Does biking create bigger legs?

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
This is the reason why girls during my time are averse to biking - they will develop bigger legs that would not be good for a fashionable girl. I also believed in that but when I was an adult, I had a chance to ride with a group where a doctor was a member. In a pit stop, I asked that doctor of his opinion about the big legs of a biker. He said no, there is no proof of that. However, he couldn't say if there was a study debunking the myth.

I really couldn't say whether cycling results to bigger legs but I do know that one develops leaner leg muscles when he/she constantly rides a bike. Whenever I look at a cyclist, I mostly see someone with a really slim figure and developed upper and lower leg muscles.

Speaking for myself, my legs and torso and even my arms definitely trim up and get leaner, the more I bike. In fact, I even worry about getting too thin and losing my curves and becoming more of a stick figure with all my bicycling. Don't laugh. I know of other hard core bicycling gals with the same concern.

I think guys tend to muscle up more than us gals. Probably a hormone thing.

Speaking for myself, my legs and torso and even my arms definitely trim up and get leaner, the more I bike. In fact, I even worry about getting too thin and losing my curves and becoming more of a stick figure with all my bicycling. Don't laugh. I know of other hard core bicycling gals with the same concern.

I think guys tend to muscle up more than us gals. Probably a hormone thing.

I think so too. I have noticed that guys develop their muscles faster than girls. I also think it's a hormonal difference that causes that but yeah, same as you, most of my friends who are active cyclists do have really slim figures and what's really good about cycling is how the way it makes a person slimmer from upper to lower body portion. Some exercises or fitness regimens only focus on one area but cycling focuses not only on the legs but on the entire body. :)

You're so right about the way bicycling trims up the whole body. One of my non-bicycling friends doubted this until I got her on a long bike ride (for her). I did coach her on how to use more than just her legs for pedaling, though.

Reactions: gracer
Well I can certainly say that have noticed a significant change in the size of my legs from when I started cycling. Over the years all that riding just adds up and builds solid muscle. Mostly in the calves and thighs is where I see the most change, and that is probably the case for most people. Certainly the most elevated riding works the muscles a little more.

My calves and thighs are now more toned but not big. That was mainly due to cycling and or walking briskly on my training days. I do not think girls should be worried about developing bigger muscles on their legs they should appreciate the fact that cycling would help them tone up.

My calves and thighs are now more toned but not big. That was mainly due to cycling and or walking briskly on my training days. I do not think girls should be worried about developing bigger muscles on their legs they should appreciate the fact that cycling would help them tone up.

I agree. I would also like to add that having toned muscles, either of the lower or upper body helps a lot in preventing sagging skin especially when one gets older. I have noticed this with my neighbor whom I mentioned in another thread, he is already in his 50s but his skin tells people that he's way younger than his age. This is because his toned muscles also somehow helped hold his skin tighter.

I think biking will build up the muscles in your lower limbs but it won't necessarily make it big. It will just keep it toned so that you can have more lower body strength in addition to a more healthy body.

Biking mainly works your thigh and leg muscles, but it won't really make it very big but will remain proportional to your body, only more toned and will actually look much better as long as you also eat properly.

I think it depends on how a woman will handle herself to still be fashionable in her own way. I believe female cyclist can still be fashionable as long as she knows how she would choose fashion wear and items that suits to her. And fashion comes in different ways and situations.

I don't think that cycling contributes to bigger legs. Try watching cycling races and you would see cyclist having toned muscular legs and not big heavy ones.

as for my opinion, women bicyclists have lots better looking legs then non bicycling women.

I have been judiciously studying this issue for many years.
This is one issue I can get behind in researching, LOL. But yeah, toned legs look really good on women and cycling really helps.

You know I always find it kind of amusing how so many young women are opposed to any form of strength training because they instantly think they’re going to turn into some hulking she-beast. The fact is that building muscle isn’t nearly as easy as so many young women think it is.

Even at its most intense (for the average person), cycling could only be considered light—moderate at best—strength training. It’s going to tone your legs and they’ll certainly be firmer and sexier, but you’re not going to be competing in any Mrs. Galaxy bodybuilding competitions any time soon.

There are a lot of ways to make the legs of a woman bigger and I believe one of those ways is through cycling. As we all know, activities such as exercising, lifting, jogging or even cycling could help us develop our muscles and because of that, it is not impossible for us to consider that cycling could really make our legs bigger and developed. I used to jog before, and I noticed how my legs got bigger, not by fats but by muscles. To some it may not look good but to others it is something that is really hard to achieve. That is also one reason why there are stationary bikes in a gym for thos people who wants to develop their muscles.