Did You Ride Today?

I bundled up and boke out the MTB. Hard to remember how to use the quick fires. Cycling has been a coping mechanism with me. I am good Bob but my brother called me Saturday morning and asked if I would take him to the ER. He went into full cardiac arrest about a half mile from the hospital. He didn't make it. Hard thing to watch.

Reactions: CAMPYBOB and steve
Damn. I can not even imagine what you've been through. My sincere condolences, JH. All I can say is God bless you and your family. Prayers will be said tonight.

It got up to 54 degrees here today, but the melt off is no where near complete. Minor snow and rain are predicted for later this week along with falling temperatures and then a warming trend. Weird weather!

Another 1-1/2 hours on Zwift's Richmond U.C.I. Course. I managed 3 laps of it before I called it a ride. The course was really crowded and that helped the time pass. A fun workout, for sure.

Reactions: jhuskey
You OK, JH?

Calling hours this afternoon for an old friend. He lived a long life and was good right to the end at 91. I'll miss him.

Temperature was 47 degrees before dawn and dropped all day with cold rain, ice and some snow flurries. The wind was 14 to 22 MPH with gusts over 30 MPH.

I hit the trainer for 1-1/2 hours again. This time it was Zwift's Greatest London Loop with the Leith Hill climb. My old team mate was once again on the prowl, but we did not run into each other on the course. I felt good and rode well. Legs are holding up to the abuse of daily workouts and I'm having fun.

I am ok. Got hit with a bunch of **** at work but will handle it. Saying goodby today to my brother.
I did one toughest stages, pre-programed on my trainer, yesterday. Turned 164 watts. I had to stand half of the time just to turn the crank. I am taking off the rest of the week after today.

Reactions: CAMPYBOB
28 degrees, overcast and light snow flurries all day. Maybe a 1/2" of accumulation. Winds steady at 7 MPH.

I did 1 hour and 40 minutes on Zwift riding the London Triple Loop that took me over the virtual Leith Hill and virtual Box Hill for 27 virtual miles and 28 Garmin miles.

I just held a steady tempo for most of the ride and mixed it up a few times before the climbs, in between the climbs and on the way to the finish. Got to mix things up and try Keith Hill and Fox Hill tomorrow. I have done either climb from the backsides yet so it should be fresh terrain.

Got virtually rained on twice this afternoon. Typical virtual London weather, I guess.

30 degrees and partly sunny to overcast today with the wind going 7 to 10 MPH. The roads are still wet with running water and melting snow and the road grit is still a thick coating on most of the county chip & seal roads I normally ride.

I hit the trainer for two solid hours of endurance riding with just a 17 MPH average speed. Easy Peasy. Covered the London 8 Loop Course on Zwift twice with two climbs over Fox Hill, then I did the Greater London Flat Course. Maybe 1500' of virtual climbing and 29 virtual miles and 32 Garmin miles. A fun ride and I was throwing out Ride On!'s like candy.

There a new program out in Beta testing called VirtuGo. I signed up to see how this one is. The graphics look good from the demo I saw D.C. Rainmaker taking at the Tour Down Under.

It's been 19 days since I tore up my elbow and bicep on my left arm. it's a slow process and I've still got a ways to go to get my strength back to normal, but I just couldn't take being off the bike for the last 21 days. Put my brace on and went to play in the woods for several hours. It was a good pain and really helped my mood improve.
Besides Pain is Delicious !
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccfhpX9mGJg

Post for Friday's trainer session:

50 degrees and sunny. Too bad the roads are trashed. Water everywhere and rain moving in tomorrow.

1 hour and 45 minutes on Zwift. Totally bored me, knowing the temperature was as warm outside as it is in my basement training area. Just a medium tempo effort with some fast ramp ups to speed. Tried to hang with some big dogs, but the track bike ain't the tool for that. Ended up getting a lot of Ride On!'s for some reason.

Fun workout and I'll probably be back on the trainer tomorrow if the weather forecast is correct.

Wishing you a fast recovery, Zipp! Great video and I hope you enjoyed your ride!

44 degrees today, but a cold rain fell all day so I hit the trainer for a long ride.

65 Zwift miles for 25 laps of the Volcano Circuit and 59 Garmin miles. We'll call it 'close' to a metric century on a trainer. First time I attempted anything like that. Just a steady tempo with some fast, but short, blasts with other riders. I saw a couple guys with over 100 miles in and still riding. One guy had 130 miles finished and was still going strong.

3-1/2 hours of fun, one energy gel, a few gummy worms and one bottle of water.

48 degrees and sunny. The wind a mild 3 to 5 MPH.

I went out and did a short road ride...with 'Track Bike Legs Syndrome'. It felt great to be outside after 5 weeks of indoor work. Just a short 13-mile ride with 300' of climbing on mostly dry roads that are covered in grit.

No big efforts, just feeling the wind in my face and the sun on the black clothing also felt fantastic! No, it isn't the end of Winter by a long shot. IOt sure was a blessing though!

