Did Natural Health Cure My Infected Jaw/cheek?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mr-Natural-Health, Jan 1, 2006.

  1. I do not know precisely what I was suffering from, but I woke up Friday
    morning with what felt like an infected Jaw/cheek. My left jaw, just
    below my ear lobe, in a fleshy part of the skin, I could obviously feel
    a lumpy mass of inflamed flesh. It was painful to eat food.

    I did not do anything to treat the problem on Friday. On Saturday, I
    took it more seriously and decided that the problem must be due to an
    infection inside my mouth. So, I started out gargling with H2O2.
    Nothing happened. So, I then preceded to stuff my left cheek full of
    cotton balls soaked in H2O2. Still no relief. So, by the end of
    Saturday I decided to give up on the H2O2. And, switched to vitamins.
    20,000 IU's of vitamin A. And, 30 mg of Zinc. Plus two grams of
    vitamin C. I woke up twice Saturday night and took two more grams of
    vitamin C each time.

    On Sunday morning, eating applesauce and drinking a cold Pepsi was
    painful. I repeated my dosage of vitamin A and Zinc. I took two more
    grams of vitamin C. Still nothing happened. In fact, it felt like the
    infection had traveled up to my left ear. I was convinced by early
    Sunday afternoon that I would have to see a doctor on Monday. I
    repeated taking 2 grams of vitamin C a couple of more times. Then at
    approximately 6 pm on Sunday, I ate some chicken pain free. I felt
    remarkably better. My ear ache had disappeared. I again took two more
    dosages of 2 grams of vitamin C, a few hours apart.

    The fleshy spot below my ear lobe still feels slightly sore, but it is
    no longer painful to eat. And, what ever I had it sure managed to go
    from one extreme to the other in the space of a few hours on Sunday,
    New Year's Day 2006. And, I no longer have that feeling that an
    infection in your face/ear gives you.

    So, tell me scientists: What cured my inflamed jaw/cheek?

    I do not know for sure, but I sure as heck will try vitamin C the next
    time this problem happens again.
    --
    john gohde
     
    Tags:


  2. Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
    > I do not know precisely what I was suffering from, but I woke up Friday
    > morning with what felt like an infected Jaw/cheek. My left jaw, just
    > below my ear lobe, in a fleshy part of the skin, I could obviously feel
    > a lumpy mass of inflamed flesh. It was painful to eat food.
    >
    > I did not do anything to treat the problem on Friday. On Saturday, I
    > took it more seriously and decided that the problem must be due to an
    > infection inside my mouth. So, I started out gargling with H2O2.
    > Nothing happened. So, I then preceded to stuff my left cheek full of
    > cotton balls soaked in H2O2. Still no relief. So, by the end of
    > Saturday I decided to give up on the H2O2. And, switched to vitamins.
    > 20,000 IU's of vitamin A. And, 30 mg of Zinc. Plus two grams of
    > vitamin C. I woke up twice Saturday night and took two more grams of
    > vitamin C each time.
    >
    > On Sunday morning, eating applesauce and drinking a cold Pepsi was
    > painful. I repeated my dosage of vitamin A and Zinc. I took two more
    > grams of vitamin C. Still nothing happened. In fact, it felt like the
    > infection had traveled up to my left ear. I was convinced by early
    > Sunday afternoon that I would have to see a doctor on Monday. I
    > repeated taking 2 grams of vitamin C a couple of more times. Then at
    > approximately 6 pm on Sunday, I ate some chicken pain free. I felt
    > remarkably better. My ear ache had disappeared. I again took two more
    > dosages of 2 grams of vitamin C, a few hours apart.
    >
    > The fleshy spot below my ear lobe still feels slightly sore, but it is
    > no longer painful to eat. And, what ever I had it sure managed to go
    > from one extreme to the other in the space of a few hours on Sunday,
    > New Year's Day 2006. And, I no longer have that feeling that an
    > infection in your face/ear gives you.
    >
    > So, tell me scientists: What cured my inflamed jaw/cheek?
    >
    > I do not know for sure, but I sure as heck will try vitamin C the next
    > time this problem happens again.
    > --
    > john gohde


    I'm more concerned with what may have caused the pain and swelling than
    speculating about if and how vitamin c may have "cured" the problem.
    You should be examined. If I were a betting man, I'd guess that you
    have a sialadenitis of the parotid gland. This may be caused by a stone
    in the duct, and if so it is likely that the pain and swelling will recur.
    My recommendation is to be examined by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.

