Did Natural Health Cure My Infected Jaw/cheek?

Mr-Natural-Health

Guest
I do not know precisely what I was suffering from, but I woke up Friday
morning with what felt like an infected Jaw/cheek. My left jaw, just
below my ear lobe, in a fleshy part of the skin, I could obviously feel
a lumpy mass of inflamed flesh. It was painful to eat food.

I did not do anything to treat the problem on Friday. On Saturday, I
took it more seriously and decided that the problem must be due to an
infection inside my mouth. So, I started out gargling with H2O2.
Nothing happened. So, I then preceded to stuff my left cheek full of
cotton balls soaked in H2O2. Still no relief. So, by the end of
Saturday I decided to give up on the H2O2. And, switched to vitamins.
20,000 IU's of vitamin A. And, 30 mg of Zinc. Plus two grams of
vitamin C. I woke up twice Saturday night and took two more grams of
vitamin C each time.

On Sunday morning, eating applesauce and drinking a cold Pepsi was
painful. I repeated my dosage of vitamin A and Zinc. I took two more
grams of vitamin C. Still nothing happened. In fact, it felt like the
infection had traveled up to my left ear. I was convinced by early
Sunday afternoon that I would have to see a doctor on Monday. I
repeated taking 2 grams of vitamin C a couple of more times. Then at
approximately 6 pm on Sunday, I ate some chicken pain free. I felt
remarkably better. My ear ache had disappeared. I again took two more
dosages of 2 grams of vitamin C, a few hours apart.

The fleshy spot below my ear lobe still feels slightly sore, but it is
no longer painful to eat. And, what ever I had it sure managed to go
from one extreme to the other in the space of a few hours on Sunday,
New Year's Day 2006. And, I no longer have that feeling that an
infection in your face/ear gives you.

So, tell me scientists: What cured my inflamed jaw/cheek?

I do not know for sure, but I sure as heck will try vitamin C the next
time this problem happens again.
--
john gohde

Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
> I do not know precisely what I was suffering from, but I woke up Friday
> morning with what felt like an infected Jaw/cheek. My left jaw, just
> below my ear lobe, in a fleshy part of the skin, I could obviously feel
> a lumpy mass of inflamed flesh. It was painful to eat food.
>
> I did not do anything to treat the problem on Friday. On Saturday, I
> took it more seriously and decided that the problem must be due to an
> infection inside my mouth. So, I started out gargling with H2O2.
> Nothing happened. So, I then preceded to stuff my left cheek full of
> cotton balls soaked in H2O2. Still no relief. So, by the end of
> Saturday I decided to give up on the H2O2. And, switched to vitamins.
> 20,000 IU's of vitamin A. And, 30 mg of Zinc. Plus two grams of
> vitamin C. I woke up twice Saturday night and took two more grams of
> vitamin C each time.
>
> On Sunday morning, eating applesauce and drinking a cold Pepsi was
> painful. I repeated my dosage of vitamin A and Zinc. I took two more
> grams of vitamin C. Still nothing happened. In fact, it felt like the
> infection had traveled up to my left ear. I was convinced by early
> Sunday afternoon that I would have to see a doctor on Monday. I
> repeated taking 2 grams of vitamin C a couple of more times. Then at
> approximately 6 pm on Sunday, I ate some chicken pain free. I felt
> remarkably better. My ear ache had disappeared. I again took two more
> dosages of 2 grams of vitamin C, a few hours apart.
>
> The fleshy spot below my ear lobe still feels slightly sore, but it is
> no longer painful to eat. And, what ever I had it sure managed to go
> from one extreme to the other in the space of a few hours on Sunday,
> New Year's Day 2006. And, I no longer have that feeling that an
> infection in your face/ear gives you.
>
> So, tell me scientists: What cured my inflamed jaw/cheek?
>
> I do not know for sure, but I sure as heck will try vitamin C the next
> time this problem happens again.
> --
> john gohde

I'm more concerned with what may have caused the pain and swelling than
speculating about if and how vitamin c may have "cured" the problem.
You should be examined. If I were a betting man, I'd guess that you
have a sialadenitis of the parotid gland. This may be caused by a stone
in the duct, and if so it is likely that the pain and swelling will recur.
My recommendation is to be examined by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.

