Does A Woman On A Bike Need A Weapon?

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by Lizel, Jul 14, 2015.

1. joahnna mae ma-amo bello

I think that it is advisable to bring with you some weapons when you go out for a ride. However, you must also use it responsible. It must never be use for the sole purpose of showing off but for protection. Maximum tolerance should be practiced when bringing such weapons with you on the way.

2. treecko142

treecko142 Member

If it makes you feel safe, go ahead, but go for something just for defensive purposes and wouldn't threaten other people on the road.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

There is one lady biker here who is a police woman. Now, I am wondering if she brings along her gun when riding. She is usually attired in cycling shorts and shirt with a helmet that has a camera. But I didn't notice if she has a bag or purse that may hold the gun. Maybe not a gun but a smaller weapon like a folding knife would be more convenient to bring.

4. xobe

xobe New Member

I am against bringing weapon while cycling because it may be dangerous for everyone. Of course, make sure to roam around only on those safe places and not in the evening. Police may think suspicious activity on you if you carry a weapon.

5. Kakashi

Kakashi Active Member

Knowing selfdefense techniques can be very helpful to women. If someone does attacks you the best way is to avoid/push back the attacker and run to a more public place where you can get help.

But in most cases attacks happen in secluded areas in which the best response would be to immobilize your attacker and run. There are several effective defensive tools you can bring like
    1.Pepper Spray
    2.Tazer o Stun Gun
    3.Flashlight Baton
    One easy thing to do is to give the attacker a good kick to the crotch area.

6. Henrywrites

Henrywrites Member

I would always suggest that they ride in groups which is really a good way that one can get to be safe. I am not in support of going on a ride with a weapon for if a place is not safe for riding ,then there is no need to go on a ride in the first place.

7. ballyhara

ballyhara Member

Wow, a woman will need a weapon while cycling maybe if it's 2 am, in a war zone, completely drunk, and as foreigner in a new country. Of course, there's danger everywhere, and there are crazy people too, but as a woman I take some precautions, never riding alone but with my cycling pack, a decent time of the day for cycling, don't bring fancy values with me, we always make a detailed route so that way we don't go into risky zones. I think carrying a weapon is like too much.