    Steve

    >
     
  3. montygram

    montygram Guest

    It's the arachidonic acid and the dietary PUFAs in general. They cause
    these kinds of "stones," and then the inflammation is enhanced greatly.
    But nobody can tell this individual much, because he thinks he is some
    sort of "nature boy," and that he has all the answers. I'm surprised
    he didn't claim that the Pepsi cured him.
     
  4. montygram wrote:
    > It's the arachidonic acid and the dietary PUFAs in general. They cause
    > these kinds of "stones," and then the inflammation is enhanced greatly.
    > But nobody can tell this individual much, because he thinks he is some
    > sort of "nature boy," and that he has all the answers. I'm surprised
    > he didn't claim that the Pepsi cured him.
    >



    I assumed as such. But I just thought I'd post appropriate advice anyhow.

    Steve
     
  5. montygram wrote:

    > It's the arachidonic acid and the dietary PUFAs in general. They cause
    > these kinds of "stones," and then the inflammation is enhanced greatly.
    > But nobody can tell this individual much, because he thinks he is some
    > sort of "nature boy," and that he has all the answers. I'm surprised
    > he didn't claim that the Pepsi cured him.


    Maybe it was a stone or what ever?. Maybe the vitamin C dissolved the
    stone? Maybe, vitamin C got rid ot the infection or what ever?

    Once I actually got an appendicitis attack, but it went away all by
    itself. It came back years later, and I thought that it would probably
    go away again. And, waited too long to go to the hospital. If this
    problem happens again, then I might know what it is.

    The last time, I went to the doctor they gave me so much grief over
    absolutely nothing that I really don't think that they would respond
    too well to a request to examine a non-existing problem. Of course,
    they would be happy to screw me on the bill for their services.

    I have suffered through out my life from a number of different
    problems.

    At one time, my hands used to lock up from some type of a neurological
    problem. I used also to suffer from corporal tunnel syndrome because
    my hands would tingle all the time.

    The fact that my taking vitamin E might have cured or at least managed
    my neurological problems without the need of a cackle of doctors, is
    something that you people don't want to accept. I have had no repeated
    episodes of my hands locking up in about 20 years.

    The way I look at it, you are NOT dead until you are dead. So, far
    the other people in my age bracket are dropping dead faster than me. :)

    Just thought that you might want to know.
     
  6. johngohde@naturalhealthperspective.com wrote:
    >
    >
    > Maybe it was a stone or what ever?. Maybe the vitamin C dissolved the
    > stone? Maybe, vitamin C got rid ot the infection or what ever?


    The history of these things is that attacks tend to be episodic. The
    pain and swelling may spontaneously remit, then relapse.
    Any comment I made regarding vitamin C would be pure speculation.
    Of course, if the condition has completely resolved, it may well be
    more difficult to determine the cause of your recent attack. But if
    there is any residual pain or swelling, or if the symptoms return, try
    to get in to a surgeon promptly. This will make determining the cause
    easier.

