Death to the derailleur

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

> I did, however, have a frame made early in the game that used an eccentric BB
> shell. It was really elegant.

I'm curious: if you were having a custom frame made, why go with
something as complex as an eccentric BB instead of just a horizontal
dropout?

CC

Per Corvus Corvax:
>I'm curious: if you were having a custom frame made, why go with
>something as complex as an eccentric BB instead of just a horizontal
>dropout?

On the face of it, that seems like the better solution.

I don't know enough to assess the tradeoffs - but most people seem to go with
the eccentric BB, adjustable dropouts, or a chain tensioner.

Maybe something to do with QR design?

Greater minds than mine will probably supply the answer.
--
PeteCresswell

> >I'm curious: if you were having a custom frame made, why go with
> >something as complex as an eccentric BB instead of just a horizontal
> >dropout?

> On the face of it, that seems like the better solution.
>
> I don't know enough to assess the tradeoffs - but most people seem to go with
> the eccentric BB, adjustable dropouts, or a chain tensioner.
>
> Maybe something to do with QR design?

I've been told Thorn are dropping the EBB on their Raven bikes to go
for Nicolai-style sliding dropouts:
http://www.nicolai.net/order/argon-rocc.htm - there have presumably
been problems with the design, or maybe it's a weight-based decision, I
don't know.

Per [email protected]:
>http://www.nicolai.net/order/argon-rocc.htm -

Just looking at the photo, I'd say that they are pretty much what my Rohloffs
are.

Sounds like you're going with a Thorn.

One thing (maybe peculiar to me...) that I prefer on a Rohloff-specific frame is
cable guides take the whole cable/housing - and not stops where there is a span
of bare cable down around the stays. The Rohloff system doesn't care about
slop in the cable and it bugs me to have those stops/runs of bare cable down
there where the mud collects. I like stops/bare cable on the top tube because
then I can put splitters/joiners in the cables - making it easier to break the
bike down.
--
PeteCresswell

> >http://www.nicolai.net/order/argon-rocc.htm -
>
> Just looking at the photo, I'd say that they are pretty much what my Rohloffs
> are.
>
> Sounds like you're going with a Thorn.
> One thing (maybe peculiar to me...) that I prefer on a Rohloff-specific frame is
> cable guides take the whole cable/housing - and not stops where there is a span
> of bare cable down around the stays.

The Thorn is one option but, like yourself, I prefer full length cable
housings (even with standard gear setups). The problem with all the
frames I've looked at is there's something not quite right with each
one, so it may be a custom job. This is a bike I expect to be riding
for some time, so it'd be worth the extra cash.

I have a warranty replacement Trek waiting for me in my sister's attic
next time I go back to the UK, but I just can't work up any enthusiasm
for riding it.

[email protected] wrote:

> I have a warranty replacement Trek waiting for me in my sister's attic
> next time I go back to the UK, but I just can't work up any enthusiasm
> for riding it.

Sorry, I've lost track (pun intended).

Where are you these days you silly git?

"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote:

>(PeteCresswell) wrote:
>>
>> I did, however, have a frame made early in the game that used an eccentric BB
>> shell. It was really elegant.

>I'm curious: if you were having a custom frame made, why go with
>something as complex as an eccentric BB instead of just a horizontal
>dropout?

There are a number of advantages to an EBB over a HDO...

The HDOs are notorious for slipping under load (gotta have nice,
serrated axle and skewer faces), you have to fiddle with the rear
wheel to get it aligned, and it can be difficult to get the rear wheel
out in a hurry (depends on how far back in the slot the axle is when
the chain is tensioned). If you opt for a disc brake, moving the
wheel in the HDO messes with the caliper to disc alignment (not a good
thing).

The downside of the EBB is mainly in the extra weight, though it's
only going to be a few ounces max. Your rear wheel won't slip, it's a
piece of cake to install it and tension the wheel, and you can run a
disc without fiddling with it. You can also use a right dropout with
a derailleur hanger if you so choose, allowing you to install a
"regular" derailleur should you ever have to do so (never know - you
could break your hub in the middle of a month-long ride in Mongolia).
;-)

Some people like the fact that you can usually find a couple different
positions for the crank to get the chain tension correct - choose the
"down position" for commuting and the "up position" for off-road, for
example.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

"pete fagerlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> I have a warranty replacement Trek waiting for me in my sister's attic
>> next time I go back to the UK, but I just can't work up any enthusiasm
>> for riding it.

> Sorry, I've lost track (pun intended).
>
> Where are you these days you silly git?

He probably doesn't have his panties in a knot as this your province

> >> I have a warranty replacement Trek waiting for me in my sister's attic
> >> next time I go back to the UK, but I just can't work up any enthusiasm
> >> for riding it.

> > Sorry, I've lost track (pun intended). Where are you these days you silly git?

