Cycling to school

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. I read in the Metro this morning that Charles Clarke (Education Secretary) has suggested a series of
    measures to reduce congestion around schools. The main point, as far as the Metro is concerned, was
    the idea of staggering the start and finish times of schools in an area to reduce the school-run
    congestion---ie not to actually take cars off the road but to just spread them about a bit more
    thinly. A single phrase comment at the end of the article suggested that he also wanted to make
    cycling to school safer.

    I have been unable to find anything more about this story due to my inability to connect to various
    news sites and the government's inability to put this sort of stuff on their websites. Anyone know
    anything more about specific cycling proposals?

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Colin Blackburn" <colin.blackburn@durham.ac.uk> wrote in message

    > staggering the start and finish times of schools in an area to reduce the school-run congestion

    Portrayed in one paper as "WAR ON THE SCOOL RUN! MISERY FOR PARENTS!" - I'd quite like to see the
    tabloids' idea of how to remove school run congestion without reducing the school run.

    FWIW today is the first day back for local schools and the tailbacks and congestion which had
    entirely vanished over the last couple of months are back with a vengeance.

    > A single phrase comment at the end of the article suggested that he also wanted to make cycling to
    > school safer.

    Congestion is your friend - a stationary death greenhouse is a safe death greenhouse :)

    > I have been unable to find anything more about this story due to my inability to connect to
    > various news sites and the government's inability to put this sort of stuff on their websites.
    > Anyone know anything more about specific cycling proposals?

    A pound says there are none. The national cycling "strategy" is just a wish-list and contains
    nothing of substance, so that would be ocnsistent.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  3. In article <bj74t4$kas$1$830fa7b3@news.demon.co.uk>, spamdump@chapmancentral.com says...
    > "Colin Blackburn" <colin.blackburn@durham.ac.uk> wrote in message
    >
    > > staggering the start and finish times of schools in an area to reduce the school-run congestion
    >
    > Portrayed in one paper as "WAR ON THE SCOOL RUN! MISERY FOR PARENTS!" - I'd quite like to see the
    > tabloids' idea of how to remove school run congestion without reducing the school run.

    There's that word 'misery' again. I think the words 'inconvenience' and 'misery' are synonymous in
    the tabloids.

    > > I have been unable to find anything more about this story due to my inability to connect to
    > > various news sites and the government's inability to put this sort of stuff on their websites.
    > > Anyone know anything more about specific cycling proposals?
    >
    > A pound says there are none.

    I won't be taking your bet.

    I did read, however, that the new £150,000 amphibious car could solve London's commuter headache---I
    think the Indy might taking the Thames water there though.

    Colin

  4. Colin Blackburn <colin.blackburn@durham.ac.uk>typed

    > I read in the Metro this morning that Charles Clarke (Education Secretary) has suggested a series
    > of measures to reduce congestion around schools. The main point, as far as the Metro is concerned,
    > was the idea of staggering the start and finish times of schools in an area to reduce the
    > school-run congestion---ie not to actually take cars off the road but to just spread them about a
    > bit more thinly.

    They haven't thought of how parents' behaviour would be should they have more than one child at
    school with differing start/finish times in one area. They will drive in, dump/deliver first child
    and then loiter in the area for 2nd child. Congestion in region will *not* therefore be reduced.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: helenvecht@zetnet.co.uk Edgware.

  5. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:41:40 +0100 someone who may be "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <spamdump@chapmancentral.com> wrote this:-

    >Portrayed in one paper as "WAR ON THE SCOOL RUN! MISERY FOR PARENTS!" - I'd quite like to see the
    >tabloids' idea of how to remove school run congestion without reducing the school run.

    Easy. Build wider roads. Straighten the others out. Get rid of dangerous cyclists and pedestrians
    along with the dangerous trees, bus stops and lamp posts.

  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <spamdump@chapmancentral.com> wrote in message

    > > staggering the start and finish times of schools in an area to reduce the school-run congestion
    >
    > Portrayed in one paper as "WAR ON THE SCOOL RUN! MISERY FOR PARENTS!" -
    I'd
    > quite like to see the tabloids' idea of how to remove school run
    congestion
    > without reducing the school run.

