Day 8 - Nabiac to Nelson Bay

dannii

Apr 15, 2003
Eight Days down and only three to go!!!!!

Between the trucks running the highway outside and the fact that I was slowly Chriogenically freezing in my cabin was enough to ensure that sleep didn't come easy. I awoke at 4am this morning and just couldn't get back to sleep. So I decided that there is no time like the present. I left my cabin a little before 5.30 and hit the pavement once again.

The gods were kind to me this morning, I finally got myself a nice NW wind that would push me through the Bulahdelah Range that lay ahead. The roads were wet when I left, but it was not raining so that was on my side too :)

I couldn't believe how much faster I was propelled along with my new found tail wind. As I decended one hill in the range I reached a speed of 67.3 km/hr.....I must admit that fully loaded on a 6 yr old Giant Mountain bike......67.3km/hr is a little scary. One ditch and it would have been Austa Livista Baby!! (spelling??? :confused: )

Due to my early start and my good fortune with the weather, I made it into Bulahdelah a little before 9am this morning.

Now nothing against Bulahdelah, as it is a beautiful little spot, but there is not exactly alot to do there.

I don't know if it was due to my newly found second wind or what, but I decided that I would push on to Nelson Bay. I lived in Nelson Bay about 5yrs ago, so I had a lot of people to catch up with. It was another 69km of pretty hard going terrain to Nelson Bay, but I arrivd there a little before 3pm.

When I showed up on my friends' door with push bike at hand, they couldn't believe what I was doing. "You always were a little crazy" came one reply :D

I stayed in the Bay for the evening after feasting on pasta with friends at a local Italian Restaurant. It was fantastic to catch up with so many old friends for the second day in a row.......it really feels like more of an adventure when these little impromptu moments occur. Besides, it amused me to hear "I still can't believe you are doing this......you are definately certifiable", at least a dozen times throughout dinner.....hehehe

The old achilles tendons and right knee are starting to give me hell with each pedal stroke. Fortunately it is only 30km to Newcastle tomorrow, I can get to my hotel nice and early, jump in the tub and soak!!!!!!!

till then...........

Stats:
Total Km's = 116km
Total time = 7hrs and 13mins
Avg speed = 17.4km/hr

nice to hear from you ...although we could do without all the whingeing.......

Gee thanks Lee.....nice stepdad you are....you are supposed to be sympathetic of my needs....hehehe Where's the love??? :(