    Steve

    >
    > Once I actually got an appendicitis attack, but it went away all by
    > itself. It came back years later, and I thought that it would probably
    > go away again. And, waited too long to go to the hospital. If this
    > problem happens again, then I might know what it is.
    >
    > The last time, I went to the doctor they gave me so much grief over
    > absolutely nothing that I really don't think that they would respond
    > too well to a request to examine a non-existing problem. Of course,
    > they would be happy to screw me on the bill for their services.
    >
    > I have suffered through out my life from a number of different
    > problems.
    >
    > At one time, my hands used to lock up from some type of a neurological
    > problem. I used also to suffer from corporal tunnel syndrome because
    > my hands would tingle all the time.
    >
    > The fact that my taking vitamin E might have cured or at least managed
    > my neurological problems without the need of a cackle of doctors, is
    > something that you people don't want to accept. I have had no repeated
    > episodes of my hands locking up in about 20 years.
    >
    > The way I look at it, you are NOT dead until you are dead. So, far
    > the other people in my age bracket are dropping dead faster than me. :)
    >
    > Just thought that you might want to know.
    >
     
  7. Brian Gordon

    Brian Gordon Guest

    In article <43B8A471.8090501@earthlink.net>,
    Steven Bornfeld <dentaltwinmung@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >
    >Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> So, tell me scientists: What cured my inflamed jaw/cheek?
    >> [...]


    Perhaaps, 'tincture of time"? For all we know, your tries at cure slowed down
    nature's own cure. That's the trouble with anecdotes.

    --
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    | Brian Gordon -->briang@panix.com<-- brian.gordon at cox dot net |
    + Bass: "Spirit of Phoenix" SPEBSQSA Chorus +
    -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
     
  8. JohnDoe

    JohnDoe Guest

    Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
    > I do not know precisely what I was suffering from, but I woke up Friday
    > morning with what felt like an infected Jaw/cheek. My left jaw, just
    > below my ear lobe, in a fleshy part of the skin, I could obviously feel
    > a lumpy mass of inflamed flesh. It was painful to eat food.


    Didn't you claim just recently that you were in perfect health and
    impervious to any and all infedtions because of your perfect
    healthcondition?

    > I did not do anything to treat the problem on Friday. On Saturday, I
    > took it more seriously and decided that the problem must be due to an
    > infection inside my mouth. So, I started out gargling with H2O2.
    > Nothing happened. So, I then preceded to stuff my left cheek full of
    > cotton balls soaked in H2O2. Still no relief. So, by the end of
    > Saturday I decided to give up on the H2O2. And, switched to vitamins.
    > 20,000 IU's of vitamin A. And, 30 mg of Zinc. Plus two grams of
    > vitamin C. I woke up twice Saturday night and took two more grams of
    > vitamin C each time.
    >
    > On Sunday morning, eating applesauce and drinking a cold Pepsi was
    > painful. I repeated my dosage of vitamin A and Zinc. I took two more
    > grams of vitamin C. Still nothing happened. In fact, it felt like the
    > infection had traveled up to my left ear. I was convinced by early
    > Sunday afternoon that I would have to see a doctor on Monday. I
    > repeated taking 2 grams of vitamin C a couple of more times. Then at
    > approximately 6 pm on Sunday, I ate some chicken pain free. I felt
    > remarkably better. My ear ache had disappeared. I again took two more
    > dosages of 2 grams of vitamin C, a few hours apart.
    >
    > The fleshy spot below my ear lobe still feels slightly sore, but it is
    > no longer painful to eat. And, what ever I had it sure managed to go
    > from one extreme to the other in the space of a few hours on Sunday,
    > New Year's Day 2006. And, I no longer have that feeling that an
    > infection in your face/ear gives you.
    >
    > So, tell me scientists: What cured my inflamed jaw/cheek?


    Your immune system. But you obviously have to work on it since it
    apparently is not as perfect yet as you claimed it is, or you would not
    have gotten this inflammation in the first place now would you.

    > I do not know for sure, but I sure as heck will try vitamin C the next
    > time this problem happens again.


    Oh yes please do. One of these days it's bound to be something your
    immune system can't cope with and the gene pool will be better of for it.

    > --
    > john gohde
     
  9. cathyb

    cathyb Guest

    JohnDoe wrote:
    > Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
    > > I do not know precisely what I was suffering from, but I woke up Friday
    > > morning with what felt like an infected Jaw/cheek. My left jaw, just
    > > below my ear lobe, in a fleshy part of the skin, I could obviously feel
    > > a lumpy mass of inflamed flesh. It was painful to eat food.

