Did You Ride Today?

Jh...I was thinking about you this afternoon. Right after a dog took three flying leaps and slammed into my right calf and the downtube of the Wilier.

I have no idea how I kept the bike up, but I did. It wasn't skill...just luck of the draw.

The impact from the little (25-30 pounds?) mutt knocked me about a bike width to the left and then the ***** decided to chase me. It took two swings, but the second time my fist went around I cold cocked her (Abbigale was her name IIRC) right on her snarling schnoz. That sent her running back into her yard.

Her owner, a good looking gal about 25-30 years old was immediately apologetic. There were three young kids in the front yard, so no hammering the gal with how I really felt. I explained a few things to her and went on my way.

1/2-mile later I ran into a neighbor in her stalled 1956 Dodge V-8. It wouldn't re-start...sounded like no gas. She called her grandson up and he brought a can of gas and the old restored Dodge fired right up after a squirt down the 1-barrel carb. She just had the gas tank repaired and I'm guessing crud in the line plugged it. We also found a small gas leak near the fuel pump. Doubt if it was vapor locked, so I'm going with a combination of plugged gas line (had $20 worth of gas in the tank) and low fuel pump pressure. She got it home...saw it in the driveway after I got back to the truck and headed home.

Only 18 miles with 475' of light rolling climbs. Still at a good pace considering I was trying to do an easy tempo and recover...with the high heart rate probably the spike when fido T-boned me.

An eventful ride, to say the least.

Reactions: rm57
My ride today was solid. I had a great time going through my neighborhood. Despite the strong Summer heat, I made it. It felt nice to meet a few friends along the way.

Half day Friday and a long holiday weekend so let's start it off right. Went out and did 44 miles with a ton of climbing thrown in. Add in a killer wind at times and it's a great way to get this long weekend started. Have a safe Memorial Day Weekend everyone.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7X9ymQ7i80

Reactions: rm57 and CAMPYBOB
Only had time for 23 miles after all the work needed to be done today.

It was a beautiful day! 85 degrees and sunny with the wind at 6 to 8 MPH.

675' of vertical over an easy, rolling loop.

Tomorrow will be equally busy and rain is in the forecast for the afternoon.

Wasted the morning sweating in the humidity and sunshine...working on fences and mowing. And mowing. And mowing some more.

While mow, light rain hit twice. Just hard enough to get me to take a break and put the wet tractor in the garage for 10 minutes. Then the sun would come back out and I would go out and mow and sweat some more.

I finally finished just in time for thunders, black clouds and heavy rain to hit. I had barely got the deck hosed out and the tractor washed when the first drops hit.

There went that outside ride! I had bottles on the bike and all my gear ready to throw in the truck!

So, the trainer and Zwift for a solid 1-1/2 hour workout. It's 69 degrees in the basement and the humidity is low, but even with FIVE fans running on high I was toweling off my face a lot. It's way to warm for indoor riding!

Still, a killer workout. Only 690-715 riders in the game.

I have ridden Sims Rd. on Memorial weekend for as far back as I can recall. Just got back. I usually encounter The Smoky Mtn Rolling Thunder motor cycle ride. It is a tribute ride. I just missed them today. We just dismounted when I heard them approaching.You would not believe the headwind those bikes create. Had to wait until they passed through to cross the road. Not sure how many hundred riders participate but quite a sight.

Legs dead!

85 degrees, hot, humid and sunny after heavy rain and flood warnings last night. Roads didn't dry of until about 1 PM. Wind was only 3 to 6 MPH.

30 easy miles with 1100' of climbing. The heat felt great even if the legs were on vacation in the South of Italy.

70 degrees when I threw a leg over at 8 AM and 90-93 degrees for the last two hours of the ride. Sunny and the wind a mile 3 to 8 MPH.

68 miles over lightly rolling terrain with a couple of nasty walls thrown in for fun. 3025' of climbing on the course.

Yeah, I got a little too much sun. Yeah, I sweated like a pig. And Yeah, all of it felt good.

The legs still haven't come around full yet, but at least the time on the bike was not slow and painful. The climbing felt good and I bucked the light breeze without too much effort.

86 degrees, hot and sunny again today! Perfect! Let's ride! Humidity up a little and the wind running a stead 12 to 13 MPH.

I headed out for a quick 19-mile loop with 700' of climbing and found out it took the legs 7 miles to fully get with the program. After that, they spun up easily and I was even banging into the bigger gears with the tailwind or slight downgrade.

The heat of yesterday's miles was still in them!

This was a fun ride and there was almost zero traffic. No one seemed to be interested in working or playing outside except me. I sweat a lot, again and once again it felt great!

85 degrees, sunny for most of the day and the humidity was up. The wind was nutz this afternoon, running 18 to 23 MPH with gusts to 29 MPH as a thunderstorm cell approached and dumped a little rain.

I hit the trainer for an hour and a half of fast fun. Only 1050-1150 riders in the game, but there were some fast cats to blast around London with.

