Ergo Front Derailleur Cable Tension

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Kopit, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    There was a discussion here a few weeks ago about the need of an
    adjuster for the front derailleur. My bicycles have none. With Ergo,
    I just pull the cable as tight as possible. The limit being where the
    front derailleur will not move fully inward to the stop.

    Why do I need an adjuster with Ergo? Is there a device made that
    would give more movement per click on the front shifter? With my
    50/34 setups, it seems that I need to be on the last click when moving
    from the 34 to 50 on many bikes I've setup. I never need to trim the
    front derailleur. I'd like to swing the lever less to shift to the
    big ring.

    I understand that the STI is indexed and needs finer adjustment.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Paul Kopit wrote:
    > There was a discussion here a few weeks ago about the need of an
    > adjuster for the front derailleur. My bicycles have none. With Ergo,
    > I just pull the cable as tight as possible. The limit being where the
    > front derailleur will not move fully inward to the stop.
    >
    > Why do I need an adjuster with Ergo?

    A front adjuster isn't essential but I find one makes setting up easier.
    Trimming is needed with my triple derailleur and cable tension has to be
    just right to get the clicks where I want them.

    > Is there a device made that
    > would give more movement per click on the front shifter? With my
    > 50/34 setups, it seems that I need to be on the last click when moving
    > from the 34 to 50 on many bikes I've setup. I never need to trim the
    > front derailleur. I'd like to swing the lever less to shift to the
    > big ring.

    Certain old Shimano front derailleurs travel further per click with a
    Campag shifter, but they're generally not as good.

    > I understand that the STI is indexed and needs finer adjustment.

    You could say Ergos are indexed as well: micro indexed.

    ~PB

  3. paul-<< With Ergo,
    I just pull the cable as tight as possible. The limit being where the
    front derailleur will not move fully inward to the stop. >><BR><BR>

    You need no adh=uster. Remember to push the thumb button down when you tighten
    the front der cable as well. Then the minimum of lever movement will get the
    chain onto the next ring.

    NOT like the finicky DA or ultegra doubles/triples at all

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  4. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 03 Feb 2005 14:38:03 GMT, vecchio51@aol.com (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote:

    >paul-<< With Ergo,
    >I just pull the cable as tight as possible. The limit being where the
    >front derailleur will not move fully inward to the stop. >><BR><BR>
    >
    >You need no adh=uster. Remember to push the thumb button down when you tighten
    >the front der cable as well. Then the minimum of lever movement will get the
    >chain onto the next ring.
    >
    >NOT like the finicky DA or ultegra doubles/triples at all

    I recently went to STI for the first time. Getting the rear adjusted was a piece
    of cake, everything fell into place. The front was amazingly fussy. It wouldn't
    work at all until it was just right. Then, it worked perfectly and continues to
    do so. No such thing as "a little bit off" with this.

    Ron

Share This Page