wink.png
... The aerodynamic position of the drop bars is good to have on a windy day. They are totally Ok for trails.

Since you are in the UK and if near London too you might wanna check SJS cycles... They got some awesome tourers...
wink.png
(Thorn bikes).

0.jpg

Quote: Originally Posted by Joseph93
Ive got an old Arrowhead GT which i use to Commute everyday,
currently not too far but as of in a couple of months ill be commuting a bit further
so think its either time to convert or buy new

I've been cycling for about 2 years but just on this old mountain bike given to me and have little experience with road or hybrid bikes
the bike is a bit run down so would need a couple of upgrades anyway but it does have an aluminium frame so is somewhat light

therefore im turning to some more experienced cyclists to ask is it worth trying to upgrade the MTB
New wheels, tyres, smaller pedals, new chain, may need some gear repairs
or would it be easier/better or cheaper to just buy a new or even a used hybrid?

Well, it is almost always easier to simply buy a "new" bike ...

BUT, while I concur with the idea of buying a Cyclocross bike, new-or-used, as a worthwhile consideration, a limited budget may make THAT impractical.

Regardless, tyres/tubes & the chain are maintenance issues which need to be addressed if you are not living off-the-grid in a Third World country regardless of any other issue ...

Often times, the chain simply needs to be cleaned & re-lubed rather than needing to be replaced .
If it is just more speed that you want to wring out of your bike then some simple maintenance might be very beneficial ...

Additionally, DROP handlebars will generally result in a more efficient riding position ... so, you may want to scratch a Hybrid off your list of possible bike choices UNLESS you have the intent of changing its handlebars & shifters at some future point in time ...

FWIW. YOU can add Drop bars to almost any bike ... this frame (below) is shown with a Road crank + Drop handlebars + Campagnolo shifters ...

Here is another MTB frame which was further modified with a Road fork & Road brake calipers + 700c wheels ...

Quote: Originally Posted by Joseph93 .

And is t worth getting something second hand as I've seen a carrera tdf for about £120
If your budget is below £150, then you are limited ... but, you should theoretically be able to buy a set of Drop handlebars + a set of used [possibly, new-or-NOS!?!] Campagnolo shifters which are in good condition for about £120 if you are a wise shopper.

With THAT in mind, if the Carrera TdF is in fairly good condition, then 'I' think that while it isn't a great bike AND the tyre size is probably limited to 700x28 (vs. 700x32 for a CX bike), that I would not have qualms about riding it AFTER performing any necessary maintenance ... so, if the bike's frame is the right size for YOU, then it could be a good choice ...

BTW. Because a set of 10-speed Campagnolo shifters are a direct swap for a pair of 8-speed Sora shifters AND because they will also work with 9-and-10-speed Shimano components, at some point in time (sooner rather than later!!!) 'I' would swap the Carerra's Shimano SORA (?) shfiters for a pair of Campagnolo shifters.

​

Hard-tail MTB to hybrid conversion isn't much of a stretch. What do we need? Smooth tires and maybe a road cassette will get you started, and you can get in deeper as your taste evolves and your knowledge increases. Make sure your frame will allow you to hang the accessories (fenders, racks, trailer hitches) you might be planning to use.

I recommend avoiding anything radical like road cranks and derailleurs, at least until you're familiar with the holes you can fall into (shifters, bottom brackets, frame clearance, and chain lines). Also, avoid changing wheel sizes until you're sure the brake calipers will work and the right tires are available. Hey, I can see it now, a 650B hybrid conversion, if I can only get the tires.

The conversion isnt a very clumsy process and it eventually saves a lot of money but the durability is what questionable.