    Why not just close the schools and give GCSE's away with a Happy Meal? That would also solve the
    teacher shortage and reduce the problems caused by student loans & top up fees.

    : )

  7. > They haven't thought of how parents' behaviour would be should they have more than one child at
    > school with differing start/finish times in one area. They will drive in, dump/deliver first child
    > and then loiter in the area for 2nd child. Congestion in region will *not* therefore be reduced.

    But the government can combat this with a 'One Family, One Child' policy....worked in China (didn't
    it.....?) :p

    Regards,

    Pete.

  8. In article <bj7qeh$sq0$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>, noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com says...
    > > They haven't thought of how parents' behaviour would be should they have more than one child at
    > > school with differing start/finish times in one area. They will drive in, dump/deliver first
    > > child and then loiter in the area for 2nd child. Congestion in region will *not* therefore be
    > > reduced.
    > >

    > But the government can combat this with a 'One Family, One Child' policy....worked in China
    > (didn't it.....?) :p

    Or insist that families have twins and triplets to keep the population up and the school runs down.

    Colin

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

  10. I was surprosed to see the news story on the London Cycling Campaign that Ken is looking to do up
    school cycle parks :

    <<< quote

    On 19th June 2003, the Mayor launched a new partnership initiative to provide and install modern
    cycle parking at schools and colleges throughout the Greater London area. This Programme is being
    organised through Transport for London’s (TfL) Cycling Centre of Excellence (CCE). TfL will
    fully fund and install appropriate cycle parking facilities at schools and colleges in
    collaboration with the London Boroughs and other relevant education organisations. £300,000 has
    been allocated for the last quarter of this financial year, and the programme will continue at
    least throughout 2004/5. ........

    endquote >>>>

    Bids for the first round have to be in by Sept 30th (and to the borough coordinators a fortnight
    before that !)

    Regards, Tim

  11. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    This is what you need, then: <URL: http://www.shuttlebikeusa.com/ > - the ultimate commuter bike!

    (Italian manufacturer's site at <URL: http://www.shuttlebike.com/ > )

    --

  12. In article <bj7rva$12j$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>, spamdump@chapmancentral.com says...
    > "Colin Blackburn" <colin.blackburn@durham.ac.uk> wrote in message
    >
    > > Or insist that families have twins and triplets to keep the population up and the school
    > > runs down.
    >
    > Tandems. They're called tandems.

    Now, c'mon Guy, we all know that as cycling is dangerous then cycling a tandem *must* be twice as
    dangerous, stands to reason, don't it.

    > We've got a triplet...

    Well, now you're just upping the numbers aren't you, three times as dangerous, hardly worth going
    out the the front gate.

    Colin

  13. Colin Blackburn <colin.blackburn@durham.ac.uk>typed

    > In article <bj7qeh$sq0$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>, noemailrequired@nospamrequired.com says...
    > > > They haven't thought of how parents' behaviour would be should they have more than one child
    > > > at school with differing start/finish times in one area. They will drive in, dump/deliver
    > > > first child and then loiter in the area for 2nd child. Congestion in region will *not*
    > > > therefore be reduced.
    > > >

    > > But the government can combat this with a 'One Family, One Child' policy....worked in China
    > > (didn't it.....?) :p

    > Or insist that families have twins and triplets to keep the population up and the school
    > runs down.

    IVF clinics are no longer allowed to place 3 fertilised eggs in the womb...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: helenvecht@zetnet.co.uk Edgware.

  14. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:43:38 +0100 someone who may be "Tony W" <tonyREMOVE@chapmore.co.uk>
    wrote this:-

    >Why not just close the schools and give GCSE's away with a Happy Meal? That would also solve the
    >teacher shortage and reduce the problems caused by student loans & top up fees.

