Do You Feel Safe On Lonely, Deserted Roads?

Dora M

Feb 20, 2015
Colombia
Whether you are cycling to get fit, to develop your cycling skills, or for leisure reasons, you always come across lonely stretches of road where there is a strange feeling in the air. When I lived in Australia, I often went for long trips in deserted places, usually feeling fine and confident as I knew the area very well. Somehow I developed a sense when it's safe to be in a certain location, and when it's best advised to get out of it as quickly as possible. There have been times when I suddenly felt a strong urge to leave a certain road and rest behind a big tree or rock out of sight from any cars passing by. I never tried to rationalize that feeling, I just did as my inner voice told me.
In Australia, and obviously all around the world, people disappear and are never heard of again, and that includes cyclists on lonely roads.
How do you feel when it suddenly hits you that you are in the middle of nowhere?

I always listen to that feeling. I don't think it has ever been entirely wrong. You may be picking up on a spiritual energy in that area, perhaps it is not as deserted as it may seem, but whoever is in that area is staying out of site of the road because what they are doing is evil.

I do not feel comfortable on deserted roads myself. There are a couple of short stretches of road where there is often no one in site, but if I use that road I move quickly so that should someone with possible ill intent be around, I am not an easy target. I think it is important to travel with a group if you are going to go out into the country where there is very little traffic and large distances between buildings. Not just because of criminals, but if you should get a flat, a bad muslce cramp, or any injury, it could be really bad if you were miles from any kind of assistance.

DancingLady said:
You may be picking up on a spiritual energy in that area, perhaps it is not as deserted as it may seem, but whoever is in that area is staying out of site of the road because what they are doing is evil.
Spiritual? :D Like a Vodka-bar or something? :D

Dogs are a menace. People dont kindnap cyclists so much. Maybe mug a few, hit and run a few, but kidnap them?
Especially not in Australia. :D
Some back-packers told me a few dodgy stuff about Albania though... :wacko:

I'm not going to start any arguments here, if you don't believe in spiritual things, you don't believe. But I do, and I can feel the presence of evil in some locations. When people are involved in evil practices or things like witchcraft, the area around them often feels very creepy, even if I do not know until later what was going on in that area or see any visual indications of it.

DancingLady said:
But I do, and I can feel the presence of evil in some locations. When people are involved in evil practices or things like witchcraft, the area around them often feels very creepy, even if I do not know until later what was going on in that area or see any visual indications of it.
Good for you! :p I usually just hear the barking and then I see the dog behind me chasing me... :D
If I ever get chased by a witch or something I might ehmmm... "Talk to somebody". :D

Do you live in a very creepy place or something? :D Because here it's palm trees for Christmas and stuff. :D

My most memorable rides were where where I was also most alone on unfamiliar routes:
  • Hours of rolling farmland.
  • Dense forested stretches in the middle of nowhere
  • Long mountain climbs
  • Through the badlands in 100 degree weather
  • Century rides in pouring rain and storms
  • Night rides with coyotes howling somewhere close by
Getting away from civilization, feeling alone and a bit vulnerable is my zen.

Reactions: gotsalukis
Volnix said:
Good for you! :p I usually just hear the barking and then I see the dog behind me chasing me... :D
If I ever get chased by a witch or something I might ehmmm... "Talk to somebody". :D

Do you live in a very creepy place or something? :D Because here it's palm trees for Christmas and stuff. :D
Why are you making fun of me? I respect your right to believe whatever you wish.

DancingLady said:
Why are you making fun of me? I respect your right to believe whatever you wish.

I'm not making fun of you! :D

I'm actually kinda annoyed that there aren't enough creepy places or stories around here. :D

I definitely do not feel safe for me deserted road. It is quite save actually. Hence I rarely travel alone. I do think it is best to travel in that manner.

I definitely do not feel safe for me deserted road. It is quite save actually. Hence I rarely travel alone. I do think it is best to travel in that manner.

I spent a decade in the service (army infantry, hence the username) I spent a bulk of that time on small unit operations pathfinder, scout sniper and Recon. Lots of time spent miles from anything in the middle of nowhere often in a foreign country in very small numbers, some times alone. Ironically, it was probably Alaska where I felt most uneasy. Lots of BIG wildlife up there you don't want to mess with.

So I'm good. I've never felt fearfull riding even on lonely deserted roads. I don't think anyone wants to abduct a middle aged guy in spandex. And if they're after the bike, I won't put up a fight, they can have it.

Dora M said:
Whether you are cycling to get fit, to develop your cycling skills, or for leisure reasons, you always come across lonely stretches of road where there is a strange feeling in the air. When I lived in Australia, I often went for long trips in deserted places, usually feeling fine and confident as I knew the area very well. Somehow I developed a sense when it's safe to be in a certain location, and when it's best advised to get out of it as quickly as possible. There have been times when I suddenly felt a strong urge to leave a certain road and rest behind a big tree or rock out of sight from any cars passing by. I never tried to rationalize that feeling, I just did as my inner voice told me.
In Australia, and obviously all around the world, people disappear and are never heard of again, and that includes cyclists on lonely roads.
How do you feel when it suddenly hits you that you are in the middle of nowhere?

Pretty much every cyclist loves a 'lonely road', since it generally means there are no cars.

I also doubt many bike riders ever wondered;

Unless you're off your nut on drugs or booze. Generally @ 30kph and a lot of effort, it's pretty much impossible to not realise where you're riding to.

I feel completely 100% safe on lonely deserted roads, I've ridden so many of those types of roads that the thought of being on one never bothered me, but then again riding in downtown Los Angeles during rush hour never bothered me either...I'm weird that way.

Reactions: steve
Not at all!! I feel more comfortable when there aren't cars every few seconds. But when it is really lonely and deserted I get anxious, not knowing what's going to pop out at me.

I feel safe because I never travel anywhere that i'm not comfortable being by myself in. Still, if I feel like something funny is going on or something bad could happen, then I'll turn around and get the heck out of there. I always get a little wary when large groups of people are around and I'm the only other person in sight. Still, it's not an issue that I deal with often, and I like riding by myself in the "middle of nowhere" or something that feels close to that.

No, I am on constant lookout for walkers! I found new path near where I live the other day and it was terrifying, and I could see it was a long, dark path surrounded by fields and thick trees and yet I kept riding down it and I nearly wet myself when I saw two people riding towards me that turned out to be a grandfather and grandson!

If I lose signal on my cellphone, then that where you need to get out of there. If you don't get any signal that means the cellphone company didn't put up any towers in the area because as you said, it's in the middle of nowhere and bad things can happen. Stay in the areas where you do get cell phone service.

Cell phone towers take up space where a good moonshine still can be producing. Dang waste of space.