    >
    > Didn't you claim just recently that you were in perfect health and
    > impervious to any and all infedtions because of your perfect
    > healthcondition?


    John, John (shakes head sadly). Were you expecting consistency from an
    alternaut?

    Happy New Year,

    Cathy

    >
    > > I did not do anything to treat the problem on Friday. On Saturday, I
    > > took it more seriously and decided that the problem must be due to an
    > > infection inside my mouth. So, I started out gargling with H2O2.
    > > Nothing happened. So, I then preceded to stuff my left cheek full of
    > > cotton balls soaked in H2O2. Still no relief. So, by the end of
    > > Saturday I decided to give up on the H2O2. And, switched to vitamins.
    > > 20,000 IU's of vitamin A. And, 30 mg of Zinc. Plus two grams of
    > > vitamin C. I woke up twice Saturday night and took two more grams of
    > > vitamin C each time.
    > >
    > > On Sunday morning, eating applesauce and drinking a cold Pepsi was
    > > painful. I repeated my dosage of vitamin A and Zinc. I took two more
    > > grams of vitamin C. Still nothing happened. In fact, it felt like the
    > > infection had traveled up to my left ear. I was convinced by early
    > > Sunday afternoon that I would have to see a doctor on Monday. I
    > > repeated taking 2 grams of vitamin C a couple of more times. Then at
    > > approximately 6 pm on Sunday, I ate some chicken pain free. I felt
    > > remarkably better. My ear ache had disappeared. I again took two more
    > > dosages of 2 grams of vitamin C, a few hours apart.
    > >
    > > The fleshy spot below my ear lobe still feels slightly sore, but it is
    > > no longer painful to eat. And, what ever I had it sure managed to go
    > > from one extreme to the other in the space of a few hours on Sunday,
    > > New Year's Day 2006. And, I no longer have that feeling that an
    > > infection in your face/ear gives you.
    > >
    > > So, tell me scientists: What cured my inflamed jaw/cheek?

    >
    > Your immune system. But you obviously have to work on it since it
    > apparently is not as perfect yet as you claimed it is, or you would not
    > have gotten this inflammation in the first place now would you.
    >
    > > I do not know for sure, but I sure as heck will try vitamin C the next
    > > time this problem happens again.

    >
    > Oh yes please do. One of these days it's bound to be something your
    > immune system can't cope with and the gene pool will be better of for it.
    >
    > > --
    > > john gohde
     
  10. JohnDoe wrote:

    > Didn't you claim just recently that you were in perfect health and
    > impervious to any and all infedtions because of your perfect
    > healthcondition?


    NO! Never!

    And, anybody who claims that they never get is a liar.

    What I do claim is a quick recovery time.

    I went to work Thursday nauseated. As expected, I recovered in about 3
    hours. I did throw up about 3 times in the process. The next day, I
    discovered that eating food was painful. So, I thought: Gee this
    might have something to do with me throwing up the day before? I did
    nothing about it. The problem got worst. A lot worst. When I finally
    tried using vitamin C after initially having bought into all your crap
    about vitamin C the problem resolved within a few hours.

    I know precisely why I got nauseated, too. It came from a headache
    that started the day before. The headache comes from a chronic dental
    problem from one specific 'amalgam shadow' on my upper jaw. I had all
    my teeth extracted in '91. When I had all my rotten teeth, I had major
    big time dental headaches. I took 3 adult size aspirins every night
    for at least 10 years. After, I started wearing dentures. These
    dental headaches quickly dissappeared. I had virtually no problems or
    dental headaches for at least 10 years. But, lately these dental
    headaches have developed.

    Finally, I went to a dentist about this problem. He refused to do
    anything about it because he said it was a medical problem. No teeth,
    therefore no nerves, therefore no pain, therefore no problem. Yet, it
    still manages to get me occasionally nauseated. So, I theorized that
    my jaw must be getting inflamed from infections. That theory is not
    working completely, but it seems to help.

