Cycling and height?

Personablue

Mar 6, 2016
Is there any relation of cycling and vertical height of a person. I heard a lot that cycling, swimming, sprinting helps a growing child to grow quicker. Anybody can enlighten the statement. I would like to hear what the community here thinks.

I think exercise can help promote physical growth, a good example is basketball because it stretches your limbs and playing it will give you a balance workout.

Human growth hormone secretion is increased with vigorous exercise, however, it mostly affects bone and muscle development with height only to a certain extent. It does help, but other factors still have a bigger influence on how tall a child will be, mainly genetics. Still, it's a good idea for children to exercise.

It has a bit of an effect on our height. I've had friends who actively engage in sports regularly. They've grown significantly and so I'm sure their active lifestyle has contributed to their increased growth.

I don't think that cycling in particular contributes to height for any unique reason. Height is determined mainly by two factors: genetics and nutrition.

It is common knowledge that children who eat foods lacking in nutritional value often grow up to be shorter than their peers who eat healthy, well-balanced diets. Without the proper nutrients, our bodies simply cannot grow at a proper rate. Obviously, exercise of any kind helps because it allows your body to optimally utilize the food you're consuming.

However, all the exercise and super food in the world won't help you grow taller than the maximum capacity which your genetics have already decided.

I also think cycling does not improve the height of the one doing it regularly. It does help with the weight and maybe the cyclist would look taller since he/she will look slender. Maybe that's the reason people correlate it to height gains?

I think, physical activities and sports at young age will definitely help the kids to become mature, because it will develops the muscles, the minds and the creativity of the kids, and I think it's more on maturity, not growing quicker.