Does A Woman On A Bike Need A Weapon?

Pepper spray on a bike is excellent for taking out at least two entities, the attacker and yourself. It is liken to using a grenade at close range and eventually you will forget and rub your eyes even if you don't get the initial blast of spray.

Volnix said:
Yes they do. Knives. Big f@ck off shiny ones. :D

And maybe a revolver in a trench coat.

A heavy Russian accent is a plus! :D
Sense of humor always shines. :p

I live in a dangerous country and I ride on dangerous roads. My only "weapons" are my instinct and my common sense, which tell me exactly where to go and where not. I've trained myself well to listen to that inner voice, and not question any sudden "strange" feeling that I might experience. I simply act quickly on my hunches.
How can I defend myself against a gang that might suddenly jump out of a bush, trying to attack me? No ordinary weapon will save me, only my intelligence...

Dora M said:
I live in a dangerous country and I ride on dangerous roads. My only "weapons" are my instinct and my common sense, which tell me exactly where to go and where not. I've trained myself well to listen to that inner voice, and not question any sudden "strange" feeling that I might experience. I simply act quickly on my hunches.
How can I defend myself against a gang that might suddenly jump out of a bush, trying to attack me? No ordinary weapon will save me, only my intelligence...
Any sort of intelligence wouldn't help you if a gang would attack you, and dump you off the bicycle.

I think if you are a female and you are riding alone on a dark trail, you might find it beneficial to have a weapon of some sorts on your bike. However, for the most part, I do not think it is necessary to have a weapon otherwise.

What kind of danger is in question here? Anyone using a bike can get away too quickly and avoid anyone planning to attack. I do not see the need to bring anything as I can easily maneuver my way out of danger using my bike. I am not saying to disregard whatever precautions you might want to take but seriously I do not feel threatened in any way without a weapon

It really depends upon where you're riding, to be honest. In my country, people don't tend to carry weapons with them no matter what gender they are, so it is not something that they would need to worry about here. However, I do certainly understand that it is something that might well be necessary if you're in another culture. You should always make sure that you know how to use whatever you carry to the best effect, make sure that you're safe with it, and ultimately make sure that whatever you're carrying is legal and licensed if needed. You don't want to get into trouble for anything.

I have managed to survive 50 plus years without a weapon and plan on continuing to do so. I use to ride my bike to work at night when I was a bartender and never had any issues. I guess for me, I just don't worry about things too much. So many doom and gloom people in this world. I just try and stay out of bad parts of town and when I do extremely long rides I always go with other people so I feel quite safe.

We do have to be safe and I do know some self defense tactics which I think everyone should know so you can stall them and run if need be, but for the most part be aware of your surroundings at all times. If something doesn't feel right, it usually isn't so trust your instincts.

I don't think that would be a necessary thing for any woman to do if she knows where it is a dangerous place to be on a bike. A pepper spray would be more than enough in my opinion.

Well, since riding in South Africa can be dangerous due to our incredibly high crime rate - I do advice carrying certain types of deterrents. Certainly not a knife as that will just land you up in big trouble with the law. It's preferable to carry either pepper spray or a handheld electric stunner and know how to use either. I always carry an electric stunner with me, and I've had to use it on one occasion several years ago. It's better to be safe than sorry but also to choose wisely what you'll be using to defend yourself.

I have a self-defense 'cat' key chain that goes everywhere with me regardless, it's attached to my keys so I always have it.
Other than that I do have a can of bear spray that I take with me mountain biking, but that's solely because it's not uncommon to encounter wild animals here, including cougars and bears.
I'm lucky enough to live in a safe area, and I don't normally cycle after dark anymore now that I no longer work graveyard shift, so I've never felt particularly threatened while riding.
If I were still commuting at night I think I would feel more wary. I tend to avoid the bad parts of town anyway, whether on foot or bike.

I think you are safe with your bike alone. It is very easy to get away from the scene with your bike. Weapons that are too obvious to be seen are just drawing more attention I think. A nice shiny bike too so just be careful not to get unwanted attention by your flashy gadgets and bike

My take on weapons is this:

If you feel the need to pull a weapon, you should expect to use it immediately. As soon as you show a gun, you up the ante and if you're the first to do so, you're in control for that instant. As soon as the other party has a gun or weapon pointing at you, then it's too late - you're on the back foot and have demonstrated the inability to pull the trigger. At that stage, that you have a gun drawn means that you will more than likely be shot at and your life is in someone else's hands.

Don't pull a weapon unless you're able to use it.

Better to stand over a corpse than six feet under your relatives at your funeral at the local graveyard.

There have been a few mugging along our bike trail. NO, the scumbags do not walk up to you and ask if you have a weapon.

One guy throws a bike in front of you as you roll by. As you crash, two guys jump on top of you to hold you down while the first guy runs up to search your belongings. If you have a gun, you ain't gonna have a chance to use it and it just may be used against you. :(

I remember my husband's friend was biking one night (from our house to his house). Halfway to his house, two guys on a motorcycle blocked his way. They kicked and punched him and took his belongings. Imagine that happening to a guy. What more to a girl? I mean it's okay if they're just going to steal some stuff. But rape is really rampant around here nowadays.

Anyway, I think weapons are really necessary nowadays. Even a pointy bracelet or pepper spray can help you. But prevention is better for me. Do not bike in dark and remote places especially alone. Have some light in your bike so if you go home late, you have some guide in the road.

Yes. I was taught by my mother to always have some sort of protection with me. She always kept a switchblade on her key chain. I usually have pepper spray on my key chain. I should really also look for some sort of switchblade for other sharp/knife like thing for my key chain too. This does not just apply for when you're out riding your bike either. If you're a woman, I feel like you should always have some sort of protection with you at all times.

Well, while riding your bike can give a false sense of safety (you can ride away quickly or actually use it as a weapon). Don't forget about the fact that, while attacked you will get off of it. So, I think be prepared for everything and If you are that kind of a person who carries self-defense weapons, just because you are on your bike don't stop you from to do so.

The only "weapon" I would use is pepper spray since I can't think of myself carrying a gun or something. The trick here though is to avoid having to use a weapon.