Creaking Sounds on Litespeed Bikes

litespeedguy

Sep 13, 2003
just wondering how many out there with Litespeed bikes have experienced creaking sounds when riding up hill out of the saddle and found it to be isolated in the headset/headtube area ?

Never had a creaking noise in the headset (yet) on my Merlin. Is the stem tight (both ends) and headset adjusted properly?

And just in case you are still looking for the noise…. I had a creaking noise that would happen only under high power conditions. And I could not find the source of the noise. Took the bike to the LBS and 2 mechanics and I spent about ½ hour to find the noise. My front derailleur clamp was the source. Took the clam off, cleaned the clamp and tube, put it back on, no more creaking.

Actually after many hours and a visit to the Litespeed website I learned that the bearing cups in the headtube were the culprit - have since obtained new bearing cups from Litespeed and the creaking problem is solved .

I was just wondering if any other Litespeed owners have had the same experience.

litespeedguy said:
Actually after many hours and a visit to the Litespeed website I learned that the bearing cups in the headtube were the culprit - have since obtained new bearing cups from Litespeed and the creaking problem is solved .

I was just wondering if any other Litespeed owners have had the same experience.
Were the old bearing cups undersized, ie, a manufacturing defect, or did they wearout somehow? Could you see evidence of wear on the outside of the cups?

Just curious if Litespeed offered any explanation.

wear was on the inside of the cups ; Litespeed provided new cups at no cost ----as you probably know, the bearing cups are pressed into the headtube at the factory and become part of the Cane Creek ( or other) internal headset.

I like this design ---- each bearing sits inside a cup ; the cup wears and not the frame.

Litespeed offered no explanation but I'm satisfied with their fix and continue to like their product.

I have a litespeed with the exact same problem. Bought it last spring and recently stared hearing the craking noise from my headset every time I get out of the saddle. I'll be taking my bike back to the shop to tell them about this. Thans for the info!

litespeedguy said:
wear was on the inside of the cups ; Litespeed provided new cups at no cost ----as you probably know, the bearing cups are pressed into the headtube at the factory and become part of the Cane Creek ( or other) internal headset.

I like this design ---- each bearing sits inside a cup ; the cup wears and not the frame.

Litespeed offered no explanation but I'm satisfied with their fix and continue to like their product.
Thanks for reply. I thought perhaps the cups were loose and moving in the headtube, so that there would be galling marks or shiny wear bars on the outsides.

Certainly didn't mean to imply that litespeed isn't a fine builder. After all, any manufacturer can have a quality problem. The good ones find and fix the problems quickly with a minimum of inconvience to their customers, which sounds exactly like what litespeed has done for you.