Steve

It's the arachidonic acid and the dietary PUFAs in general. They cause
these kinds of "stones," and then the inflammation is enhanced greatly.
But nobody can tell this individual much, because he thinks he is some
sort of "nature boy," and that he has all the answers. I'm surprised
he didn't claim that the Pepsi cured him.

montygram wrote:
> It's the arachidonic acid and the dietary PUFAs in general. They cause
> these kinds of "stones," and then the inflammation is enhanced greatly.
> But nobody can tell this individual much, because he thinks he is some
> sort of "nature boy," and that he has all the answers. I'm surprised
> he didn't claim that the Pepsi cured him.

I assumed as such. But I just thought I'd post appropriate advice anyhow.

Steve

montygram wrote:

> It's the arachidonic acid and the dietary PUFAs in general. They cause
> these kinds of "stones," and then the inflammation is enhanced greatly.
> But nobody can tell this individual much, because he thinks he is some
> sort of "nature boy," and that he has all the answers. I'm surprised
> he didn't claim that the Pepsi cured him.

Maybe it was a stone or what ever?. Maybe the vitamin C dissolved the
stone? Maybe, vitamin C got rid ot the infection or what ever?

Once I actually got an appendicitis attack, but it went away all by
itself. It came back years later, and I thought that it would probably
go away again. And, waited too long to go to the hospital. If this
problem happens again, then I might know what it is.

The last time, I went to the doctor they gave me so much grief over
absolutely nothing that I really don't think that they would respond
too well to a request to examine a non-existing problem. Of course,
they would be happy to screw me on the bill for their services.

I have suffered through out my life from a number of different
problems.

At one time, my hands used to lock up from some type of a neurological
problem. I used also to suffer from corporal tunnel syndrome because
my hands would tingle all the time.

The fact that my taking vitamin E might have cured or at least managed
my neurological problems without the need of a cackle of doctors, is
something that you people don't want to accept. I have had no repeated
episodes of my hands locking up in about 20 years.

The way I look at it, you are NOT dead until you are dead. So, far
the other people in my age bracket are dropping dead faster than me. :)

Just thought that you might want to know.

[email protected] wrote:

> Maybe it was a stone or what ever?. Maybe the vitamin C dissolved the
> stone? Maybe, vitamin C got rid ot the infection or what ever?

The history of these things is that attacks tend to be episodic. The
pain and swelling may spontaneously remit, then relapse.
Any comment I made regarding vitamin C would be pure speculation.
Of course, if the condition has completely resolved, it may well be
more difficult to determine the cause of your recent attack. But if
there is any residual pain or swelling, or if the symptoms return, try
to get in to a surgeon promptly. This will make determining the cause
easier.

Steve

> Once I actually got an appendicitis attack, but it went away all by
> itself. It came back years later, and I thought that it would probably
> go away again. And, waited too long to go to the hospital. If this
> problem happens again, then I might know what it is.
>
> The last time, I went to the doctor they gave me so much grief over
> absolutely nothing that I really don't think that they would respond
> too well to a request to examine a non-existing problem. Of course,
> they would be happy to screw me on the bill for their services.
>
> I have suffered through out my life from a number of different
> problems.
>
> At one time, my hands used to lock up from some type of a neurological
> problem. I used also to suffer from corporal tunnel syndrome because
> my hands would tingle all the time.
>
> The fact that my taking vitamin E might have cured or at least managed
> my neurological problems without the need of a cackle of doctors, is
> something that you people don't want to accept. I have had no repeated
> episodes of my hands locking up in about 20 years.
>
> The way I look at it, you are NOT dead until you are dead. So, far
> the other people in my age bracket are dropping dead faster than me. :)
>
> Just thought that you might want to know.

