Ergomo's cost of ownership and consistency

kenji

Jan 15, 2005
I'm thinking about replacing my PowerTap Pro with an Ergomo Pro.

I've read the midweekclub's FAQ and posts in this forum and BBS of www.ergomo.net. However, I'm still unclear about these things:

1) Long-term cost of ownership of the Ergomo.
- Does the Ergomo BB sensor requires periodical factory-adjustment like the SRM? If so, how much does it cost?
- How long do the ball-bearings in the Ergomo BB sensor last? I've heard that the repair (replacement of ballbearings) cost is about 300 euros(!!).

2) Long-term consisetncy of the power readings of the Ergomo.
- Are the readings really "fixed" if there are no large change in temperature and if the BB break-in process is over, as the Ergomo people says?
- If it is not "fixed", when should i re-check the readings?
- How to check the consistency of the readings? I know that the Ergomo cannot output the torque for the static weight (aka. "stomp test" for the PT).

The answers from the Ergomo support people on their BBS seems vague and pointless. I've asked the local distributer about above things, but the answers didn't make sense for me.
I'd be grateful for input from any of you who has used Ergomo (Sport/Pro), or who has special insight on them.

Thanks

kenji said:

I've read the midweekclub's FAQ and posts in this forum and BBS of www.ergomo.net. However, I'm still unclear about these things:

- Does the Ergomo BB sensor requires periodical factory-adjustment like the SRM? If so, how much does it cost?
- How long do the ball-bearings in the Ergomo BB sensor last? I've heard that the repair (replacement of ballbearings) cost is about 300 euros(!!).

- Are the readings really "fixed" if there are no large change in temperature and if the BB break-in process is over, as the Ergomo people says?
- How to check the consistency of the readings? I know that the Ergomo cannot output the torque for the static weight (aka. "stomp test" for the PT).

The answers from the Ergomo support people on their BBS seems vague and pointless. I've asked the local distributer about above things, but the answers didn't make sense for me.
I'd be grateful for input from any of you who has used Ergomo (Sport/Pro), or who has special insight on them.

Thanks

They used to print the expected mileage between servicing and the service cost on the ergomo web site. For some reason they took it down. It was 300 Euros IIRC and the mileage was 10-15000 miles.

Woofer said:
They used to print the expected mileage between servicing and the service cost on the ergomo web site. For some reason they took it down. It was 300 Euros IIRC and the mileage was 10-15000 miles.
Thanks Woofer.
10-15000 miles? I ride 1000 miles per month in average, so the expected (lowest) BB cost comes to 240 euros per year. I've heard that the average annual service cost for the SRM is about 35 euros.

The retail price of the Ergomo is 1460 euros in Japan, and that of the SRM compact pro is 2241 euros w/o tax. So the total cost for the Ergomo exceeds the SRM compact pro's after 4.7 years.

I 'm now inclining towards the Ergomo...

kenji said:

Thanks
Hi,

1.) Once you've purchased an ergomo you have a warranty of two years. This includes of course the bb and the bearings. If you register your ergomo on www.ergomo.net the warranty is expended to two and a half years. Should the bb need repair after warranty time the costs depend on what needs to be done. The bb doesn't need periodical factory-adjustment.

2.) We can only confirm that the power readings are fixed and independent from temperature. The offset procedure has to be done once every time the sensor is mounted into the bottom bracket. An independent measurement test stand was developed. Every sensor that is sent to a customer comes with a calibration certificate that proves the correct readings. This is how we show the consistency of the readings.

Thanks, ergomo_support:).
I'm waiting the delivery of ISIS version of Ergomo.

ergomo_support said:
1.) Once you've purchased an ergomo you have a warranty of two years. This includes of course the bb and the bearings. If you register your ergomo on www.ergomo.net the warranty is expended to two and a half years. Should the bb need repair after warranty time the costs depend on what needs to be done. The bb doesn't need periodical factory-adjustment.
So, even if the ball-bearings are broken due to the rain or dust in the two and a half years, it'll be repaired without any cost?

ergomo_support said:
2.) We can only confirm that the power readings are fixed and independent from temperature. The offset procedure has to be done once every time the sensor is mounted into the bottom bracket. An independent measurement test stand was developed.
What is the "Independent measurement test stand"? :confused:
Is it available for everyone?

ergomo_support said:
Every sensor that is sent to a customer comes with a calibration certificate that proves the correct readings. This is how we show the consistency of the readings.
Yes, the Ergomo's ACCURACY is really great, but my concern is the CONSISTENCY rather than the accuracy.
Even if the ergomo has such great accuracy, it does not necessarily mean that the readings will be consistent over 1 or 2 (or more) years.

Normally, measuring tools need re-calibration after certain period. And the reliability of the tools supported by KNOWN/EXPECTED re-calibration period and/or means for checking whether it needs re-calibration (e.g., stomp test method for the PowerTaps).

BTW, I'll greatly appreciate if you present those DATA and/or THEORY which supports the longterm consistency of the readings of the Ergomo.

Regards,
Kenji

You have to wonder about the claims that the Ergomo is more accurate than the SRM (by 0.5%). The fact that it only measures the left leg probably introduces more error than 0.5%...

The certificate of accuracy doesn't seem to have helped those who have found their new Ergomos to be off and not necessarily by a fixed amount, i.e., neither accurate nor precise. Those folks have found that you need to have a 2nd powermeter to check and calibrate the Ergomo.

I do expect the software and firmware problems to eventually be resolved though.

Squint,

Squint said:
You have to wonder about the claims that the Ergomo is more accurate than the SRM (by 0.5%). The fact that it only measures the left leg probably introduces more error than 0.5%...
Certainly. The changes in leg balance may be a most probable cause of inconsisitency.

Squint said:
The certificate of accuracy doesn't seem to have helped those who have found their new Ergomos to be off and not necessarily by a fixed amount, i.e., neither accurate nor precise. Those folks have found that you need to have a 2nd powermeter to check and calibrate the Ergomo.
That's right. Fortunately, I have a PT. I'll keep it if i bought the Ergomo (and possibly i have to keep PT's wiring harnesses staying on my bike to periodically re-calibrate. Ughhhh...). A remaining problem is that the re-calibration period is uncertain.

I've understood why the SRM is called the "gold standard"...

Kenji

Squint said:

I am a day or two away from buying an ergomo... who has found them inaccurate and variably so? I've not seen any recent posts...