Day 2 Tweed To Ballina

dannii

Apr 15, 2003
Well, another day down and only NINE more to go!

Today started out perfect. Low winds, warm sunshine and views to die for.

I headed out through the coastal towns, not only because it is flatter, but because I am not able to cycle on the M1.

I pedalled out through Kingscliff, Cudgen and then I stumbled upon Cabarita Beach. The views from Cabarita Hill were breathtaking, so much so, that I stopped for almost 1/2 an hour to take in the views and take some happy snaps.

I continued on through to Pottsville, where I took another brief stop to talk to ABC Northcoast. I took the opportunity to pull into a nice secluded and quiet park so that there was not too much road noise for the radio interview. And low and behold the very moment that I started the interview, a council worker on a slasher chose that very moment to start mowing the grass in the park. Aaaaargh!!!

Well, the interview went well, and I had people honking their horns and pulling me over all day, giving me donations, congratulations and well wishes. It added an extra hour or so onto my trip, but it was well worth it. It was really nice talking to all of these people, that I otherwise would never have met.

I made a stop under an overpass for lunch before taking the St Helena Hill - aka "The Hill from Hell".

This hill had trucks using low gear and crawling at snails pace. Although the entire hill is just under 5kms long, it felt like it went for eternity. I threw my bike into granny gear and pedalled up at 8kms per hour. It took what seemed like forever, but when I got to the top and looked out behind me, it was worth it. The views of the hinterland meeting the ocean was something else. I stopped to rest the poor old legs and take yet another photo opportunity, well four photos actually, just to try and get the whole perspective of the view. No photo could ever do it justice.

I continued on toward Ballina, now running very low on water (there is never a servo around when you need one). I came across the Macadamia Castle, it has a huge knight standing out the front with planets and stars painted all over him, oddly enough. Not really what you'd associate with a medieval style castle. Oh well! I stopped in, grabbed some water, OJ and two pythons (the large lolly snakes... I know you are jealous Drew.....hehe.)

After a brief stop, I moved forward for the last leg of my journey .....with only 9kms to Ballina, the terrain finally started to flatten out. I went past our BMD Major Projects job site, cast a quick approving eye over the boys' work and kept pedalling. Finally I made it to Ballina.

I got to the primary school, had a chat with the kids, and headed towards my hotel and a hot shower.

To bed early again, to start day three in the morning.

Stats: Total km = 99km
Avg Speed = 18.8km (remember it was hilly)
Total time = 5 hrs 29mins (remember I did stop lots today)

Danni
l sit here in the airconditioned office and am very envious of you riding down/up the highway.Wish l was there with you.

Dion

Reading your on-the-road story brings back recent memories. A few months back I rode to Melbourne, and like you I thoroughly enjoyed this part of the country. Indeed, I think my route (for this day) was exactly the same as yours!

Fantastic that you can put in some big days in the saddle, especially so soon after illness.

Keep up the good work... and enjoy! :cool:

debbie and I think you are going really well on your little bicyleing...trip....please keep up the good work...and remember wherever you go there you will be.....hehe...

Hey Danster,

Good to see that all is well, keep up the peddling and don't forget to enjoy the trip

Paul