Defining a "rest day" after overtraining

JamesAA

Aug 10, 2013
My legs have been dead all week. Ironically I did LESS activity this week. I'm guessing it's the culmination of what I was doing in the 6-8 weeks prior that caught up with me. I was sprinting a lot (on and off the bike). To make matters worse I'm sleeping poorly, which doesn't help with recovery. I may be sleeping poorly because of my sore legs, or in spite of them, but either way I'm far from 100% at the moment.

So "rest" is obviously advised. What exactly does that mean though? No walks? No light bike rides or swims? I was going to try a rest day this week, except for my upper body, which is fine. I'll still do upper body weights. But my legs need rest. So should I sit as much as possible? Or is it best to do light activity like walks, and if so how much? I found a lot of literature online advocating "rest", but none of the sites I researched clearly defined what "rest" is.

Many thanks

Rest and recovery have become synonymous, but they are different. I would define active recovery as doing about 25% less, at about 25% less intensity--but I sense your plan seems to be go hard always, that might not work for you. Rest, is rest: do nothing, eat well, sleep well. I tend to rest for a day or two when I need it, or work interferes, and don't do nearly enough active recovery.I am plagiarizing and paraphrasing from an old website that I borrowed a while ago for an email to a friend, and apologize in advance for the fact that I have long since lost the source.

It also doesn't sound like you are doing a true periodization plan, which would involve macrocycles, mesocycles, and microcycles. Basically, this involves building a macrocycle upon when you want to peak; and then splitting that macro cycle up into mesocycles where you start to ladder up, and each mesocycle involves a series of microcycles.The macrocycle is the longest of the three cycles and includes all four stages of a periodized training program (e.g., endurance, intensity, competition and recovery). Because macrocycles incorporate all 52 weeks of your annual plan, they provide you with a bird's-eye view of your training regimen and allow you to facilitate long-range planning.

Instead, it sounds like you've just been going hard for the past 6-8 weeks until your body finally said, "No mas." In the umbrella of periodization, Mesocycles are typically three or four weeks in length. Two very common mesocycles consist of 21 and 28-day training blocks. For example, a 25-year old experienced competitor might use a 23/5 training pattern (i.e., a 28-day mesocycle). This consists of 23 days of relatively hard work followed by 5 days of recovery and easy spinning. Conversely, an older or less-experienced cyclist may opt for a 16/5 training pattern (i.e., a 21-day mesocycle) that includes 16 days of hard training followed by 5 days of recovery. 6-8 weeks would be almost two mesocycles, and you would have microcycles within that cycle that would incorporate recovery and rest, which would be do nothing, and active recovery days, which would be do activities well below your stress levels to permit recovery.

A microcycle is the shortest training cycle, typically lasting a week with the goal of facilitating a focused block of training. An example of this is an endurance block where a cyclist strings three or four long rides together within one week to progressively overload training volume.

Another example incorporates block training, which consists of very hard workouts for two or three consecutive days followed by an equal amount of recovery (days off or very easy rides). This would constitute an intensity microcycle where the goal is to improve key physiological abilities such as lactate threshold (the highest intensity a fit cyclist can maintain for 60 minutes) and aerobic capacity (the maximum amount of oxygen the body can consume during high intensity exercise). Generally speaking, three or four microcycles are tied together to form a mesocycle.

Many of us don't follow a formal periodization schedule and simply train hard whenever we can, and work, life, rest, etc imposes sufficient forced rest that it still works out OK. Its not optimum, but you can progress. Traditionally, winter tended to be a period of recovery, and as winter broke, group rides, races, and more opportunity to train outdoors created a natural mesocycle into the late spring for early summer events; then the dog days forced more rest into late July and August, and the fall starts another few mesocycles where you are peaking as the race season approaches. if you were a cyclocross rider, you focused on peaking in the fall; if you were a criterium racer, you focused on peaking in late June.

Nowadays, folks train year round with a lot of quality training occurring indoors over the winter, which is why periodization has become more standard for serious athletes.

FWIW, I'll give you a little different take on resting due to cumulative fatigue, based on my own experience and practice. When my schedule permits, I train every day and I do a lot of volume (e.g., 15-20 hrs/week). I also do as much volume as possible at L4+ (Coggan schema). This means that I almost always train with a relatively high level of cumulative fatigue. When the cumulative fatigue is too high (e.g., dead legs), I continue to ride and continue to ride at the same intensity. I just back off on the volume (e.g., 50% of normal) for a few days. The only time I don't ride is when I mentally feel like I need a few days off. I don't plan these breaks from the bike, I just go by how I feel mentally. I'm not really advocating this approach for you or anyone else. Just a different approach to when, why and how to alter a training schedule due to cumulative fatigue.

Reactions: kopride
FWIW, I also do as much volume as possible at L4+ (Coggan schema). This means that I almost always train with a relatively high level of cumulative fatigue. When the cumulative fatigue is too high (e.g., dead legs), I continue to ride and continue to ride at the same intensity. I just back off on the volume (e.g., 50% of normal) for a few days. The only time I don't ride is when I mentally feel like I need a few days off. I don't plan these breaks from the bike, I just go by how I feel mentally. I'm not really advocating this approach for you or anyone else. Just a different approach to when, why and how to alter a training schedule due to cumulative fatigue.

Interesting approach RDO. During most of my 40s, I followed a similar plan that basically involved a lot of SST and 2 x 20s as frequently as I could train. What happened for me was that I progressed fairly steadily up until a FTP of about 280, plateaued, and then saw a decline as I got closer to 50 to where I was struggling at about 250-260. The other change is that I basically became a diesel engine where I could plug away for long periods of riding at 240, but I had a hard time taking it up to higher levels for those brief periods. And yes, my breaks were more circumstantial and by feel than planned periodization.

Last year I started doing more racing, particularly in cyclocross; and participating in more fast group rides. Sure enough, I raced like I trained, plugging along, but unable to match a faster group when they turned it on for brief spurts. When I started doing Zwift races, it became even more pronounced. In fact, I was exerting a greater average watts than the winners of my class--so much that I would get upgraded in category--but losing because I would get dropped when they would bring the pain for those spurts. In zwift, you are categorized by watts/kg, so if your w/k is too high, they automatically disqualify you from your elected class and regroup you with the higher class. So I was hammering a higher average w/k, and finishing behind "slower" riders because I would get dropped because I couldn't match the power when it briefly went up and broke up the packs. It was horrible, I would go out with the leaders, get dropped when the pack took it up to higher power levels, and then got stuck in that no mans land between the lead group, and a much slower group behind. My average power numbers were great, but I was not racing well because I was not able to power it up to keep from getting dropped.

Here is an example: https://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=4225 The winner of that C race finished in 44: 19 with a 3.07 w/k. I averaged 3.45 w/k and finished in 45:56, more than 1.5 minutes behind. Why? because he hung on with the pack and I got dropped. He hit 4.6 w/k for 1 minute, and I could only hit 4.15. I also got beat by a rider who averaged only 239 watts and 3.07 w/k even though I was 280 and 3.45--again, his 1minute power was higher than mine.

Unless you are time trialing, our steady diet of SST and L4+ work is a path to getting dropped by guys with slightly smaller motors, but a bit more on the high end during that sweet one minute when one of the stronger pack riders takes it up just a bit higher than what you can hold

A microcycle is the shortest training cycle, typically lasting a week with the goal of facilitating a focused block of training. An example of this is an endurance block where a cyclist strings three or four long rides together within one week to progressively overload training volume.

Hey, great post! Microcycles are indeed an important part of training. It's crucial to gradually increase volume to maximize training benefits. ‍♂️