I'm back living in China: http://petejones.fotopic.net/ . I haven't
been on the bike for two weeks, since I fell off (drinking six pints of
beer often has that effect) and suffered what seems to be a separated
shoulder. Fortunately, guanxi (contacts) are everything here, and my
girlfriend is a doctor, so I'm off for a free consultation with the
Province's top orthopaedic surgeon this evening...!

> Bob Rogers whined:
> He probably doesn't have his panties in a knot as this your province

If I understood what that meant, you half literate cretin, I'd respond
to it with the contempt it probably deserves.

> >> I did, however, have a frame made early in the game that used an eccentric BB
> >> shell. It was really elegant.

> >I'm curious: if you were having a custom frame made, why go with
> >something as complex as an eccentric BB instead of just a horizontal
> >dropout?

> There are a number of advantages to an EBB over a HDO...

I've always thought that myself - I don't fancy horizontal d/outs for
the reasons you've stated, and I dunno - bolted sliding dropouts? I
snap frame welds, I just can't see them staying put, little bolts stuck
way out at the end of the bike. Another option would be a dropout
design like this bike:

http://homepage.mac.com/spittingcat/cotic/product/roadrat.html

i.e. horizontal d/outs, but with a chain tug adaptor to run different
setups. The more I look
at this bike, the more I like it.

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm back living in China: http://petejones.fotopic.net/ . I haven't
> been on the bike for two weeks, since I fell off (drinking six pints of
> beer often has that effect) and suffered what seems to be a separated
> shoulder. Fortunately, guanxi (contacts) are everything here, and my
> girlfriend is a doctor, so I'm off for a free consultation with the
> Province's top orthopaedic surgeon this evening...!

You drunk freak. Were you wearing a helmet and did it save your life?
heheheh

JD

> > I'm back living in China: http://petejones.fotopic.net/ . I haven't
> > been on the bike for two weeks, since I fell off (drinking six pints of
> > beer often has that effect) and suffered what seems to be a separated
> > shoulder. Fortunately, guanxi (contacts) are everything here, and my
> > girlfriend is a doctor, so I'm off for a free consultation with the
> > Province's top orthopaedic surgeon this evening...!

> You drunk freak. Were you wearing a helmet and did it save your life?
> heheheh

The luck of the drunk...

One horse syringe of steroids into my shoulder later and I feel much
better!

Pete

[email protected] wrote:

>>>Sorry, I've lost track (pun intended). Where are you these days you silly git?

> I'm back living in China: http://petejones.fotopic.net/ .

Cool, whereabouts? I just got back from China, mostly the eastern half:
Beijing, Datong, Pingyao, Xian, Guilin/Yangshuo, Huangshan, and
Shanghai. I can definitely understand why you're living in China. We
had a great time, the people are great, the land is great, and the only
problem we had was Kimberly losing her right Teva (brand new!) down the
toilet in the middle of the night on the train between Pingyao and Xian.

Cheers,
Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

G.T. wrote:
> the only
> problem we had was Kimberly losing her right Teva (brand new!) down the
> toilet in the middle of the night on the train between Pingyao and Xian.

How does one lose a Teva down a toilet?

JD

> the only problem we had was Kimberly losing her right Teva (brand new!)
> down the toilet
> Cheers,
> Greg

Next time try putting the toilet seat cover DOWN [first] before engaging
in sex on the loo.
--
Slack

G.T. wrote:

> > I'm back living in China: http://petejones.fotopic.net/ .

> Cool, whereabouts? I just got back from China, mostly the eastern half:
> Beijing, Datong, Pingyao, Xian, Guilin/Yangshuo, Huangshan, and
> Shanghai. I can definitely understand why you're living in China. We
> had a great time, the people are great, the land is great

I'm living in Xinjiang, the far NW 'Wild West' of China, up against the
borders with Mongolia and the Central Asian states. It's very different
from mainland eastern China. If you are geared up for torrent
downloads, I would recommend these BBC TV programmes if you want to
make sense of the country:

http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=bbc+china

Pete

[email protected] wrote:

> I'm living in Xinjiang, the far NW 'Wild West' of China, up against the
> borders with Mongolia and the Central Asian states. It's very different
> from mainland eastern China.

A very moving Op-Ed from the New York Times by an ethnic Uighur from
Xinjiang:

http://tinyurl.com/hs3cr

Back to the original topic in this thread, I will be very interested to
hear the outcome of your bike build project with the Rohloff, if it
comes to fruition. My current fantasy bike is a custom steel hardtail
with S&S couplers so it can be broken down for air travel, with a
Rohloff hub and a short travel coil and oil fork, or maybe rigid.

CC

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:12:46 -0700, <[email protected]> wrote:

> Slack wrote:
>
>> > the only problem we had was Kimberly losing her right Teva (brand

>> new!)
>> > down the toilet

>> Next time try putting the toilet seat cover DOWN [first] before engaging
>> in sex on the loo.

> Toilets you sit on, with covers. What a quaint concept.
>
> Try these next time, Greg:
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25689-2008452,00.html

You have no idea how familar I am with this toilet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:20060730160336_-_T27_-_Toilet.jpg
--
Slack