@Diet in a turmoil.

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by GS, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. GS

    GS Guest

    I have had bypass surgery twice and have become Type II Diabetic
    over the last few years. I am 56 years old, 6 feet tall and weigh
    230 pounds. For the heart disease I am to eat a low fat diet.
    For diabetes I am to eat a low carb diet. That doesn't seem to leave
    much at all. Anyone else in this situation? Can someone tell me where
    the balance is? I am totally confused and my health is going downhill
    fast. I need help.

    Tags:

  2. GS@nowhere.com (GS) wrote in message news:<vjfujnqf9k7if6@corp.supernews.com>...
    > I have had bypass surgery twice and have become Type II Diabetic
    > over the last few years. I am 56 years old, 6 feet tall and weigh
    > 230 pounds. For the heart disease I am to eat a low fat diet.
    > For diabetes I am to eat a low carb diet. That doesn't seem to leave
    > much at all. Anyone else in this situation? Can someone tell me where
    > the balance is? I am totally confused and my health is going downhill
    > fast. I need help.

    The bottomline is you need to lose weight.

    Would suggest you ask your doctor about the 2 pound diet approach
    which I describe at:

    http://www.heartmdphd.com/wtloss.asp

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  3. GS

    GS Guest

    In article <b06e736a.0308120800.3539f3c3@posting.google.com>, Brad@sheppardsoftware.com (Brad Sheppard) wrote:

    So, what is your diet Brad?

    >Low fat diets are not superior, see
    >http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html Low carb diets
    >are not healthy, either. If you're ready for drastic change, you
    >could try my diet. I'm also diabetic, but now my fasting glucose is
    >83, trig 66, chol 155, hdl 68, ratio 2.3, CRP .11 - my only medicine
    >is Lipitor, 10 mg.
    >
    >GS@nowhere.com (GS) wrote in message
    >> I have had bypass surgery twice and have become Type II Diabetic
    >> over the last few years. I am 56 years old, 6 feet tall and weigh
    >> 230 pounds. For the heart disease I am to eat a low fat diet.
    >> For diabetes I am to eat a low carb diet. That doesn't seem to leave
    >> much at all. Anyone else in this situation? Can someone tell me where
    >> the balance is? I am totally confused and my health is going downhill
    >> fast. I need help.

  4. There are two parts to the Equality Diet Plan - the part most
    important to you is the nutritional part. It is basically the foods
    recommended by the Harvard School of Public Health - the link I sent
    you. In a nutshell - eat good carbs, good fats, and good proteins.
    Good carbs - whole grains, fruits, and veggies - but no white
    potatoes. Good fats - unsaturated - olive oil, fats in fish, fats in
    nuts, for example. Avoid saturated fats and trans fats. Good proteins
    - fish, nuts, beans - avoid red meat - if you eat red meat make it
    lean. Important - each meal should have a low glycemic load. Measure
    your blood sugar 1 hour after each meal. Goal: to avoid increasing
    your blood sugar. Exercise as much as your doc will let you up to two
    hours/day.

    Equality diet plan has a simple premise - each meal has
    300 calories. Instead of counting calories, which is a pain, I only
    have to count meals. I'm allowed as many meals per day as I want, but
    I'd like to limit them to 8 (2,400 calories). For me this should
    equal one pound a week weight loss, since I burn 900 calories a day
    exercising. I no longer eat meals and snacks, now everytime I eat I
    call it a "meal." Thus there is no breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
    Instead it's meals one thru eight.Besides the 300 calorie rule, I also
    have a two-hour rule. After eating a meal, I must wait at least 2
    hours before the next meal. Why many equal calorie meals? To
    maintain a level blood sugar. Spikes in blood sugar cause hunger when
    blood sugar then crashes. Also, high blood sugar is a known cause of
    inflamation - a suspected cause of heart disease and auto-immune
    diseases. I want to keep my "furnace" burning on an even keel all day.
    As far as the foods I eat I'm cutting out bananas and dark
    cherries(high GI index) and adding V8 juice (salt free - 35 calories).
    Goals: fruitservings 8 or more, veg servings 4 or more, nut servings
    4 or more,alcohol servings 1 or 2, dairy servings 2 or more, green tea
    cups - 8
    or more, fiber grams - 60 or more, oily fish serving 1 or more.
    Exercise, 900 calories or more. One day of my equality diet:Day 3
    equality diet 8/09 Sat
    Meal 1 300c 5.15 am one pound frozen strawberries + one cup lite
    yogurt + .2 oz nuts
    Meal 2 600c 7.30 am 1.25 oz peanuts + 3 Fiber Rye crispbreads
    Meal 3 900c 9.30 am 1. oz walnuts + 3 Fiber Rye crispbreads + V8
    juice
    Meal 4 1200c 12.00 am turkey burger + 3 Fiber Rye crispbreads
    Meal 5 1500c 2.30 pm 1 oz walnuts + 3 Fiber Rye crispbreads + V8
    juice
    Meal 6 1800c 4.30 pm 1 oz walnuts + 3 Fiber Rye crispbreads + V8
    juice
    Meal 7 2100c 6.30 pm 1 lb blueberries + one cup lite yogurt
    Meal8 2400c 8.30 pm 3 oz herring + 1 lite yogurt + V8 juice

    calories 2,400
    fat 31%
    carbs 44%
    protein 25%
    alcohol 0%

    fruit servings 8
    veg servings 6
    dairy servings 3
    whole grain servings 5
    nut servings 5
    oily fish servings 1
    green tea servings 12
    alcohol servings 0
    fiber grams 66

    exercise
    400 calories aerobics 2 miles treadmill, 2 miles eliptical trainer

    GS@nowhere.com (GS) wrote in message news:<vjimpksmsnrf7a@corp.supernews.com>...
    > In article <b06e736a.0308120800.3539f3c3@posting.google.com>, Brad@sheppardsoftware.com (Brad Sheppard) wrote:
    >
    > So, what is your diet Brad?
    >
    > >Low fat diets are not superior, see
    > >http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html Low carb diets
    > >are not healthy, either. If you're ready for drastic change, you
    > >could try my diet. I'm also diabetic, but now my fasting glucose is
    > >83, trig 66, chol 155, hdl 68, ratio 2.3, CRP .11 - my only medicine
    > >is Lipitor, 10 mg.
    > >
    > >GS@nowhere.com (GS) wrote in message
    > >> I have had bypass surgery twice and have become Type II Diabetic
    > >> over the last few years. I am 56 years old, 6 feet tall and weigh
    > >> 230 pounds. For the heart disease I am to eat a low fat diet.
    > >> For diabetes I am to eat a low carb diet. That doesn't seem to leave
    > >> much at all. Anyone else in this situation? Can someone tell me where
    > >> the balance is? I am totally confused and my health is going downhill
    > >> fast. I need help.

Share This Page