    That is the problem with conventional medicine. Nobody takes
    responsibility for solving these types of unique problems. Heck,
    conventional medicine even refuses to admit that I have a problem at
    all.

    Actually, I have a long history of problems with the left side of my
    face which started with a fractured cheek bone and the medical
    treatment to cure it. The left side of my face ended up totally numb
    for approximately 10 years. Somehow, over time the numbness went away
    and now it feels totally normal.

    Again, a few years back I had a thyroid problem again only on the left
    side of my face. That feeling was totally different from this feeling.
    Again, I did absolutely nothing about it for 2 or 3 months. Finally I
    went to the doctor. She diagnosed it as a thyroid problem. And, she
    screwed me on a bunch of unnecessary blood tests. I self medicated
    with vitamins and the thyroid problem self-corrected within one month.

    I will probably have problems with the left side of my face until I
    die, Jack. What is your problem? Got a bug up your arse?
     
  11. Steven Bornfeld wrote:

    > Of course, if the condition has completely resolved, it may well be
    > more difficult to determine the cause of your recent attack.


    Yes, as of this morning the problem appears to be have completely
    resolved. And, I do not see how 'Patient First' or any HMO in the
    country would take my complaints seriously at this point.
     
  12. montygram wrote:

    > It's the arachidonic acid and the dietary PUFAs in general. They cause
    > these kinds of "stones," and then the inflammation is enhanced greatly.
    > But nobody can tell this individual much, because he thinks he is some
    > sort of "nature boy," and that he has all the answers. I'm surprised
    > he didn't claim that the Pepsi cured him.


    Call me crazy Monty, but what I am supremely confident about is the
    fact that dietary PUFAs in general had absolutely nothing to do with my
    problem. :)

    By the way, Pepsi makes a great laxative. It might actually cure your
    bug-up-the-arse problem.

    Just thought that you might want to know, that you must be really
    desperate to try to make a PUFA connection.

    You have my condolences.
     
  13. Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
    > Steven Bornfeld wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Of course, if the condition has completely resolved, it may well be
    >>more difficult to determine the cause of your recent attack.

    >
    >
    > Yes, as of this morning the problem appears to be have completely
    > resolved. And, I do not see how 'Patient First' or any HMO in the
    > country would take my complaints seriously at this point.
    >



    Considering your symptoms are typical for a real, identifiable and
    rather common condition, I don't know why you would say this, unless it
    is a comment on your perception of the quality of the HMOs in question.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com
    Brooklyn, NY
    718-258-5001
     
  14. Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:

    > Considering your symptoms are typical for a real, identifiable and
    > rather common condition, I don't know why you would say this, unless it
    > is a comment on your perception of the quality of the HMOs in question.
    > --
    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    > http://www.dentaltwins.com
    > Brooklyn, NY
    > 718-258-5001


    Since, you appear to be a dentist can you be a little bit more
    specific? What do you call this common condition? What is the usual
    course of treatment? What kind of a doctor does the treatment?

    The dentist that I had talked too sure was not very helpful.
     
  15. Mr-Natural-Health wrote:

    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Considering your symptoms are typical for a real, identifiable and
    >>rather common condition, I don't know why you would say this, unless it
    >>is a comment on your perception of the quality of the HMOs in question.
    >>--
    >>Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    >>http://www.dentaltwins.com
    >>Brooklyn, NY
    >>718-258-5001

    >
    >
    > Since, you appear to be a dentist can you be a little bit more
    > specific? What do you call this common condition? What is the usual
    > course of treatment? What kind of a doctor does the treatment?
    >
    > The dentist that I had talked too sure was not very helpful.
    >


    Again the standard disclaimer: I haven't examined you, this is just a
    speculation based upon your description of the symptoms.
    I believe the most likely diagnosis is sialadenitis, perhaps combined
    with sialolithiasis (salivary stones). The treatment depends upon the
    cause. If it is a stone, standard treatment is removal, which may
    require canulization or surgery. Oral surgeons do this commonly.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com
    Brooklyn, NY
    718-258-5001
     
  16. Steven Bornfeld wrote:

    > If I were a betting man, I'd guess that you
    > have a sialadenitis of the parotid gland. This may be caused by a stone
    > in the duct, and if so it is likely that the pain and swelling will recur.