    Oh dear. I suspect that you have given them an idea:)

  15. dailuggs

    dailuggs New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    >But the government can combat this with a 'One Family, One Child' policy....worked in China (didn't
    it.....?) :p

    the asim of the 1 child policy was not to reduce congestion- it was to reduce the population which it did effectively (were the policy not introduced 1 in 3 of us on the planet would now be chinese!)

    if anythiung the gov't needs to bring out a 2 child minimum policy coz the population is starting to decrease!

    so despite what the BNP say we need the immigrants (legal with papers so they pay tax) otherwise this country is gonna be well and truly fuked! - especially with all the people soon to retire after the baby boom of the sixties!

    sorry this wasnt cycling related but heyt- check out my thread ive jus started on the spraying of spokes???

  16. Tim Henderson wrote:
    > On 19th June 2003, the Mayor launched a new partnership initiative to provide and install modern
    > cycle parking at schools and colleges throughout the Greater London area. This Programme is being
    > organised through Transport for London’s (TfL) Cycling Centre of Excellence (CCE). TfL will
    > fully fund and install appropriate cycle parking facilities at schools and colleges in
    > collaboration with the London Boroughs and other relevant education organisations. £300,000 has
    > been allocated for the last quarter of this financial year, and the programme will continue at
    > least throughout 2004/5. ........ endquote >>>>
    >
    > Bids for the first round have to be in by Sept 30th (and to the borough coordinators a fortnight
    > before that !)

    Yurss... at the moment it's not proving a total doddle to get them to return the forms - not least
    because they've had the whole summer holiday to lose them.

    Colin McKenzie

  17. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    Colin McKenzie wrote:

    >Tim Henderson wrote:
    >> On 19th June 2003, the Mayor launched a new partnership initiative to provide and install modern
    >> cycle parking at schools and colleges throughout the Greater London area. This Programme is being
    >> organised through Transport for London’s (TfL) Cycling Centre of Excellence (CCE). TfL will
    >> fully fund and install appropriate cycle parking facilities at schools and colleges in
    >> collaboration with the London Boroughs and other relevant education organisations. £300,000 has
    >> been allocated for the last quarter of this financial year, and the programme will continue at
    >> least throughout 2004/5. ........ endquote >>>>
    >>
    >> Bids for the first round have to be in by Sept 30th (and to the borough coordinators a fortnight
    >> before that !)
    >>
    >Yurss... at the moment it's not proving a total doddle to get them to return the forms - not least
    >because they've had the whole summer holiday to lose them.

    The bike sheds in the Inner London school where I teach have just been opened.

    For the past three years I've tried to get children cycling in a more active way. Once a term I lead
    a "Family Cycle Ride" around our area of London (Blackheath, Greenwich and Woolwich).
    --
    remove remove to reply

  18. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:57:11 +0100 someone who may be Gonzalez <gonzalez.remove@freeuk.com>
    wrote this:-

    >The bike sheds in the Inner London school where I teach have just been opened.

    I hope that, if it is for younger pupils, they have Edinburgh Racks fitted
    http://www.spokes.org.uk/sr2snet/index.htm - third photo near the bottom. The extra bar is important
    to provide something to lock smaller bikes to.

  19. David Hansen wrote:
    > I hope that, if it is for younger pupils, they have Edinburgh Racks fitted
    > http://www.spokes.org.uk/sr2snet/index.htm - third photo near the bottom. The extra bar is
    > important to provide something to lock smaller bikes to.

    Care to expand on this? All bikes have a near vertical bit of frame between bottom bracket and
    seatpost. This is the best part of a bike to lock, especially if the lock will go through the
    rear wheel too. It must always be possible to lock this to the upright of a Sheffield stand.
    Then you just have to make sure that the stand is short enough (end to end) to support the front
    wheel as well.

    Colin McKenzie

  20. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:37:14 +0100 someone who may be Colin McKenzie <colin@proof-read.co.uk>
    wrote this:-

    >> I hope that, if it is for younger pupils, they have Edinburgh Racks fitted
    >> http://www.spokes.org.uk/sr2snet/index.htm - third photo near the bottom. The extra bar is
    >> important to provide something to lock smaller bikes to.
    >
    >All bikes have a near vertical bit of frame between bottom bracket and seatpost. This is the best
    >part of a bike to lock, especially if the lock will go through the rear wheel too.

    Depends on the type of bike and lock. An Edinburgh Rack will allow both "adult" and "child" bikes to
    be leant against it and secured well.

Share This Page