In article <[email protected]>,
Steven Bornfeld <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
>> [...]
>> So, tell me scientists: What cured my inflamed jaw/cheek?
>> [...]

Perhaaps, 'tincture of time"? For all we know, your tries at cure slowed down
nature's own cure. That's the trouble with anecdotes.

--
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| Brian Gordon -->[email protected]<-- brian.gordon at cox dot net |

Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
> I do not know precisely what I was suffering from, but I woke up Friday
> morning with what felt like an infected Jaw/cheek. My left jaw, just
> below my ear lobe, in a fleshy part of the skin, I could obviously feel
> a lumpy mass of inflamed flesh. It was painful to eat food.

Didn't you claim just recently that you were in perfect health and
impervious to any and all infedtions because of your perfect
healthcondition?

> I did not do anything to treat the problem on Friday. On Saturday, I
> took it more seriously and decided that the problem must be due to an
> infection inside my mouth. So, I started out gargling with H2O2.
> Nothing happened. So, I then preceded to stuff my left cheek full of
> cotton balls soaked in H2O2. Still no relief. So, by the end of
> Saturday I decided to give up on the H2O2. And, switched to vitamins.
> 20,000 IU's of vitamin A. And, 30 mg of Zinc. Plus two grams of
> vitamin C. I woke up twice Saturday night and took two more grams of
> vitamin C each time.
>
> On Sunday morning, eating applesauce and drinking a cold Pepsi was
> painful. I repeated my dosage of vitamin A and Zinc. I took two more
> grams of vitamin C. Still nothing happened. In fact, it felt like the
> infection had traveled up to my left ear. I was convinced by early
> Sunday afternoon that I would have to see a doctor on Monday. I
> repeated taking 2 grams of vitamin C a couple of more times. Then at
> approximately 6 pm on Sunday, I ate some chicken pain free. I felt
> remarkably better. My ear ache had disappeared. I again took two more
> dosages of 2 grams of vitamin C, a few hours apart.
>
> The fleshy spot below my ear lobe still feels slightly sore, but it is
> no longer painful to eat. And, what ever I had it sure managed to go
> from one extreme to the other in the space of a few hours on Sunday,
> New Year's Day 2006. And, I no longer have that feeling that an
> infection in your face/ear gives you.
>
> So, tell me scientists: What cured my inflamed jaw/cheek?

Your immune system. But you obviously have to work on it since it
apparently is not as perfect yet as you claimed it is, or you would not
have gotten this inflammation in the first place now would you.

> I do not know for sure, but I sure as heck will try vitamin C the next
> time this problem happens again.

Oh yes please do. One of these days it's bound to be something your
immune system can't cope with and the gene pool will be better of for it.

JohnDoe wrote:
> Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
> > I do not know precisely what I was suffering from, but I woke up Friday
> > morning with what felt like an infected Jaw/cheek. My left jaw, just
> > below my ear lobe, in a fleshy part of the skin, I could obviously feel
> > a lumpy mass of inflamed flesh. It was painful to eat food.

> Didn't you claim just recently that you were in perfect health and
> impervious to any and all infedtions because of your perfect
> healthcondition?

John, John (shakes head sadly). Were you expecting consistency from an
alternaut?

Happy New Year,

Cathy

JohnDoe wrote:

> Didn't you claim just recently that you were in perfect health and
> impervious to any and all infedtions because of your perfect
> healthcondition?

NO! Never!

And, anybody who claims that they never get is a liar.

What I do claim is a quick recovery time.

I went to work Thursday nauseated. As expected, I recovered in about 3
hours. I did throw up about 3 times in the process. The next day, I
discovered that eating food was painful. So, I thought: Gee this
might have something to do with me throwing up the day before? I did
nothing about it. The problem got worst. A lot worst. When I finally
tried using vitamin C after initially having bought into all your ****
about vitamin C the problem resolved within a few hours.

