Death to the derailleur

> >> new!)
> >>

> >> Next time try putting the toilet seat cover DOWN [first] before engaging
> >> in sex on the loo.

> > Toilets you sit on, with covers. What a quaint concept.
> >
> > Try these next time, Greg:
> > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25689-2008452,00.html
> >

> You have no idea how familar I am with this toilet.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:20060730160336_-_T27_-_Toilet.jpg

And never will be - wikipedia is blocked in China by the net
censors....

Pete

On 19 Sep 2006 20:32:52 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> And never will be - wikipedia is blocked in China by the net censors....

It was just a version of those little pots in the floor that you see all
over Asia (though its a lot cleaner than most of the ones I was exposed
to).

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address

[email protected] wrote:

>>> Toilets you sit on, with covers. What a quaint concept.
>>>
>>> Try these next time, Greg:
>>> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25689-2008452,00.html
>>>

>> You have no idea how familar I am with this toilet.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:20060730160336_-_T27_-_Toilet.jpg

> And never will be - wikipedia is blocked in China by the net
> censors....
>
> Pete

Use a proxy. They all do there.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:32:52 -0700, <[email protected]> wrote:

>> engaging
>> >
>> > Toilets you sit on, with covers. What a quaint concept.
>> >
>> > Try these next time, Greg:
>> > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25689-2008452,00.html
>> >

>> You have no idea how familar I am with this toilet.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:20060730160336_-_T27_-_Toilet.jpg

> And never will be - wikipedia is blocked in China by the net
> censors....
>
> Pete

That blows. I do remember watching a documentary about China and their new
economy. They did a little piece on Internet business and censorship.

try this one http://www.banterist.com/archivefiles/images/squat-toilet.jpg

--
Slack

Slack wrote:

>>> engaging

>>> You have no idea how familar I am with this toilet.
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:20060730160336_-_T27_-_Toilet.jpg

>> And never will be - wikipedia is blocked in China by the net
>> censors....
>>
>> Pete
>>

> That blows. I do remember watching a documentary about China and their
> new economy. They did a little piece on Internet business and censorship.
>
> try this one http://www.banterist.com/archivefiles/images/squat-toilet.jpg
>
> --Slack

Screw that! Use this: http://www.samair.ru/proxy/

Just set the proxy under tools-options-general-connections in firefox.
IE is similar. Then you are surfing through the proxy, not the chinese
firewall.

They want to be the next great economy and civilization, then they need
to allow something called FREEDOM.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:59:47 -0700, Ride-A-Lot
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Screw that! Use this: http://www.samair.ru/proxy/
>
> Just set the proxy under tools-options-general-connections in firefox.
> IE is similar. Then you are surfing through the proxy, not the chinese
> firewall.
>
> They want to be the next great economy and civilization, then they need
> to allow something called FREEDOM.

I couldn't agree more, but it's going to take a little more time...
perhaps some blood shed.

I don't understand how that proxy works. Either way you have to make it
out of their (China) Network, which is where the filter is. Isn't it?
--
Slack

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:44:16 -0700, G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:

> I just got back from China, mostly the eastern half: Beijing, Datong,
> Pingyao, Xian, Guilin/Yangshuo, Huangshan, and Shanghai.
> Cheers,
> Greg

Btw, since I know you brought the XT, where are the pix?
--
Slack

Slack wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:59:47 -0700, Ride-A-Lot
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Screw that! Use this: http://www.samair.ru/proxy/
>>
>> Just set the proxy under tools-options-general-connections in
>> firefox. IE is similar. Then you are surfing through the proxy, not
>> the chinese firewall.
>>
>> They want to be the next great economy and civilization, then they
>> need to allow something called FREEDOM.
>>

> I couldn't agree more, but it's going to take a little more time...
> perhaps some blood shed.
>
> I don't understand how that proxy works. Either way you have to make it
> out of their (China) Network, which is where the filter is. Isn't it?

The proxy is outside the China network, as long as China hasn't blocked
access to that proxy and you can reach it, then you can browse through
that proxy, the proxy actually hits the sites you're looking for and
passes the page back to you in China.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

Slack wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:44:16 -0700, G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I just got back from China, mostly the eastern half: Beijing, Datong,
>> Pingyao, Xian, Guilin/Yangshuo, Huangshan, and Shanghai.
>> Cheers,
>> Greg

> Btw, since I know you brought the XT, where are the pix?

I almost didn't but I'm glad I did, I was worried about leaving it
somewhere with our hectic pace but our little A70 just doesn't cut it.

BTW, http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/China/bathroom.jpg

I'm still working on the pics. I'm going to put up a very mini ride
report in a minute with the couple of bike shots I did take.