That was harder than most of my road workouts. I had the track bike flying and every little hill was a test to hold 90-95 RPM to the top as I passed riders in my sweet spot power zone. Don't worry...they crush me on the flats and big climbs!

Five fans roaring on me and the basement temp was 73 degrees when I climbed off. Too damned warm! I drank a bottle of water and ate three gummy worms...poor man's Shot Bloks!

It was a fun ride despite being forced indoors by the rain. More rain tonight and tomorrow and we just had the last flooded road in the county finally re-open yesterday.

83 degrees, hot and very humid as the sun beat down. The wind was a steady 13 MPH.

Overnight rain, last night. Some morning and afternoon rain out on the farm, but none in town. Only some drying puddles left in the potholes, so I saddled up.

I knew it would be a short ride as radar and the clouds both said rain was headed this way. Turns out both were wrong. The sun is still out at 8 PM!

Only 18 miles on a 500' worth of light climbing lightly rolling loop. My legs took a few miles to come alive after yesterday's Zwift ass kicking, but the lit up and I cruised around the course in good time.

Rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow. We'll see about that!

75 degrees and overcast with the wind at 7 to 9 MPH.

Did a short 12-mile sprint right before the first of the afternoon and evening rains. Only 400' of climbing on a lightly rolling loop.

The rain came in about 1/2-hour after I packed it in. Just got out of the shower and it was a steady soaking rain. That stopped and started over the next 6 hours and at times was so hard I couldn't see 100 feet.

After dark the fog started to move in.

Got out for a tough 26 miles dodging dark clouds throughout the ride. I should have waited to ride a little later because I was feeling the effects of a big breakfast. The first and third Saturday of every month a bunch of us guys get together for breakfast. I ate to much and went out about a half hour after eating to make sure I didn't get caught in a T-storm that was projected for the afternoon. Felt breakfast the whole ride and was feeling like a rock on the climbs.

Don't know about other parts of the country but we here in New England have had a lot of rainy days this spring.

Reactions: CAMPYBOB
I was up early waiting for daylight. I like riding at first light because there is almost no traffic, and on Sunday it is NO traffic. I did 29 miles at 85ft/mi which is moderately hilly for me. Tomorrow plan on another 30 but flatter. My car with the bike rack has been in the shop for a few weeks, so all my rides have been from home. Will be looking to expand my horizons a bit and reaching out once I get it back, should be son. It's all in the numbers and I'm 100mi ahead of last year, but you never know what might come up to throw me off track.

Reactions: CAMPYBOB
75 degrees and anything from sunny to dark clouds looking like rain all day. Wind was running a steady 7 to 9 MPH. After a humid and overcast morning it started drying off around noon.

After 8 hours on the tractor I changed into riding gear and threw a leg over for a short 23-mile hilly loop with 1250' feet of climbing. The numbers looked darn good after all the work that started at 9 AM and finally ended at 6 PM!

The climbing legs showed up and the heart rate was buried repeatedly. Felt great to be out in the hills of Ohio and enjoying the evening on the road!

79 degrees and a sunny morning with the wind up at 12 to 22 MPH. Wind gusts to 29 MPH. The humidity was also up as afternoon rain was on the menu.

I hit the bricks with only an hour on the forecast before rain was to start. The rain beat the forecast by 5 minutes!

Only 15 miles before the rain started hitting me and I had a mile to go to get back to the truck. Running into a 25 MPH headwind, I made it just in time for the rain to STOP!

Roads were wet so I gave up and loaded the bike up and headed back to the farm. Pulled in the driveway just in time for it to start pounding down the rain in waves. Put the bike in the garage and detail cleaned it and then the chain got a fresh supply of dry lube.

The sun came back out again, but the radar shows another line of showers moving in fast.

70 degrees and sunny today with the wind ripping through! Windfinder said 12 MPH with gusts to 21 MPH. It felt more like 15 to 20 MPH steady with gusts around 25 MPH. No matter what the real local wind speed was, it hurt!

Only 23 miles with 1200' of moderate to steep climbing.

Spun like crazy and still was 1 MPH slower than a good average time for this course. Worked hard, but I tried to stay out of the red. That worked, but that's what also cost me a couple minutes going out and more going back.

A fun ride with no threat of rain! Rain in the forecast for tomorrow morning into the early afternoon.

70 degrees and rain drops hit just as soon as I got the bike loaded in the car and all my gear ready. ****! The rain was only two minutes early though. That was the third shower of the afternoon and the forecast was spot on the monet all three times.

Windy again at 13 To 17 MPH steady with gusts to 24 MPH.

I hit the train for 1 hour and 36 minutes. I must have been going pretty good up and then down into the Jungle and right back up out of the hole I screamed. The track bike was rocking on the Kurt Kinetic Rock & Roll trainer and no one passed me on the climb out of the Jungle and back onto Watopia!

Not only was I killing it and drilling it, I was rewarded with a new high FTP for my effort.

Zwift was updated recently and the graphics team crammed a bunch more detail into the scenery. Only 1150-1300 riders in the game, but it sure beats not riding on a rainy afternoon and no bike cleanup afterwards!