cycling causing digestive problems?

I personally have never experienced this, but I will definitely keep an eye on it. I have only experienced mild heartburn, but I also have ulcers from stress, so I usually just blame them for any issues that I may have. I'm sorry to hear that you're having this problem. It's a tough thing to live with.

I have noticed that when I ride, I tend to have better digestion and usually have to go right after my ride. I usually just have an energy booster smoothie first in the morning and a vegetable juice when I get back from the ride and then I eat light for the rest of the day.

I hope you feel better!

Also sometimes over exerting yourself could cause effects that feel like heartburn or indigestion, so while I'm not aware of cycling being a cause of that, if you are over doing it then it might be something to look at.

Well, maybe not exactly cycling, but eventually too much effort, too much heat and not proper nutrition while doing it. All of that can cause stomach issues.

I highly doubt cycling itself has anything to do with digestion. I agree with others in that it is more likely activity level in general combined with other factors.

We all need to balance our efforts or else our body will resent from that. It applies to cycling as to any other activity.

Aw, that's too bad. Have you tried getting a second opinion though? Maybe another doctor can provide an alternative treatment instead of lifetime medicines. But here's a few tips that I can give you:
  • Eat at least three hours before cycling. You need to let the food digest first before cycling to avoid the possibility of reflux. Certain foods might aggravate your condition as well, so look out for that.
  • Hydrate more. This can help with the acid reflux you're experiencing. Especially when you're cycling, drink more water than usual.
  • Eat five small meals instead of the usual three meals a day. In between meals, have crackers as well to help with the acidity.
I hope this helps!

Aw, that's too bad. Have you tried getting a second opinion though? Maybe another doctor can provide an alternative treatment instead of lifetime medicines. But here's a few tips that I can give you:
  • Eat at least three hours before cycling. You need to let the food digest first before cycling to avoid the possibility of reflux. Certain foods might aggravate your condition as well, so look out for that.
  • Hydrate more. This can help with the acid reflux you're experiencing. Especially when you're cycling, drink more water than usual.
  • Eat five small meals instead of the usual three meals a day. In between meals, have crackers as well to help with the acidity.
I hope this helps!

Good advice, just don't go down the anti-western medicine natural alternative crazy train please.

True. Pushing to hard doesn't have good results in most cases.

I used to ride over 100 miles with a lot of heat and I lost a lot of weight in those rides. I endured it barely without preparation because I was a teenager, these days I could not do it so easily.

This is really a surprise to me, I was under the impression that cycling would help with food digesting provided you didn't have a very big meal. Fortunately as yet I have never suffered any digestive problems from cycling.

I look at this way, I usually eat extremely light before I play any sport so treat cycling the same. Definitely don't eat big meals and like one of the you stated above, cereal and milk. You want to eat protein of course. I usually eat like two protein bars and drink propel to hold me over. I also take a few with me to eat in between my exercise

This is really a surprise to me, I was under the impression that cycling would help with food digesting provided you didn't have a very big meal. Fortunately as yet I have never suffered any digestive problems from cycling.
That is because cycling isn't the problem. It is over doing it with physical exertion in general.

Okay this is quite interesting, regarding acid reflux, I have been having acid reflux for several years now and also consulted some doctors. Right now it's acting regularly that's why I'm sleeping in an inclined position. What I'm curious about is why can't doctors do something to cure it. Medication only reduces it a bit but if you stop taking it then you'll be having attacks nightly if your sleeping in a normal position. What's interesting is i thought at first is that I'm getting severe attacks after strenuous activities like cycling and gym workouts, but what I think really causes acid reflux at night is when you eat a lot after a physical activity. I tried not eating after cycling and the acid reflux was quite slight than after eating a full evening dinner.

I don't have any digestive problems, but I think it's rather anecdotal and without any real scientific backup compared to the actual risk factors doctors look for when diagnosing acid reflux disease.

Huh, this is certainly an odd set of circumstances. I'm really sorry that you have to deal with such daily discomfort. My only question would be how soon you go out and ride after you've had your last meal.

Personally, I don't do any sort of physical exercise for at least an hour to two hours after my last meal, depending on what I ate and how big the meal was. I noticed that if I do, I often experience acid reflux as well, and while it isn't so bad that I vomit, it can cause immense discomfort and even minor regurgitation.

Maybe try some special diets intended to help sufferers of acid reflux, as opposed to just taking medicine. I've heard rumors that some medicines actually perpetuate the cycle.

Never encounter that problem before, maybe because I'm not pushing my self while riding my bike. But by playing basketball, I experienced this kind of vomiting, and actually my eyes was affected, I can't see clearly and everything was blurred.

I haven't had digestive problems that often. It's probably because I don't do long rides frequently. I usually just take my time to cycle on leisurely afternoon and night rides.

I'm an acid reflux victim too. My gastro doctor gave me some recommendations before cycling, to avoid having issues about it. First, it's important to keep your medication if you have any indicated. Second,avoid eating right before start to ride on your bike, wait at least 45 minutes to an hour before cycling. Another tip is to avoid heavy or loaded meals prior to exercise, and don't ride for periods over 90 minutes a time. So far, I've been doing good as long as I keep these tips, so I hope you can use them too.

I have been riding for quite a long time now and I have to say that I've not had any issue with my digestive system as I always try as much as I can to do some other exercises such as stretching and warming up which is a way that ensure that my body system is fine.

I also have some reflux issues, but if I stay away from chocolate, red meat to some degree, tomatoes, alcohol, citrus though for some reason Grapefruit doesn't trigger it, and spicy food I'm ok. Coffee use to bother me but since I started making my cold brew coffee that now doesn't bother me because cold brewed coffee had about 65% less acid then cooked coffee, but I can about 2 to 3 times a week (skipping every other day) make espresso with no side effects.