I know precisely why I got nauseated, too. It came from a headache
that started the day before. The headache comes from a chronic dental
problem from one specific 'amalgam shadow' on my upper jaw. I had all
my teeth extracted in '91. When I had all my rotten teeth, I had major
big time dental headaches. I took 3 adult size aspirins every night
for at least 10 years. After, I started wearing dentures. These
dental headaches quickly dissappeared. I had virtually no problems or
dental headaches for at least 10 years. But, lately these dental
headaches have developed.

Finally, I went to a dentist about this problem. He refused to do
anything about it because he said it was a medical problem. No teeth,
therefore no nerves, therefore no pain, therefore no problem. Yet, it
still manages to get me occasionally nauseated. So, I theorized that
my jaw must be getting inflamed from infections. That theory is not
working completely, but it seems to help.

That is the problem with conventional medicine. Nobody takes
responsibility for solving these types of unique problems. Heck,
conventional medicine even refuses to admit that I have a problem at
all.

Actually, I have a long history of problems with the left side of my
face which started with a fractured cheek bone and the medical
treatment to cure it. The left side of my face ended up totally numb
for approximately 10 years. Somehow, over time the numbness went away
and now it feels totally normal.

Again, a few years back I had a thyroid problem again only on the left
side of my face. That feeling was totally different from this feeling.
Again, I did absolutely nothing about it for 2 or 3 months. Finally I
went to the doctor. She diagnosed it as a thyroid problem. And, she
screwed me on a bunch of unnecessary blood tests. I self medicated
with vitamins and the thyroid problem self-corrected within one month.

I will probably have problems with the left side of my face until I
die, Jack. What is your problem? Got a bug up your ****?

Steven Bornfeld wrote:

> Of course, if the condition has completely resolved, it may well be
> more difficult to determine the cause of your recent attack.

Yes, as of this morning the problem appears to be have completely
resolved. And, I do not see how 'Patient First' or any HMO in the
country would take my complaints seriously at this point.

montygram wrote:

> It's the arachidonic acid and the dietary PUFAs in general. They cause
> these kinds of "stones," and then the inflammation is enhanced greatly.
> But nobody can tell this individual much, because he thinks he is some
> sort of "nature boy," and that he has all the answers. I'm surprised
> he didn't claim that the Pepsi cured him.

Call me crazy Monty, but what I am supremely confident about is the
fact that dietary PUFAs in general had absolutely nothing to do with my
problem. :)

By the way, Pepsi makes a great laxative. It might actually cure your
bug-up-the-**** problem.

Just thought that you might want to know, that you must be really
desperate to try to make a PUFA connection.

You have my condolences.

Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
> Steven Bornfeld wrote:
>

>> Of course, if the condition has completely resolved, it may well be
>>more difficult to determine the cause of your recent attack.

> Yes, as of this morning the problem appears to be have completely
> resolved. And, I do not see how 'Patient First' or any HMO in the
> country would take my complaints seriously at this point.

Considering your symptoms are typical for a real, identifiable and
rather common condition, I don't know why you would say this, unless it
is a comment on your perception of the quality of the HMOs in question.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:

> Considering your symptoms are typical for a real, identifiable and
> rather common condition, I don't know why you would say this, unless it
> is a comment on your perception of the quality of the HMOs in question.
> --
> Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
> http://www.dentaltwins.com
> Brooklyn, NY
> 718-258-5001

Since, you appear to be a dentist can you be a little bit more
specific? What do you call this common condition? What is the usual
course of treatment? What kind of a doctor does the treatment?

The dentist that I had talked too sure was not very helpful.

Mr-Natural-Health wrote:

> Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:
>

>> Considering your symptoms are typical for a real, identifiable and
>>rather common condition, I don't know why you would say this, unless it
>>is a comment on your perception of the quality of the HMOs in question.
>>--
>>Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
>>http://www.dentaltwins.com
>>Brooklyn, NY
>>718-258-5001

> Since, you appear to be a dentist can you be a little bit more
> specific? What do you call this common condition? What is the usual
> course of treatment? What kind of a doctor does the treatment?
>
> The dentist that I had talked too sure was not very helpful.

