Does A Woman On A Bike Need A Weapon?

I think that it is advisable to bring with you some weapons when you go out for a ride. However, you must also use it responsible. It must never be use for the sole purpose of showing off but for protection. Maximum tolerance should be practiced when bringing such weapons with you on the way.

If it makes you feel safe, go ahead, but go for something just for defensive purposes and wouldn't threaten other people on the road.

I think that it is advisable to bring with you some weapons when you go out for a ride. However, you must also use it responsible. It must never be use for the sole purpose of showing off but for protection. Maximum tolerance should be practiced when bringing such weapons with you on the way.

There is one lady biker here who is a police woman. Now, I am wondering if she brings along her gun when riding. She is usually attired in cycling shorts and shirt with a helmet that has a camera. But I didn't notice if she has a bag or purse that may hold the gun. Maybe not a gun but a smaller weapon like a folding knife would be more convenient to bring.

I am against bringing weapon while cycling because it may be dangerous for everyone. Of course, make sure to roam around only on those safe places and not in the evening. Police may think suspicious activity on you if you carry a weapon.

Knowing selfdefense techniques can be very helpful to women. If someone does attacks you the best way is to avoid/push back the attacker and run to a more public place where you can get help.

But in most cases attacks happen in secluded areas in which the best response would be to immobilize your attacker and run. There are several effective defensive tools you can bring like
1.Pepper Spray
2.Tazer o Stun Gun
3.Flashlight Baton
One easy thing to do is to give the attacker a good kick to the crotch area.

Pepper spray as some suggested is a good means of protection. It deters eve-teasers and stalkers. However, if a burglar gang is behind you and if the criminal is a professional, I'm afraid, even a gun can't help. As some suggested a weapon can go against you. It all depends on your local conditions and your threat perception.

If a route is too risky, you may better avoid it. If it's as simple as a pepper spray, then you are all fine.

I would always suggest that they ride in groups which is really a good way that one can get to be safe. I am not in support of going on a ride with a weapon for if a place is not safe for riding ,then there is no need to go on a ride in the first place.

Wow, a woman will need a weapon while cycling maybe if it's 2 am, in a war zone, completely drunk, and as foreigner in a new country. Of course, there's danger everywhere, and there are crazy people too, but as a woman I take some precautions, never riding alone but with my cycling pack, a decent time of the day for cycling, don't bring fancy values with me, we always make a detailed route so that way we don't go into risky zones. I think carrying a weapon is like too much.

In my opinion, if you feel that you are going to a place that is not safe, better not to continue your plan. Truly bringing a weapon could come in handy but as you said, it could be used against you so better consider the risk factors first. Danger is always out there, it is something that we cannot forsee and as they say, prevention is better than cure so what I could suggest is for you to study self defense techniques that will not require you to use weapons. But if you insist on bringin some weapon, just bring a screwdriver. It could be used as a weapon on the same time it could help you fix your bike if you have something that needs repair. You just have to be brave and ready to face those risks.

One thing a woman can do is learn self defense so that he could use a short wooden stick to defend herself. We call it here Arnis or Kali which uses long and short hardened sticks for defense and offense.

Does a Woman on a Bike Need a Weapon? ... Urban cycling, which we wholeheartedly support, is not without its large and small dangers, and for women, the top two perceived or real ones beyond falling or crashing would seem to be catcalls, and the possibility of being accosted.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I feel like I need a weapon to go somewhere, I will not go there. There is nothing I really need to do (work, shopping, etc) that cannot be done safely and in daylight hours when normal people are just out doing their thing.

I suspect this is really not any different for a man. Yes woman have a greater risk of sexual assault, but men have a great risk of macho attacks from something like road rage where a guy is far less likely to hit a female.

In both cases if a place predictably going to require you to fight for your life and risk harm, death or imprisonment (fights are general a hearsay scenario when anyone can say anything). Option number one is to just not go there.

Option number two when a dangerous situation is unavoidable or occurs unexpectedly is to knowing you have a solid club lock that could be used as the name implies.
A weapon means absolutely nothing if you're not willing to use one, and that applies to men and women alike. If you'd hesitate to defend yourself, then don't bring a weapon because it's going to cause you more harm than not. Everyone thinks that they can protect themselves by carrying some sort of weapon and that's just not the case. Many people find that they're not willing to actually use the weapon, so then they put themselves in danger and look foolish for not using the weapon for self-defense.

A weapon means absolutely nothing if you're not willing to use one, and that applies to men and women alike. If you'd hesitate to defend yourself, then don't bring a weapon because it's going to cause you more harm than notDigitalOcean SiteGround iPageEveryone thinks that they can protect themselves by carrying some sort of weapon and that's just not the case. Many people find that they're not willing to actually use the weapon, so then they put themselves in danger and look foolish for not using the weapon for self-defense.

I sometimes feel insecure while biking, so I'm sure that knowledge I can take care of myself would be extremely helpful.

A weapon method in reality not anything in case you're not inclined to use one, and that applies to males and females alike. If you'll hesitate to shield yourself, then do not deliver a weapon because it's going to cause you extra harm than not. Everyone thinks that they can shield themselves by using carrying a few form of weapon and that is just now not the case. Many human beings locate that they're now not willing to virtually use the weapon, so then they positioned themselves in hazard and appearance silly for not using the weapon for self-protection.

I am not a woman but I carry Pepper Spray, mainly to deter dogs, and if I bike anywhere near the city I carry a compact 9MM in a shoulder holster under my jersey, but over my undershirt. If I were a woman, I'd be armed always. It is a personal choice, however. Do whatever makes you comfortable. Unfortunately, sometimes bad things happen in good places. Maybe not as often, but they do occur.

A weapon method in reality not anything in case you're not inclined to use one, and that applies to males and females alike. If you'll hesitate to shield yourself, then do not deliver a weapon because it's going to cause you extra harm than not. Everyone thinks that they can shield themselves by using carrying a few form of weapon and that is just now not the case. Many human beings locate that they're now not willing to virtually use the weapon, so then they positioned themselves in hazard and appearance silly for not using the weapon for self-protection.
This truth can only be understood from experience. If a person has never used a weapon, then it really seems to him that he is safe. Any words are useless.