cycling shoes and running shoes

Tubbs

Jul 11, 2005
Hi folks!

First and foremost... Happy New Year to everyone!!! May your best experience of 2005 be your worst for 2006!

Santa Claus was really good to me this year. He brought me that new pair of New Balance running shoes I've been asking for so I can do some cross training on the treadmill over the winter. I specifically got this pair on the advice of a shoe expert based on my severe case of over pronation. (Flat Feet) So... this particular pair is designed for "motion control" of the feet.

Given that pronation of the foot is a factor in running, does it also factor into the bio-mechanics of pedaling??? In other words... should I be looking into getting special orthotics for my Sidi cycling shoes???

Any feedback on this will be greatly appreciated.

pronation SHOULD be more of a concern for cyclists, but it isn't

I use LeMond Wedges, which are lopsided shims that can be put under the cleats to either pronate or supinate the feet.

I think it's safe to say that cyclists don't have to same injury problems as runners, but overpronation, especially when off the saddle, is something that is potentially probelmatic, but many riders ignore.

531Aussie said:
I think it's safe to say that cyclists don't have to same injury problems as runners, but overpronation, especially when off the saddle, is something that is potentially probelmatic, but many riders ignore.
Thanks for the feedback!

Do you happen to know of any cases where someone has developed cycling injuries from pronation of the foot?

yeah, me. :) I had some minior medial knee pain that was quickly rectified with ~3mm (3 LeMond wedges) of elevation of the inside of my cleats, therefore, obviously supinating my feet.

there's some good stuff on this site:
http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

my 'understanding' (i'm no physio) is that many medial (inner) knee problems are caused by excessive foot pronation.

Tubbs said:
Hi folks!

First and foremost... Happy New Year to everyone!!! May your best experience of 2005 be your worst for 2006!

Santa Claus was really good to me this year. He brought me that new pair of New Balance running shoes I've been asking for so I can do some cross training on the treadmill over the winter. I specifically got this pair on the advice of a shoe expert based on my severe case of over pronation. (Flat Feet) So... this particular pair is designed for "motion control" of the feet.

Given that pronation of the foot is a factor in running, does it also factor into the bio-mechanics of pedaling??? In other words... should I be looking into getting special orthotics for my Sidi cycling shoes???

Any feedback on this will be greatly appreciated.

I have the exact same problem. I have run two marathons despite my collapsing arches and pronating. I purchased New Balance 1221 for the pronation and used the SuperFeet insert (green) to help with the flat feet. My pain, which was sever by the way, magaically went away very soon after using them. My transition to cycling was fairly easy using the specialized with body geometry shoe in combination with shimano PD6610 pedal. I must admit though pronation is really not a concern with cycling and any stiff shoe probably would have worked just fine. I did have knee pain when I rode more than 10miles but it was remedied almost immediately by raising my seat post to the appropiate height for my leg length.

John

My pronate problem has eased since I've started using Looks pedals and cleats. My family practice physican, and occasional riding partner, can't understand why.

I have worn orthotics for the last 9 years but I am only new to cycling, about 10 months. As an AFL ( Australian football league ) umpire ( probably only mean somethin if your from Australia ) I used to run anything from 10-15km a game, and orthotics helped me from serious inguries, now that i'm cycling, i wear my orthotics in my shimano shoes, and got them fitted to suit. Although the impact of cycling is somewhat less then running there is still an impact, and over time problems will still occur. I'd recommend gettng checked out to see if you need orthotics, it saved me getting stress fractures.

Scotttri said:
I have worn orthotics for the last 9 years but I am only new to cycling, about 10 months. As an AFL ( Australian football league ) umpire ( probably only mean somethin if your from Australia ) I used to run anything from 10-15km a game, and orthotics helped me from serious inguries, now that i'm cycling, i wear my orthotics in my shimano shoes, and got them fitted to suit. Although the impact of cycling is somewhat less then running there is still an impact, and over time problems will still occur. I'd recommend gettng checked out to see if you need orthotics, it saved me getting stress fractures.
Now how do you know it saved you from that? Did you ride without the orthotics and it gave you stress fractures and then used the orthotics and then they stopped popping up? Did you ride without them and it caused pain?

John

I rode without them a few times and I started to get pains in my shins again. It's the same if I run without them, the pains start to come back, and eventually get shin splits which in time, can lead to stress fractures.