crossposting ...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Feb 16, 2003.

  1. ... to uk.tosspot

    Sigh. I know it's Usenet, unmoderated, etc., and yes, I can killfile the offending arseholes from
    uk.tosspot whose posts appear here and I will do. But, any chance that crossposting could be at
    least diminished - check to what groups replies are being sent to? Ever in hope ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 16 Feb 2003 18:19:04 GMT, wafflycathcs@aol.comtapeworm (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >Sigh. I know it's Usenet, unmoderated, etc., and yes, I can killfile the offending arseholes from
    >uk.tosspot whose posts appear here and I will do. But, any chance that crossposting could be at
    >least diminished - check to what groups replies are being sent to? Ever in hope ;-)

    Best joke I've heard for ages, Helen.

    I have this little button, It's really rather small. But it does stop that X-posting, To bikes,
    tosspots, and all.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  3. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    >Sigh. I know it's Usenet, unmoderated, etc., and yes, I can killfile the offending arseholes from
    >uk.tosspot whose posts appear here and I will do. But, any chance that crossposting could be at
    >least diminished - check to what groups replies are being sent to? Ever in hope ;-)

    Hi Helen,

    I live in mortal fear of a paving slab coming my way. Not only do I wear bib shorts with pride, but
    I started a crossposted thread to uk.tosspot, "Congestion Charge".

    My aim was to wind up the cagers, troll them if you like.

    Not only are they to be subjected to a £5 fine for daring to drive into Central London, but I had
    the audacity to suggest that this money be spent on the main object of their hatred - the cyclist.

    I consider the wind up successful in so far as the cagers seem particularly annoyed with me. It was
    never my intent to annoy you, but like wearing bib shorts, I make no appology.

    I shall now go and hide in a paving slab proof bunker until next I dream up a way to annoy
    the cagers.
    --
    remove remove to reply

  4. >My aim was to wind up the cagers, troll them if you like.

    No - wind them up as much as you want - it would be nice, pretty please, though if they were wound
    up on their newsgroup and not on this one. Just my £0.02

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 16 Feb 2003 21:56:27 GMT, wafflycathcs@aol.comtapeworm (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >No - wind them up as much as you want - it would be nice, pretty please, though if they were wound
    >up on their newsgroup and not on this one

    I'm still technically keeping to my new year's resolution (except I didn't notice that Congestion
    Charge was crossposted). The threads in uk.tosspot I'm playing with now are x-posted to
    uk.cagers.whinhge.whinhge.whinhge or some such, but that doesn't count ;-)

    Biggest problem with uk.tosspot is that the language is foul. I have been known to eff and blind a
    bit, but really the name calling over there is repellant.

    But it is good yanking Mr Safety's chain :) I've come up with some stats recently:

    * 85% of drivers think they have above average skill
    * drivers rate their own skills as 3.9 on a 1-5 scale, and other drivers as 2.7
    * 40% rate the overall standard of driving as bad but only 2% rate themselves as bad
    * 24% rate the overall standard as good, 75% rate themselves as good

    in a thread hilariously titled "Radio opportunity for camera victim" (victim? Of enforcement?)

    Mr Safety remains convinced that this is "pop psychology" and that "only 5% or so of drivers
    seriously overestimate their skils" - based in part on the old canard about having more than the
    average number of legs (hint for the slow: number of legs is not normally distributed).

    He also thinks it safe to drive at 100mph on an unlit road at night. The best data I can find gives
    vision distances for an unlit / non-reflective object of the order of 100m for full-beam headlights;
    at 100mph you'll cover that in about 2.3s, and the stopping distance at night at 70mph is a shade
    over 100m (longer thinking distances at night).

    I believe he may be trying to prove the validity of point A via assertion B :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  6. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    wafflycathcs@aol.comtapeworm (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    > ... to uk.tosspot
    >
    > Sigh. I know it's Usenet, unmoderated, etc., and yes, I can killfile the offending arseholes from
    > uk.tosspot whose posts appear here and I will do. But, any chance that crossposting could be at
    > least diminished - check to what groups replies are being sent to? Ever in hope ;-)

    I think the trick is to post something reasonably confrontational, but quietly drop u.r.c off the
    list. That way, they don't notice and all end up arguing amongst themselves...

    James

  7. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    >I think the trick is to post something reasonably confrontational, but quietly drop u.r.c off the
    >list. That way, they don't notice and all end up arguing amongst themselves...

    Can we come to a consensus then: if winding up uk.tosspot, initially drop a crosspost here, so
    others can have a good chuckle, but set follow-ups to uk.tosspot groups only, and always remove urc
    from any further replies?
    --
    remove remove to reply

  8. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Gonzalez" <gonzalez.remove@freeuk.com> wrote in message

    > Can we come to a consensus then: if winding up uk.tosspot, initially drop a crosspost here, so
    > others can have a good chuckle, but set follow-ups to uk.tosspot groups only, and always remove
    > urc from any further replies?

    Too complex. Much easier if each individual learns to use and takes full advantage of their killfile
    -- or just skips over certain threads (i.e. those currently referring to the second tax on stupidity
    (after the lottery)).

  9. Simon Ward

    Simon Ward Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <wafflycathcs@aol.comtapeworm> wrote:

    > How about - even better - post on uk.tosspot *only* with a note here to the effect so those who
    > want to join in can do so without having the m*r*ns of uk.tosspot post over here even once :)
    That, and learn how to use a killfile. If your newsreading software doesn't support such things,
    then it's probably time consider changing to one that does.

    Simon
    --
    Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "You'd never guess the things
    that I do, I've had the Devil round for tea ..."

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Gonzalez wrote:

    > Can we come to a consensus then: if winding up uk.tosspot, initially drop a crosspost here, so
    > others can have a good chuckle, but set follow-ups to uk.tosspot groups only, and always remove
    > urc from any further replies?

    That won't work - Mr Safety will add u.r.c back in with a sarky comment about restoring
    "dishonestly" removed groups.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  11. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    >That won't work - Mr Safety will add u.r.c back in with a sarky comment about restoring
    >"dishonestly" removed groups.

    OK. Helen's idea it is, then. Crosspost to uk.tosspot and hell, but not urc. Post a pointer here to
    the ensuing mayhem.

    I'll abide by that.
    --
    remove remove to reply

  12. wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <wafflycathcs@aol.comtapeworm> wrote:
    >Sigh. I know it's Usenet, unmoderated, etc., and yes, I can killfile the offending arseholes from
    >uk.tosspot whose posts appear here and I will do.

    Why not just killfile any articles so crossposted?
    --
    David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?

Share This Page