    We were basically both right on this issue. :)

    Vitamin C did the trick.

    I had the right cure, but specified the wrong reason. Saliva excretion
    is stimulated by ascorbic acid and that is what apparently did the
    trick.

    I found out a few interesting things.

    #1 Saliva excretion is stimulated by ascorbic acid.

    #2 Impaired salivary flow is a common, chronic, autoimmune,
    inflammatory connective tissue disease, that is similar to autoimmune
    thyroiditis. (Autoimmune thyroiditis could be what I have, or was
    recently suffering from?)
    http://www.nuclearmedicinecomm.com/pt/re/nucmedcomm/abstract.00006231-200210000-00014.htm;jsessionid=D5wYfaCMd2x758GeomlB5dQqr0VAUnV2FZgpsr1U8kfGo6b10G8B!-1094538453!-949856144!9001!-1

    Nonneoplastic disorders of the parotid gland.
    Neonatal submandibular sialadenitis. Am J Otolaryngol. 1980
    May;1(3):261-263.
    .... Treatment with essential fatty acids and vitamin C. Med Hypotheses.
    ....
    http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1010775&blobtype=pdf
    --
    john gohde
     
  17. montygram

    montygram Guest

    Here's an obcure one that is on point. Note that vitamin C could help,
    but nobody knows (lack of specifc studies), and there appears to be a
    very easy way of avoiding these problems in the first place. Ingesting
    more than trace amounts of PUFAs, however, appears to be at least one
    way to cause them:

    Patol Fiziol Eksp Ter. 1991 Jul-Aug;(4):48-50.

    [The mechanisms of disordered oxidative metabolism at different
    stages of acute experimental inflammation of the salivary glands]

    [Article in Russian]

    Rozenblats AV, Volozhin AI.

    Acute purulent sialadenitis was modelled in experiments on rabbits
    by injecting Staphylococcus aureus. Follow-up of the development of
    inflammation showed an intimate relation between changes of the level
    of gland oxygenation and the values characterizing tissue respiration,
    carbohydrate metabolism, and lipid peroxidation.
     
  18. JohnDoe

    JohnDoe Guest

    Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
    > Steven Bornfeld wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Of course, if the condition has completely resolved, it may well be
    >>more difficult to determine the cause of your recent attack.

    >
    >
    > Yes, as of this morning the problem appears to be have completely
    > resolved. And, I do not see how 'Patient First' or any HMO in the
    > country would take my complaints seriously at this point.


    They might take you seriously if it's the first time they ever meet you.
     
  19. Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
    > Steven Bornfeld wrote:
    >
    >
    >>If I were a betting man, I'd guess that you
    >>have a sialadenitis of the parotid gland. This may be caused by a stone
    >>in the duct, and if so it is likely that the pain and swelling will recur.

    >
    >
    > We were basically both right on this issue. :)
    >
    > Vitamin C did the trick.
    >
    > I had the right cure, but specified the wrong reason. Saliva excretion
    > is stimulated by ascorbic acid and that is what apparently did the
    > trick.
    >
    > I found out a few interesting things.
    >
    > #1 Saliva excretion is stimulated by ascorbic acid.
    >
    > #2 Impaired salivary flow is a common, chronic, autoimmune,
    > inflammatory connective tissue disease, that is similar to autoimmune
    > thyroiditis. (Autoimmune thyroiditis could be what I have, or was
    > recently suffering from?)
    > http://www.nuclearmedicinecomm.com/pt/re/nucmedcomm/abstract.00006231-200210000-00014.htm;jsessionid=D5wYfaCMd2x758GeomlB5dQqr0VAUnV2FZgpsr1U8kfGo6b10G8B!-1094538453!-949856144!9001!-1
    >
    > Nonneoplastic disorders of the parotid gland.
    > Neonatal submandibular sialadenitis. Am J Otolaryngol. 1980
    > May;1(3):261-263.
    > ... Treatment with essential fatty acids and vitamin C. Med Hypotheses.
    > ...
    > http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1010775&blobtype=pdf
    > --
    > john gohde
    >


