Converting to a vegetarian lifestyle

There is nothing wrong with dramatically increasing vegetable portions and reducing meat portions. Most of us eat way to much meat to begin with. That said, I can't see being a vegetarian, or worse yet a vegan. I don't think it would be healthy or worth the hassle.
I agree 100% with you, we certainly eat way to much meat. I think that it has to do with the fact that it's so easy to get hold of. Go to any fast food place and most of the food has meat in it.

Fast food restaurants are terrible, at the same time many other restaurants and other processed foods we buy are not better...

A few of my brothers went full on Vegan and they are doing fine. One needed to lose a little and did and the others were at a healthy weight already and look the same as before. They've been at it for 3 years or so. I respect they're dedication, but its just not for me. The moral argument just doesn't affect me, i'm plenty healthy and I've been a slim 167 pounds at 6'4" for the last decade. No need to fix what isn't broken.

well, i've been a vegan for nearly two years and it's pretty damn easy.
whether your vegan, vegetarian or meat eater you want to make sure you supplement b12, over 60% of people are b12 deficient. (and that depends by what country your going with, in america the cut off level is 150, in japan it's 500, personally I like my levels to be at 1000).

stay focused on the grains (rice, pasta, oats) and especially fruit for breakfast, (15-30 bananas a day) you want to aim for 10g of carbs per kilo of body weight, and at least 2500 to 3000 calories, (you can go over but this is the minimum.

congrats on going veg, and don't worry about anybody saying you'll be nutritionally deficient, it's just ridiculous.

I went vegetarian back in college but it only lasted about a month or so. I just could not do it. Part of it was that my budget was just not there, and the whole convenience factor played into it as well. That said, though, I did learn a lot from that month and I appreciate what I did learn. Black beams are probably my favorite food item now.

I went vegetarian back in college but it only lasted about a month or so. I just could not do it. Part of it was that my budget was just not there, and the whole convenience factor played into it as well. That said, though, I did learn a lot from that month and I appreciate what I did learn. Black beams are probably my favorite food item now.
I personally think people should go through a vegetarian phase. It really does open your eyes and teaches you how to eat properly. I went through a phase like that and remember that I would never get tired and would eat a much more varied diet then what I eat now.

Make sure to really consider it, you will lose a lot of natural nutritional benefits by removing meat in your diet. Make sure that the dietary supplements you will take would be enough to replace what you will miss from not eating meat. Good luck with all the change, stick with it, and I'm sure it will be a rewarding experience in the end.

I have to admit that I've never considered becoming vegetarian as for the simple fact I like eating meat too much. There are millions if people all over the world however that don't eat meat, and with the right supplements they lead a normal healthy life.

A lot will also depend on what your reasons behind the change is, and how serious you are about that reason as to if you'll be successful at sticking to it or not.

I was once a vegetarian for just a week and it was hard. I was constantly hungry and ended up eating too much in the long run. I don't eat too much meat or animal products but I just don't buy the idea of limiting my diet because of some philosophical or moral argument.

Like I said, I think a lot depends on the reason behind you changing to a vegetarian lifestyle more than anything.

I think a lot of people will like the idea behind it, but when it comes to actually doing it then they find its easier said than done.

I lasted about 4 days on a vegetarian diet. I have absolutely no issue with those that decide to eat vegan or vegetarian. The big issue for me was satiety. No matter how much I ate, there just isn't any vegetarian foods that fill you up the way animal protein does.

Reactions: pwarbi
I've actually heard that before off people that have stuck to a vegetarian diet, and even they admit that they can eat all the right things at the right times, but theycan still get hungry every now and again, but it's just something you get used to.

More power to you for being able to give up meat. I just cannot do it, but only because I physically need it. I tried it when I was in a previous relationship and I was actually hospitalized because although I was replacing the protein, iron, and other essentials, I was not retaining it, so I became very weak. I mostly just eat chicken and fish and try to avoid red meat unless my body tells me that I need it.

While I admire people that stick to their principles, if living on a vegetarian diet is going to be detrimental to their health then I'm not sure they're doing the right thing.

People might not agree with eating meat, but meat is an important part of our diets and so they need to make sure that they take the necessary supplements to make sure their bodies aren't losing any important vitamins and minerals.

I'm on the fence, totally neutral.

I hear good things, I hear bad things, but for me personally I'm sticking to meat. I'm not looking for any veggy/vegan rage thrown towards me but I don't know man, I just feel that meat is normal for me.

Reactions: pwarbi

I hear good things, I hear bad things, but for me personally I'm sticking to meat. I'm not looking for any veggy/vegan rage thrown towards me but I don't know man, I just feel that meat is normal for me.

I'm a meat eater myself but I wouldn't dream of trying to convert a vegetarian into being a meat eater, so my issue is why do they try and insist that everyone should stop eating meat?

It seems that these days people can't have different opinions on issues, without one trying to force their opinion on others. I eat meat, another person doesn't. Each to their own.

There is nothing wrong with that, and anybody that would rage at you for it is only harming their cause. They aren't worth the time and effort it takes to respond to. :)

Dropping meat from your diet won't make you healthier, I don't see the point in your justification for doing so. Just don't eat lots of processed junk meat and stick to fresh, lean stuff only.

Dropping meat from your diet won't make you healthier, I don't see the point in your justification for doing so. Just don't eat lots of processed junk meat and stick to fresh, lean stuff only.
Who are you responding to? A quote or a tag would be useful here. At any rate, dropping it completely may or may not help depending on the person or dietary needs. In most cases a reduction and change of both preperation and type of meet can make big differences in a persons health. Blanket statements like the one you made are not backed by science or very helpful. While I wouldn't recommend completely removing meat from a diet in general, I wouldn't assume that I know everything and that it applied to everyone.