Deciding between 3 steel bikes-adivice!!

jamisrace

Jul 8, 2010
Hello,

I just joined this forum and I am from Princeton, NJ.....

I am looking to purchase my first steel cross/tour bike. I currently ride the Jamis
Ventura Race for the last 3 years and now looking to trade it in for a more comfortable, slightly upright ride. I consider myself a more casual, recreational rider
these days and love casual, enjoyable long weekend rides with friends of 25, 35, maybe 50 miles. I love charity rides and some group rides.
I am NOT interested in racing, keeping time or pace lines. Over the last several weeks
I have looking at several nice steel bikes and have come to narrow my choice down to the following three.....

1. Jamis Aurora Elite (the 2009 model year, do not like the 2010) - 57cm
2. Bianchi Volpe - 55cm
3. Masi Speciale CX - 56cm

I am 5 11, 170lbs and 32" inseam.

All 3 bikes are pretty close and all have there pluses and minuses. My favorite as
far as looks goes is the Masi and many favorite as far as ride who be ALL of them!
Yes, they all felt very nice and smooth.
The Aurora Elite and the Volpe have the triple crank, as opposed to the Masi with
the compact double.

I would love to get folks opinions on which bike will prove to be the most appropriate for me over the long term. Which bike has the better quality frame?
Should I go with the triple or the double??

Thanks!
Michael

It's a toss up. Looks wise I like the Masi because it looks old school, and it got high reviews. The Jamis has slightly better components along with a better frame 631 vs 4130, and it too got high reviews. Overall I would probably take the Jamis. The only issue I have with the Jamis for you is the frame size you mentioned at 57, with the inseam you mentioned you would be closer to a 55. Have you ridden all three bikes? If not I would suggest you ride the Masi and the Jamis for at least 5 miles, not around the parking lot, to get a feel for the bikes.