Desert Ideas needed please.

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Sarah, May 2, 2006.

  1. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    I'm working nights this week, and the anaesthetist is cooking our main meal
    on Wednesday night. He's making a stew type of thing (can't remember the
    name) that contains duck, wild boar and chorizo sausage, served with garlic
    bread.
    I was sort of volunteered for desert, I have some frozen summer berries and
    fruit, lots of double cream, and was thinking of doing Barbs rhubarb cake,
    but with the summer fruit. (I'd put the fruit in the bottom first as they
    tend not to sink ) I would have done rhubarb but it's nut available at the
    moment here.
    What's peoples opinions on whether it will go with this rich main course,
    and have you got any other suggestions, I don't really want to be going to
    the shops for lots more ingredients when I get up tomorrow!
    Thanks
    Sarah

    Tags:

  2. Tara

    Tara Guest

    On Tue, 02 May 2006 16:43:15 GMT, "Sarah" <sarahrylance13@yahoo.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >I'm working nights this week, and the anaesthetist is cooking our main meal
    >on Wednesday night. He's making a stew type of thing (can't remember the
    >name) that contains duck, wild boar and chorizo sausage, served with garlic
    >bread.
    >I was sort of volunteered for desert, I have some frozen summer berries and
    >fruit, lots of double cream, and was thinking of doing Barbs rhubarb cake,
    >but with the summer fruit. (I'd put the fruit in the bottom first as they
    >tend not to sink ) I would have done rhubarb but it's nut available at the
    >moment here.
    >What's peoples opinions on whether it will go with this rich main course,
    >and have you got any other suggestions, I don't really want to be going to
    >the shops for lots more ingredients when I get up tomorrow!

    The dessert sounds tasty to me. Will everyone sit down and eat
    together, or is this a grab a bite when you get the chance kind of
    thing? If it's grab and go, I wouldn't worry about the richness of
    the dessert. People might like to eat the main dish early in the
    shift and then have some dessert later on. Overnight shifts require
    lots of food!

    Tara

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hmmm, fruit and cream ... we just had a dinner where we had to do dessert
    and we did a Berry Lemon Mousse Parfait. You can find it at:

    http://dessert.allrecipes.com/az/BrryLmnMssPrfit.asp

    The recipe calls for strawberries and blue berries but I'd imagine you could
    use what you have.

    Bob

  4. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    It depends on how busy we are whether we get to eat together, or grab
    and go, I think I'll put it to everyone, the cake or the parfait, and
    go with the majority!
    thanks
    Sarah

  5. "Sarah" <sarahrylance13@yahoo.co.uk>

    > I'm working nights this week, and the anaesthetist is cooking our main
    > meal on Wednesday night. He's making a stew type of thing (can't
    > remember the name) that contains duck, wild boar and chorizo sausage,
    > served with garlic bread.
    > I was sort of volunteered for desert, I have some frozen summer
    > berries and fruit, lots of double cream, and was thinking of doing
    > Barbs rhubarb cake, but with the summer fruit. (I'd put the fruit in
    > the bottom first as they tend not to sink ) I would have done rhubarb
    > but it's nut available at the moment here.
    > What's peoples opinions on whether it will go with this rich main
    > course, and have you got any other suggestions, I don't really want to
    > be going to the shops for lots more ingredients when I get up
    > tomorrow! Thanks
    > Sarah

    I'm telling ya', a simple pound cake (laden with butter in the batter)
    topped with fresh fruit and some fresh whipped cream will stand up to
    almost anything, rich or poor.

    Michael

    --
    "The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe."
    John Gould, Monstrous Depravity, 1963

  6. On Tue, 02 May 2006 16:43:15 GMT, "Sarah" <sarahrylance13@yahoo.co.uk>
    rummaged among random neurons and opined:

    <snip>

    >What's peoples opinions on whether it will go with this rich main course,
    >and have you got any other suggestions, I don't really want to be going to
    >the shops for lots more ingredients when I get up tomorrow!

    One of the most dead easiest desserts I know (and pretty and light,
    besides) is:

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Strawberries With Crisp Wontons

    desserts

    4 won-ton wrappers
    1 tablespoon butter; melted
    2 T. + 1 t. sugar
    2 pints strawberries; hulled
    1 pint heavy cream
    pinch five spice powder or cinnamon and
    cloves

    Preheat oven to 425°F. Brush both sides of won-ton wrappers lightly
    with melted butter. Spread 2 tablespoons sugar on a plate and press
    skins into sugar to coat evenly on both sides. Place on a nonstick or
    buttered baking sheet. Bake for 4 - 5 mins. or until won-tons begin to
    turn golden brown. Turn and cook an additional 2 mins. or until evenly
    browned. Remove from baking sheets and let cool.

    Slice strawberries among four plates. Top with cream and crisp
    won-tons and serve.

    Yield: 4 servings

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
    classed as cannybals."

    Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

  7. Jke

    Jke Guest

    After a meal like that, I think something wih oranges would be good. But I
    suspect summer fruit means red fruits? In which case I'd go heavy on the
    fruit and not too heavy on the cream. Maybe I'd do a cobbler type of thing
    with not too much, dough maybe a dough that is softer, more cakey than
    crumbley or more like a batter. For a lighter feel in the mouth. And serve
    it with whipped cream.

    Clafoutis woudl be an option, too.

  8. DreamSong

    DreamSong Guest

    I made this for Easter dinner, and it was quite a hit!!! The original
    recipe called for cranberries and 2 cups of sugar, which makes a
    wonderful Thanksgiving or Christmas dessert. Freeze in a cold freezer
    to keep the ice crystals small.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Frozen Berry Salad

    1 pound Berries -- ground
    1/2 cup sugar
    13 1/2 ounces pineapple -- crushed
    2 cups marshmallows -- tiny
    1/2 cup nuts -- chopped
    1 pint whipping cream -- whipped

    Combine cranberries with sugar and let stand for two hours. Whip
    cream and fold in cranberry sugar mixture. Add other ingredients and
    softly mix. Freeze.

    DreamSong

Share This Page