Now, down to the basement I go for a little hammer time on the trainer.

A little better than an hour riding Watopia's Road To Ruins. A decent effort. The road ride must have ironed out yesterday's long ride.

The power flowed, the legs spun easily and I found myself blasting past a lot of riders easily. Only 2100 riders on Watopia...the weather must be improving and folks want outside on the weekend. Who can blame them?

Very sorry to hear about what your going through @jhuskey :(

I got caught up in a crash in a criterium 8 days ago, so I've gone from doing between 500 to 800km a week to zero.

I ended up breaking a bone in my right arm (Ulna - runs from the elbow to the “pinkie” side of the wrist) and completely shattering my right elbow. The operation to fix it took about 2 and half hours and included removing a lot of bone fragments, doing a bone graft, screwing back bits that were OK (5 screws) and 2 plates were also used. The surgeon said the operation went well, except that it was a lot worse than the x-rays and CT scans showed. I spent a fair chunk of last week in the hospital.

The nature of the injury also means my arm movement will be compromised for the rest of my life. I won't be able to straighten it and it will always feel stiff. So that’s a bit ****.

I'm allowed to get on the indoor trainer at the end of this week and I'm counting down the days :D

Reactions: jhuskey
Steve, sorry to hear that! Damn! Prayers sent for a fast recovery and I hope the doc's are wrong about your arm's loss of range of motion! I had Polio in my right leg, lots of surgeries and the docs told my parents I would be in a wheelchair before I hit 50. I'm 64 and giving the Hell on Zwift. OK, it's just a little bit of Hell, but it goes to show you that with a little luck and a lot of determination you can prove them wrong!

If you aren't already on Zwift...GET ON IT! You'll probably be on a trainer for a couple three months and Zwift is the only way to rid yourself of trainer Hell...boredom. By an SBR Rocking plate or a CoPlate from the Netherlands or a Kurt Kinetic Rock & Roll Smart Control trainer. Rocking is SO MUCH more comfortable than a fixed mount trainer.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance to you.

25 degrees, cold afternoon rain followed by freezing rain followed by a little snow. Wind going 9 to 16 MPH.

I ducked into Zwift for 1 and 1/2 hour worth of riding around London. Climbed Leith Hill. Jumped onto a few trains and generally had a blast riding with folks. 2100 riders in the game.

Steve, forgot to mention this and you probably are already aware...Oz has a new competitor to Zwift in the Beta testing stage: VirtuGo.com

The afternoon high was 16 degrees with the wind running 12 to 13 MPH. The sky was a little clear and sunny after the inch of snow we got overnight and this morning. Light flurries hung around all day and the road are, once again, FUBAR.

A little over 2 hours on Zwift doing the Greater London Loop twice in the reverse direction. Two times up Fox Hill and then I road up Keith Hill.

30 or so Zwift miles and 34 Garmin miles. 1900' of virtual climbing with 3200 riders in the game. London roads were noticeably crowded with cyclists in an almost constant stream. Even as I was flying down Box hill I was amazed at the steady stream of riders climbing it in groups and pace lines.

40 degrees and overcast today with the snow melting and the roads wet. The wind was up at 15 to 22 MPH with gusts to 37 MPH.

I hit the trainer for 1-1/2 hours and rode Zwift's Road To Ruins Course and a lap of Watopia. I started out slow and after returning to Watopia everyone wanted to get it on so I obliged and enjoyed the company of many other riders.

I hope my legs recover though. The last 10 miles was not race pace, but it was a boogie ride with guys wanting to mix it up. Fun effort, for sure!

31 degrees, overcast with light mist on and off all day. Never enough to soak things, but enough to keep it damp. The wind howled at 14 to 16 MPH steady with gusts around 25 MPH.

I hit the trainer for a 1-1/2 session and rolled 30 miles in Zwift and 28 miles on the Garmin. Watopia's Hilly Route for a couple laps, the Flat Route for a couple laps, the Volcano Circuit and a little free riding.

I linked up with one of my old team mates for about 10 miles! That was fast and fun! The gal that was hanging with us for about 5 miles was either his wife or a gal that was the Ohio State ITT champion a few years back...not sure which yet. I was feeling a little better after the first 10 miles on the Hilly Circuit. My legs are beat from all the track bike miles I'm putting into them. With luck I'll roll into Spring in decent condition.

11 degrees this morning with a high of 17. Light snow flurries all day with the wind at 8 to 14 MPH.

I hit the trainer for 2-1/2 hours. Zwift and I was all over Watopia. Something like 47 Zwift miles and 44 Garmin miles with lots of climbing and the first half of the ride spent drag racing everybody I could.

It was another long, hard trainer session and my body is holding up pretty well to it so far. This is new territory to me as I've never been on a trainer this much before. It's 'almost' fun with Zwift and the Rock & Roll. Still getting off the trainer feeling great. Thanks, Kurt Kinetic!