Desert Ideas needed please.

Sarah

Guest
I'm working nights this week, and the anaesthetist is cooking our main meal
on Wednesday night. He's making a stew type of thing (can't remember the
name) that contains duck, wild boar and chorizo sausage, served with garlic
bread.
I was sort of volunteered for desert, I have some frozen summer berries and
fruit, lots of double cream, and was thinking of doing Barbs rhubarb cake,
but with the summer fruit. (I'd put the fruit in the bottom first as they
tend not to sink ) I would have done rhubarb but it's nut available at the
moment here.
What's peoples opinions on whether it will go with this rich main course,
and have you got any other suggestions, I don't really want to be going to
the shops for lots more ingredients when I get up tomorrow!
Thanks
Sarah

On Tue, 02 May 2006 16:43:15 GMT, "Sarah" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm working nights this week, and the anaesthetist is cooking our main meal
>on Wednesday night. He's making a stew type of thing (can't remember the
>name) that contains duck, wild boar and chorizo sausage, served with garlic
>bread.
>I was sort of volunteered for desert, I have some frozen summer berries and
>fruit, lots of double cream, and was thinking of doing Barbs rhubarb cake,
>but with the summer fruit. (I'd put the fruit in the bottom first as they
>tend not to sink ) I would have done rhubarb but it's nut available at the
>moment here.
>What's peoples opinions on whether it will go with this rich main course,
>and have you got any other suggestions, I don't really want to be going to
>the shops for lots more ingredients when I get up tomorrow!

The dessert sounds tasty to me. Will everyone sit down and eat
together, or is this a grab a bite when you get the chance kind of
thing? If it's grab and go, I wouldn't worry about the richness of
the dessert. People might like to eat the main dish early in the
shift and then have some dessert later on. Overnight shifts require
lots of food!

Tara

It depends on how busy we are whether we get to eat together, or grab
and go, I think I'll put it to everyone, the cake or the parfait, and
go with the majority!
thanks
Sarah

"Sarah" <[email protected]>
news:D[email protected]:

> I'm working nights this week, and the anaesthetist is cooking our main
> meal on Wednesday night. He's making a stew type of thing (can't
> remember the name) that contains duck, wild boar and chorizo sausage,
> served with garlic bread.
> I was sort of volunteered for desert, I have some frozen summer
> berries and fruit, lots of double cream, and was thinking of doing
> Barbs rhubarb cake, but with the summer fruit. (I'd put the fruit in
> the bottom first as they tend not to sink ) I would have done rhubarb
> but it's nut available at the moment here.
> What's peoples opinions on whether it will go with this rich main
> course, and have you got any other suggestions, I don't really want to
> be going to the shops for lots more ingredients when I get up
> tomorrow! Thanks
> Sarah

I'm telling ya', a simple pound cake (laden with butter in the batter)
topped with fresh fruit and some fresh whipped cream will stand up to
almost anything, rich or poor.

Michael

--
"The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe."
John Gould, Monstrous Depravity, 1963

On Tue, 02 May 2006 16:43:15 GMT, "Sarah" <[email protected]>
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

<snip>

>What's peoples opinions on whether it will go with this rich main course,
>and have you got any other suggestions, I don't really want to be going to
>the shops for lots more ingredients when I get up tomorrow!

One of the most dead easiest desserts I know (and pretty and light,
besides) is:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Strawberries With Crisp Wontons

desserts

4 won-ton wrappers
1 tablespoon butter; melted
2 T. + 1 t. sugar
2 pints strawberries; hulled
1 pint heavy cream
pinch five spice powder or cinnamon and
cloves

Preheat oven to 425°F. Brush both sides of won-ton wrappers lightly
with melted butter. Spread 2 tablespoons sugar on a plate and press
skins into sugar to coat evenly on both sides. Place on a nonstick or
buttered baking sheet. Bake for 4 - 5 mins. or until won-tons begin to
turn golden brown. Turn and cook an additional 2 mins. or until evenly
browned. Remove from baking sheets and let cool.

Slice strawberries among four plates. Top with cream and crisp
won-tons and serve.

Yield: 4 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

After a meal like that, I think something wih oranges would be good. But I
suspect summer fruit means red fruits? In which case I'd go heavy on the
fruit and not too heavy on the cream. Maybe I'd do a cobbler type of thing
with not too much, dough maybe a dough that is softer, more cakey than
crumbley or more like a batter. For a lighter feel in the mouth. And serve
it with whipped cream.

Clafoutis woudl be an option, too.

I made this for Easter dinner, and it was quite a hit!!! The original
recipe called for cranberries and 2 cups of sugar, which makes a
wonderful Thanksgiving or Christmas dessert. Freeze in a cold freezer
to keep the ice crystals small.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Frozen Berry Salad

1 pound Berries -- ground
1/2 cup sugar
13 1/2 ounces pineapple -- crushed
2 cups marshmallows -- tiny
1/2 cup nuts -- chopped
1 pint whipping cream -- whipped

Combine cranberries with sugar and let stand for two hours. Whip
cream and fold in cranberry sugar mixture. Add other ingredients and
softly mix. Freeze.

DreamSong