Again the standard disclaimer: I haven't examined you, this is just a
speculation based upon your description of the symptoms.
I believe the most likely diagnosis is sialadenitis, perhaps combined
with sialolithiasis (salivary stones). The treatment depends upon the
cause. If it is a stone, standard treatment is removal, which may
require canulization or surgery. Oral surgeons do this commonly.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Steven Bornfeld wrote:

> If I were a betting man, I'd guess that you
> have a sialadenitis of the parotid gland. This may be caused by a stone
> in the duct, and if so it is likely that the pain and swelling will recur.

We were basically both right on this issue. :)

Vitamin C did the trick.

I had the right cure, but specified the wrong reason. Saliva excretion
is stimulated by ascorbic acid and that is what apparently did the
trick.

I found out a few interesting things.

#1 Saliva excretion is stimulated by ascorbic acid.

#2 Impaired salivary flow is a common, chronic, autoimmune,
inflammatory connective tissue disease, that is similar to autoimmune
thyroiditis. (Autoimmune thyroiditis could be what I have, or was
recently suffering from?)
http://www.nuclearmedicinecomm.com/pt/re/nucmedcomm/abstract.00006231-200210000-00014.htm;jsessionid=D5wYfaCMd2x758GeomlB5dQqr0VAUnV2FZgpsr1U8kfGo6b10G8B!-1094538453!-949856144!9001!-1

Nonneoplastic disorders of the parotid gland.
Neonatal submandibular sialadenitis. Am J Otolaryngol. 1980
May;1(3):261-263.
.... Treatment with essential fatty acids and vitamin C. Med Hypotheses.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1010775&blobtype=pdf
--
john gohde

Here's an obcure one that is on point. Note that vitamin C could help,
but nobody knows (lack of specifc studies), and there appears to be a
very easy way of avoiding these problems in the first place. Ingesting
more than trace amounts of PUFAs, however, appears to be at least one
way to cause them:

Patol Fiziol Eksp Ter. 1991 Jul-Aug;(4):48-50.

[The mechanisms of disordered oxidative metabolism at different
stages of acute experimental inflammation of the salivary glands]

[Article in Russian]

Rozenblats AV, Volozhin AI.

Acute purulent sialadenitis was modelled in experiments on rabbits
by injecting Staphylococcus aureus. Follow-up of the development of
inflammation showed an intimate relation between changes of the level
of gland oxygenation and the values characterizing tissue respiration,
carbohydrate metabolism, and lipid peroxidation.

Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
> Steven Bornfeld wrote:
>

>> Of course, if the condition has completely resolved, it may well be
>>more difficult to determine the cause of your recent attack.

> Yes, as of this morning the problem appears to be have completely
> resolved. And, I do not see how 'Patient First' or any HMO in the
> country would take my complaints seriously at this point.

They might take you seriously if it's the first time they ever meet you.

Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
> Steven Bornfeld wrote:
>

>>If I were a betting man, I'd guess that you
>>have a sialadenitis of the parotid gland. This may be caused by a stone
>>in the duct, and if so it is likely that the pain and swelling will recur.

> We were basically both right on this issue. :)
>
> Vitamin C did the trick.
>
> I had the right cure, but specified the wrong reason. Saliva excretion
> is stimulated by ascorbic acid and that is what apparently did the
> trick.
>
> I found out a few interesting things.
>
> #1 Saliva excretion is stimulated by ascorbic acid.
>
> #2 Impaired salivary flow is a common, chronic, autoimmune,
> inflammatory connective tissue disease, that is similar to autoimmune
> thyroiditis. (Autoimmune thyroiditis could be what I have, or was
> recently suffering from?)
> http://www.nuclearmedicinecomm.com/pt/re/nucmedcomm/abstract.00006231-200210000-00014.htm;jsessionid=D5wYfaCMd2x758GeomlB5dQqr0VAUnV2FZgpsr1U8kfGo6b10G8B!-1094538453!-949856144!9001!-1
>
> Nonneoplastic disorders of the parotid gland.
> Neonatal submandibular sialadenitis. Am J Otolaryngol. 1980
> May;1(3):261-263.
> ... Treatment with essential fatty acids and vitamin C. Med Hypotheses.
> http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1010775&blobtype=pdf
> --
> john gohde

Couple of points:

1) Impaired salivary flow can have many causes. One is Sjogren's
syndrome which is considered autoimmune. I have no reason to believe
that this is your problem. It is characterized by (among other things)
a PAINLESS enlargement of the parotid glands. This has no relationship
to a garden variety parotitis (with or without stones)
2) It is properly called salivary SECRETION, not EXCRETION--we are not
dealing with a waste product here.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
> I do not know precisely what I was suffering from, but I woke up Friday
> morning with what felt like an infected Jaw/cheek. My left jaw, just
> below my ear lobe, in a fleshy part of the skin, I could obviously feel
> a lumpy mass of inflamed flesh. It was painful to eat food.
>
> I did not do anything to treat the problem on Friday. On Saturday, I
> took it more seriously and decided that the problem must be due to an
> infection inside my mouth. So, I started out gargling with H2O2.
> Nothing happened. So, I then preceded to stuff my left cheek full of
> cotton balls soaked in H2O2. Still no relief. So, by the end of
> Saturday I decided to give up on the H2O2. And, switched to vitamins.
> 20,000 IU's of vitamin A. And, 30 mg of Zinc. Plus two grams of
> vitamin C. I woke up twice Saturday night and took two more grams of
> vitamin C each time.
>
> On Sunday morning, eating applesauce and drinking a cold Pepsi was
> painful. I repeated my dosage of vitamin A and Zinc. I took two more
> grams of vitamin C. Still nothing happened. In fact, it felt like the
> infection had traveled up to my left ear. I was convinced by early
> Sunday afternoon that I would have to see a doctor on Monday. I
> repeated taking 2 grams of vitamin C a couple of more times. Then at
> approximately 6 pm on Sunday, I ate some chicken pain free. I felt
> remarkably better. My ear ache had disappeared. I again took two more
> dosages of 2 grams of vitamin C, a few hours apart.
>
> The fleshy spot below my ear lobe still feels slightly sore, but it is
> no longer painful to eat. And, what ever I had it sure managed to go
> from one extreme to the other in the space of a few hours on Sunday,
> New Year's Day 2006. And, I no longer have that feeling that an
> infection in your face/ear gives you.
>
> So, tell me scientists: What cured my inflamed jaw/cheek?
>
> I do not know for sure, but I sure as heck will try vitamin C the next
> time this problem happens again.
> --
> john gohde

It's possible the additional vitamin c was of some benefit if your
facial tissues were inflammed. Your overall nutrient status is already
a factor in your body's ability to heal itself. At the same time,
people assume that supplemental nutrients have the ability to impact
their physical structure more quickly than is normally possible. Most
illness is a direct consequence of a nutritional deficiency, but
"direct" doesn't necessarily mean "immediate." For instance, heart
disease can result from long-standing iron, vitamin c, magnesium, or
other deficiencies, however because of the synergist-antagonist
relationships of nutrients to one another, the illness usually doesn't
become symptomatic for a period of years, or at least months. Proper
treatment necessarily involves a variety of nutrients applied over a
similar period of time (though usually less than the time it took to
become chronically ill), before the disease reverses. In your case,
the body's normal recovery process was the means for relieving your
pain, however the application of vitamin therapy probably wasn't
responsible for most of your improvement in real time. The greatest
benefit to your health from the additional vitamin c and zinc will be
their effect on your overall nutrient homeostasis, reducing your chance
for future illness.

PeterB