Do I Truly Need A Cycling Coach?

shindiggermate

Jun 4, 2015
What will a cycling coach provide that I can't learn from riding with groups or internet training regiments? I ask this because I'm actually very skeptical when it comes to any sort of "physical training" coaches.

Are there really any "techniques" when it comes to riding a bike?

Yes there are techniques, there are also techniques in training, and your regimen. A coach can tailor a plan for your goals based on your current fitness levels.

every elite level athlete I know (and I know quite a few) has at least one coach, that should tell you something. Most professional athletes work with coaches, trainers and whatnot. You certainly don't need a coach to enjoy cycling, but if you would like to be competitive they are essential.

Here is the natural progression.
1. Become proficient riding by yourself.
2. Start riding with beginner groups at a bike club or bike shop. Other riders will help you learn at this point.
3. Graduate to medium and start riding organized rides of 25-50 miles.
4. Graduate to fast rides and start riding organized rides of 50-100 miles.
5. Get good enough to keep up on the fast rides and group rides where you can run in a pace line at high speed for many miles without getting dropped.
6. Join a racing club. See if you can keep up with USCF racers. Most of these clubs will have a coach or someone who functions as one. This is what I was a coach for a local cycling team.
7. Decide what you want to do from here. Unless you can devote 250-350 miles per week of training then there is not much reason to get a personal cycling coach.

I guess at the bare bones level, it really is just riding a bike as you say. But sometimes things aren't as simple as they appear. There might just be a few tricks of the trade a cycling coach would know and can make you aware of.

Expertise and personal attention to what you need to excel. They can push you in ways your friend in groups can't. They can inspire you in ways that internet just can't. A coach makes you have accountability.

Would you attempt any other high level sport without a coach? I don't think cycling should be any different.

Cycling coaches are just like personal trainers that you see on the Biggest loser they push you to your limits. You can go out and train by yourself but it hard to push yourself to your max. You have someone to answer to if you don't train hard enough or even gain too much weight. They also know the best training methods and strategies to win races. They can also help you with a better diet.

If you're new to riding a good coach can speed development along at a good pace. What you think you're doing on a bike and what you're actually doing, especially when it comes to position on the bike, is often two different things.

If you're an experienced rider a good coach is almost a great asset. Just having the second pair of eyes to check on training, call ******** when needed and provide suggestions as required is a good thing.

When I first indulged in cycling, my idea is to get someone to teach me. But before I purchased my first bike, my husband was already prepared to be my personal trainer. No, he is not a cyclist, far from it. But he made a research so he could train me. I remember the basic lesson like pumping hard for 10 rounds and taking it easy for 5 breaths then pump hard again and continue with that cycle until you lose your strength. That basic lesson is still being used by me when I start biking from a long vacation.

I find that in amateur racing one pays entry fees and for equipment and perhaps a coach.

In pro racing someone else picks up those expenses.

There is no reason to pay a coach unless you want to part with your money.

Totalarmordestine said:
Here is the natural progression.
1. Become proficient riding by yourself.
2. Start riding with beginner groups at a bike club or bike shop. Other riders will help you learn at this point.
3. Graduate to medium and start riding organized rides of 25-50 miles.
4. Graduate to fast rides and start riding organized rides of 50-100 miles.
5. Get good enough to keep up on the fast rides and group rides where you can run in a pace line at high speed for many miles without getting dropped.
6. Join a racing club. See if you can keep up with USCF racers. Most of these clubs will have a coach or someone who functions as one. This is what I was a coach for a local cycling team.
7. Decide what you want to do from here. Unless you can devote 250-350 miles per week of training then there is not much reason to get a personal cycling coach.
You should have put an application in to be the cycling coach. Now you're just not getting paid. :D

I certainly don't think so. You don't really need a coach for anything, you can do it all by yourself, trust me, I've done it.

kylerlittle said:
I certainly don't think so. You don't really need a coach for anything, you can do it all by yourself, trust me, I've done it.
I agree with you on that. However, doing it all by yourself has risks if you are not well versed in the subject matter. And training is all about your body so it's kind of foolish to tinker with it. On the other hand, you can do a research whether in books or in the internet or even friends who have ample knowledge on the topic. And when you think you already know a lot then that's the time to say that you can do it by yourself.

Corzhens said:
I agree with you on that. However, doing it all by yourself has risks if you are not well versed in the subject matter. And training is all about your body so it's kind of foolish to tinker with it. On the other hand, you can do a research whether in books or in the internet or even friends who have ample knowledge on the topic. And when you think you already know a lot then that's the time to say that you can do it by yourself.
Sure, you're right.

A casual rider won't need a coach at all. But for those that professionals or even serious about their cycling, they do need a coach. That is something that is a must in competitive cycling. Like any sport out there, there are coaches that spot things that you can't and they will help you correct them.

If you need the extra help and motivation then go for it but I don't think a coach is necessary.

Wow, I have never heard of a cycling coach. I think if you are going to be serious about racing your bike, it might be best to think about getting a cycling coach.

You can be your own coach if you want to learn about the rules. A coach helps one avoid being lazy, besides giving you the latest tips. He has to do all the research and give you the latest technics. But if you can also join free online training courses, you can also make it. You must stay focused to achieve your goals. Join cycling groups for minor competitions, and you can notice the difference.

thepieeatingjay said:
Cycling coaches are just like personal trainers that you see on the Biggest loser they push you to your limits. You can go out and train by yourself but it hard to push yourself to your max. You have someone to answer to if you don't train hard enough or even gain too much weight. They also know the best training methods and strategies to win races. They can also help you with a better diet.

Completely agree with this post. They are more of just a motivation for you to become better. You can get them, but you can also succeed by yourself.

thepieeatingjay said:

Completely agree with this post. They are more of just a motivation for you to become better. You can get them, but you can also succeed by yourself.