Greg

--

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:29:47 -0700, <[email protected]> wrote:

> Slack wrote:
>
>> > They want to be the next great economy and civilization, then they

>> need
>> > to allow something called FREEDOM.
>> >

> Ah, who needs freedom when you have....penis transplants!
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,1874818,00.html

That's when you know you wife has you by the balls:

"Although the operation was a surgical success, surgeons said they had to
remove the penis two weeks later. "Because of a severe psychological
problem
of the recipient and his wife, the transplanted penis regretfully had to
be cut
off," Dr Hu said. An examination of the organ showed no signs of it being
rejected by the body."

>> I couldn't agree more, but it's going to take a little more time...
>> perhaps some blood shed.

> Not enough time - ever heard of Peak Oil?

No, I haven't
--
Slack

[email protected] wrote:
> G.T. wrote:

>>>I'm back living in China: http://petejones.fotopic.net/ .

>>Cool, whereabouts? I just got back from China, mostly the eastern half:
>> Beijing, Datong, Pingyao, Xian, Guilin/Yangshuo, Huangshan, and
>>Shanghai. I can definitely understand why you're living in China. We
>>had a great time, the people are great, the land is great

> I'm living in Xinjiang, the far NW 'Wild West' of China, up against the
> borders with Mongolia and the Central Asian states. It's very different
> from mainland eastern China.

Nice. With our pathetic vacation policies in the US I won't be back
until next year but when we do it will be to the west. If you're still
there I'll stop by.

Greg

--

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:08:25 -0700, G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:

> Slack wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:44:16 -0700, G.T. <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I just got back from China, mostly the eastern half: Beijing, Datong,
>>> Pingyao, Xian, Guilin/Yangshuo, Huangshan, and Shanghai.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Greg

>> Btw, since I know you brought the XT, where are the pix?

> I almost didn't but I'm glad I did, I was worried about leaving it
> somewhere with our hectic pace but our little A70 just doesn't cut it.
>
> BTW, http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/China/bathroom.jpg

SOB, that is soooo nasty... I can practically smell it from here. Being a
good boyfriend, why didn't you fish out the Teva with your bare hands???

> I'm still working on the pics. I'm going to put up a very mini ride
> report in a minute with the couple of bike shots I did take.
>
> Greg

Cool.
--
Slack

JD wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>
>>the only
>>problem we had was Kimberly losing her right Teva (brand new!) down the
>>toilet in the middle of the night on the train between Pingyao and Xian.

> How does one lose a Teva down a toilet?

Something like this. We were on the train to Xian and Kimberly woke up
around 1am to pee. She didn't want to wake her cabinmates, we were
actually a couple of cabins away from each other, so she didn't stick
the velcro on her straps before heading to the bathroom. She did her
business and when she was moving her leg over the hole in the floor of
the train, off slipped the Teva, and, as she says, floooop, there her
Teva went down through drain and out of the train. Somewhere along the
tracks between Pingyao and Xian is a practically brand new right Teva
Terra Fi 2 sandal.

Greg
--

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote:

>G.T. wrote:
>> the only
>> problem we had was Kimberly losing her right Teva (brand new!) down the
>> toilet in the middle of the night on the train between Pingyao and Xian.

>How does one lose a Teva down a toilet?

"Toilet" is a strong word for those things. Picture a porcelain hole
in the ground, kinda oblong. You don't sit on them, you squat over
them. One of the problems they have when they install "modern"
western-style toilets in China is that people fall off of them (their
feet slip). I'm not kidding.

They do have a point though - there's something odd about sharing a
"seat" with other naked people throughout the day... (still, I'll take
the good ol' American Standard Megaflusher any day).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Per Mark Hickey:
>One of the problems they have when they install "modern"
>western-style toilets in China is that people fall off of them (their
>feet slip). I'm not kidding.

When I was working nights in a Waikiki hotel, we could always tell when a
Japanese tour group had checked in - by the footprints on the toilet seats.

There's a flip side to Asian toilets though.... "You mean you actually *sit* on
that thing? You let you skin *touch* it????"
--
PeteCresswell

Per Ride-A-Lot:
>Just set the proxy under tools-options-general-connections in firefox.
>IE is similar. Then you are surfing through the proxy, not the chinese
>firewall.

Is that to say that censoring internet content is technically not feasible?
(other than identifying and blocking all proxies)?
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Ride-A-Lot:
>> Just set the proxy under tools-options-general-connections in firefox.
>> IE is similar. Then you are surfing through the proxy, not the chinese
>> firewall.

> Is that to say that censoring internet content is technically not feasible?
> (other than identifying and blocking all proxies)?

That's to say there is always a way around censorship.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws