Did You Ever Take Part In A Triathlon?

I've done a few over the years. Only springs and Olympics, never half- or full-iron-distance.

I've got a love-hate relationship with triathlon. I'm getting older and have responsibilities with work and raising a family. I just don't seem to have the time it takes to train like I used to.

Actually no. Mainly because I don't think I would be able to make it until the end. Triathlon requires some serious exercise and resistance. It's probably one of the hardest "sports".

Honestly no, I HATE competitions. I cycle for leisure and a bit of exercise, but to perform in front of a live crowd and compete with other people, that's one thing I can live without. I've always had stage fright; that includes public speaking, public contests, races, and everything in between. I really admire those who enter though. It's like they prepared for this and spent months of their lives training just to get the chance to win. I can't do that sadly.

I'm thinking of participating in one as a goal but honestly I don't think it's a realistic one anytime soon. The amount of preparation and time some people put into this make it seem as rather than a hobby it becomes something more resembling of a full-time job.

My first triathlon was in 2013, and it was really arduous. I only completed a sprint triathlon, and it still pushed me to my limits. One of the most important thing is to practice swimming in a real lake to get used to the waves and wake that occurs from other swimmers. If at all possible, get yourself a wet suit to keep yourself warm in the cold water.

I am not that competitive although I sometimes watch events like that on tv. In fact, one actor named Matteo Guidicelli is an avid participant in triathlons. My body is not that sturdy anymore to endure the running, swimming and biking. Besides, I may be too old for that and my body may absorb the pain and stay there. Even for the younger generation, I don't recommend the triathlon for it is like punishing the body.

While in the past I've always fancied taking part in a triathlon, I never really had the chance to.

I liked to think that I was fairly competent at least in all three activities in the triathlon, so maybe if I'd have actively seeked the competition I might have done ok in them.

No, I have never been on one. My goal is to compete in one soon.

If your goal is to compete in one, then I hope that your taking part in a specific training routine, because while they look like they might not be that difficult, I can assure you that they are.

The training needs to be cardio based more than anything as the three activities really do take it out of your core fitness, and while leg strength is obviously important, overall fitness needs to be worked on aswell.

No but I'd love to! Swimming is another thing that I like, maybe even more that cycling. I like swimming both in the open water and pool. But I have my doubts about running. I'm not sure I'll make it, it's definitely not my favorite activity. But still you need to prepare a lot for that and have a right training.

I have actually not, but I would love to! I've seen many triathlons, and my idea of them are that they are very hard, so I'm kind of scared to try them. Does anyone think it's suitable for everyone with enough practice? Or do I need to train hardcore to complete one?

I've never done one but I would love to try it eventually! I'm no where near ready at the moment though, so it would be a long time before I was at the point where I'd actually enter one. I would want to make sure I was completely ready because if I tried doing it and couldn't finish, I would be pretty crushed.

I did my first one this summer.
It was fantastic! I didn't do it to win just to finish. Remember, not all are 70.3 or 140.6. Some are smaller.
I can't wait until next year to do more.

I did my first tri (Sprint of 1/4 mi swim, 30k ride, 5k run) this summer on short notice with maybe eight weeks of training time. I signed up because it was more of a "I bet you won't..." sort of thing with my wife (who needed to be proven wrong) than something I had really anticipated doing. It was the most fun I've ever had in my life!

I'm not built like an endurance athlete (5'9, 185) and I didn't train as well as I should have, so I had an uphill battle. But I set a goal of a sub- two hr time (I picked two hours because I knew a few people who had done sprints in approximately that time and figured I could hang with or beat them) and ended up crossing the finish at 1:57:41.

The swim was without a doubt the most difficult part. A quarter mile doesn't look that far, but when you're an inexperienced swimmer and you're swimming in traffic, in a lake, for the first time, it SUCKS. I thought I was going to die, and that thinking messed with my T1 time. Experience really is the best teacher, because the next tri I do will have about two mins cut out of my first transition.

There are a lot of different options for first time triathletes or for those interested in expanding into endurance competitions (shorter distances, duathlons, etc), so if you think it's something you want to do, SIGN UP AND DO IT. Life is too short to be left wondering if you could or not. I'm hooked, and can't wait for next Spring/Summer.

First post... woo hoo.

I've honestly thought about entering one, but I have yet to do so. I would love to.

I would also love to join a triathlon contest. I am a good swimmer and skilled cyclist. But the only problem is I don't know how to swim. That is why I'm just contained on watching such events. But one day I will join. I just enrolled my self on a swimming camp last week, and I'm looking forward to compete in a triathlon event soon.

I planned to join one when I was younger, but for some reason I always backed out, maybe because I wasn't that good of a swimmer. Now I'm kinda out of shape and only started biking again recently, so I might work hard and try to finally join a triathlon this year or the next.

I planned to join one when I was younger, but for some reason I always backed out, maybe because I wasn't that good of a swimmer. Now I'm kinda out of shape and only started biking again recently, so I might work hard and try to finally join a triathlon this year or the next.

Hahaha. I feel you. I am a good runner and biker but when it comes to swimming I doubt myself. Swimming is the first part of the race, I might ended up left alone by other participants because I can't swim fast. Or even being drowned at the middle of the race.