    Couple of points:

    1) Impaired salivary flow can have many causes. One is Sjogren's
    syndrome which is considered autoimmune. I have no reason to believe
    that this is your problem. It is characterized by (among other things)
    a PAINLESS enlargement of the parotid glands. This has no relationship
    to a garden variety parotitis (with or without stones)
    2) It is properly called salivary SECRETION, not EXCRETION--we are not
    dealing with a waste product here.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com
    Brooklyn, NY
    718-258-5001
     
  20. PeterB

    PeterB Guest

    Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
    > I do not know precisely what I was suffering from, but I woke up Friday
    > morning with what felt like an infected Jaw/cheek. My left jaw, just
    > below my ear lobe, in a fleshy part of the skin, I could obviously feel
    > a lumpy mass of inflamed flesh. It was painful to eat food.
    >
    > I did not do anything to treat the problem on Friday. On Saturday, I
    > took it more seriously and decided that the problem must be due to an
    > infection inside my mouth. So, I started out gargling with H2O2.
    > Nothing happened. So, I then preceded to stuff my left cheek full of
    > cotton balls soaked in H2O2. Still no relief. So, by the end of
    > Saturday I decided to give up on the H2O2. And, switched to vitamins.
    > 20,000 IU's of vitamin A. And, 30 mg of Zinc. Plus two grams of
    > vitamin C. I woke up twice Saturday night and took two more grams of
    > vitamin C each time.
    >
    > On Sunday morning, eating applesauce and drinking a cold Pepsi was
    > painful. I repeated my dosage of vitamin A and Zinc. I took two more
    > grams of vitamin C. Still nothing happened. In fact, it felt like the
    > infection had traveled up to my left ear. I was convinced by early
    > Sunday afternoon that I would have to see a doctor on Monday. I
    > repeated taking 2 grams of vitamin C a couple of more times. Then at
    > approximately 6 pm on Sunday, I ate some chicken pain free. I felt
    > remarkably better. My ear ache had disappeared. I again took two more
    > dosages of 2 grams of vitamin C, a few hours apart.
    >
    > The fleshy spot below my ear lobe still feels slightly sore, but it is
    > no longer painful to eat. And, what ever I had it sure managed to go
    > from one extreme to the other in the space of a few hours on Sunday,
    > New Year's Day 2006. And, I no longer have that feeling that an
    > infection in your face/ear gives you.
    >
    > So, tell me scientists: What cured my inflamed jaw/cheek?
    >
    > I do not know for sure, but I sure as heck will try vitamin C the next
    > time this problem happens again.
    > --
    > john gohde


    It's possible the additional vitamin c was of some benefit if your
    facial tissues were inflammed. Your overall nutrient status is already
    a factor in your body's ability to heal itself. At the same time,
    people assume that supplemental nutrients have the ability to impact
    their physical structure more quickly than is normally possible. Most
    illness is a direct consequence of a nutritional deficiency, but
    "direct" doesn't necessarily mean "immediate." For instance, heart
    disease can result from long-standing iron, vitamin c, magnesium, or
    other deficiencies, however because of the synergist-antagonist
    relationships of nutrients to one another, the illness usually doesn't
    become symptomatic for a period of years, or at least months. Proper
    treatment necessarily involves a variety of nutrients applied over a
    similar period of time (though usually less than the time it took to
    become chronically ill), before the disease reverses. In your case,
    the body's normal recovery process was the means for relieving your
    pain, however the application of vitamin therapy probably wasn't
    responsible for most of your improvement in real time. The greatest
    benefit to your health from the additional vitamin c and zinc will be
    their effect on your overall nutrient homeostasis, reducing your chance
    for future illness.

    PeterB
     

Share This Page

Loading...