Everybody should have one

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Huw Pritchard, May 3, 2003.

  1. I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's made me extremely happy.

    I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an old rear mech and a
    teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.

    Yay!

    --
    Huw "Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" Pritchard

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <usenet001@pritch.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's made me extremely happy.
    >
    > I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an old rear mech and a
    > teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.
    >
    > Yay!
    >
    > --
    > Huw "Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" Pritchard

    Which one and $ ?
    --
    Slacker

  3. On Sat, 03 May 2003 19:25:50 +0100, "Huw Pritchard" <usenet001@pritch.co.uk> wrote:

    |I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's |made me extremely happy.
    |
    |I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an |old rear mech and a
    teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious |farting about with a toothbrush.

    People actually clean their chain, cassette, and deraileurs?

    Amazing.

  4. Huw Pritchard wrote:
    > I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's made me extremely happy.
    >
    > I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an old rear mech and a
    > teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.

    I have one... love it! a solution of 10% simple green and water and a few minutes in the bath is
    all it takes.

  5. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    P e t e F a g e r l i n <pete@petefagerlin.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 03 May 2003 19:25:50 +0100, "Huw Pritchard" <usenet001@pritch.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > |I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's |made me
    > extremely happy.
    > |
    > |I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an |old rear mech and a
    > teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious |farting about with a toothbrush.
    >
    > People actually clean their chain, cassette, and deraileurs?
    >
    > Amazing.
    All the major chain manufacturers recommend that you not soak chains as the grease/lube within the
    links is stripped and increases wear.

  6. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <wr5ta.28354$1s1.419295@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, dktbailey@bigpond.com says...

    > P e t e F a g e r l i n <pete@petefagerlin.com> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 03 May 2003 19:25:50 +0100, "Huw Pritchard" <usenet001@pritch.co.uk> wrote:
    > >
    > > |I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's |made me extremely
    > > happy.
    > > |
    > > |I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an |old rear mech and a
    > > teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious |farting about with a toothbrush.
    > >
    > > People actually clean their chain, cassette, and deraileurs?
    > >
    > > Amazing.
    > All the major chain manufacturers recommend that you not soak chains as the grease/lube within the
    > links is stripped and increases wear.

    So re-lube them.

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  7. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Technician" <travis57@nospam.megalink.net> wrote in message
    | In article <wr5ta.28354$1s1.419295@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, dktbailey@bigpond.com says...
    | >
    | > P e t e F a g e r l i n <pete@petefagerlin.com> wrote in message

    | > > |
    | > > toothbrush.
    | > >
    | > > People actually clean their chain, cassette, and deraileurs?
    | > >
    | > > Amazing.
    | > All the major chain manufacturers recommend that you not soak chains as
    the
    | > grease/lube within the links is stripped and increases wear.
    | >

    | So re-lube them.

    <opens up the instruction sheet from a SRAM PC-58 chain>

    No mention is made against soaking the chain, though it does say not to use acidic degreasers (note:
    the USAF now prohibits the use of Simple Green on airframes.)

    I soak chains in Agitene, then rinse in very hot water (Agitene water-solublizes grease) then let it
    air dry. Then I soak the chain liberally with Pro-Link and let it dry, wiping it before
    installation. No worries.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/24/2003

  8. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 03 May 2003 15:29:32 -0400, ClydesdaleMTB <ClydesdaleMTB@netscape.net> wrote:

    >I have one... love it! a solution of 10% simple green and water and a few minutes in the bath is
    >all it takes.

    Simple Green, the name says it all.

    Bill(always 100% strength)Wheeler. The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as
    a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of
    the world.
    :-]

  9. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <intergalax@prodigy.net> wrote in message

    > No mention is made against soaking the chain, though it does say not to use acidic degreasers
    > (note: the USAF now prohibits the use of Simple Green on airframes.)

    <<< from http://www.simplegreen.com/faq.html >>> "Aircraft Cleaning with Simple Green or Crystal
    Simple Green Many private and commercial aircraft owners and operators have cleaned their craft with
    All Purpose Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green for many years. However, these products do not have
    Mil-Prf (military testing) authority. The testing involves very long (168 hours in one test) soaking
    of various metals in the solution and then a corrosion inspection. If an aircraft owner only wants
    to use mil-prf approved products; he will not want to use Simple Green. Please see the additional
    information under "Aluminum".

    Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum? Simple Green products have been
    successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for
    over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that
    easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple
    Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of
    All Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces
    should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning
    jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after
    cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and
    crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or
    unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after
    cleaning to prevent oxidation." <<<end>>>

    The stuff is not good for aluminum or for that matter some other metal coatings. We used to sell
    some similar general purpose type of cleaner at work, but have since sold that side of the
    business.....we're an Aerospace company. Anyway, I took a couple dozen gallons of our cleaner home
    to use on my bike. It stripped any coating that was on the aluminun and started to strip the coating
    off my King headset. Needless to say, the only thing I'm using that stuff on is concrete, carpet and
    my kitchen/bathroom floor.
    --
    Slacker

  10. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <b9378u$es6ok$1@ID-175756.news.dfncis.de>, intergalax@prodigy.net says...

    > "Technician" <travis57@nospam.megalink.net> wrote in message
    > | In article <wr5ta.28354$1s1.419295@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, dktbailey@bigpond.com says...
    > | >
    > | > P e t e F a g e r l i n <pete@petefagerlin.com> wrote in message

    > it's
    > | > > |
    > cassette, an

    > | > All the major chain manufacturers recommend that you not soak chains as
    > the
    > | > grease/lube within the links is stripped and increases wear.
    > | >

    > | So re-lube them.
    >
    > <opens up the instruction sheet from a SRAM PC-58 chain>
    >
    > No mention is made against soaking the chain, though it does say not to use acidic degreasers
    > (note: the USAF now prohibits the use of Simple Green on airframes.)
    >
    > I soak chains in Agitene, then rinse in very hot water (Agitene water-solublizes grease) then let
    > it air dry. Then I soak the chain liberally with Pro-Link and let it dry, wiping it before
    > installation. No worries.
    >

    > ---
    > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    > http://intergalax.com

    > - Release Date: 4/24/2003

    I use a different (and probably wrong) method. I soak the chain in gasoline to dissolve the grease
    and oil, i then rinse it with hot water, and dry it with acetone (the chain is all metal, no rubber
    o-rings). i then use 3-in-1 to lube it (it works, and it's cheap).

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    Personal Website: http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/ travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator
    TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer (current project: Automotive exhaust flame-thrower)

  11. Nelson Binch

    | In article <b9378u$es6ok$1@ID-175756.news.dfncis.de>, intergalax@prodigy.net says...
    | >
    | > "Technician" <travis57@nospam.megalink.net> wrote in message
    | > | In article <wr5ta.28354$1s1.419295@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, dktbailey@bigpond.com says...

    | > it's
    | > | > > |
    | > cassette, an

    | > the

    | > |
    | > | So re-lube them.
    | >
    | > <opens up the instruction sheet from a SRAM PC-58 chain>
    | >
    | > No mention is made against soaking the chain, though it does say not to
    use
    | > acidic degreasers (note: the USAF now prohibits the use of Simple Green
    on
    | > airframes.)
    | >
    | > I soak chains in Agitene, then rinse in very hot water (Agitene water-solublizes grease) then
    | > let it air dry. Then I soak the chain liberally with Pro-Link and let it dry, wiping it before
    | > installation.
    No
    | > worries.
    | >

    | > ---
    | > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    | > http://intergalax.com

    | > 273 - Release Date: 4/24/2003
    | >

    | I use a different (and probably wrong) method. I soak the chain in gasoline to dissolve the grease
    | and oil, i then rinse it with hot water, and dry it with acetone (the chain is all metal, no
    | rubber o-rings). i then use 3-in-1 to lube it (it works, and it's cheap).

    Pro-link is roughly twice the price of 3-in-1, but you use less than half as much, so the cost is a
    wash. Instead, you get a material that binds with the metal, protecting it far better than any
    household oil, so it lasts longer, and the chain lasts longer. A distributor's rep gave me a quarter
    bottle to try once and he hooked me for life.

    Cleaning with gasoline is dumb. You're better off just going straight to the acetone. Agitene is
    cheap, reusable (I have a 5 gallon bucket and take it out in a plastic bowl for soaking, then pour
    it back. Solids settle to the bottom of the bucket (This is the stuff we used in the parts washer at
    the store) One bucket will last a home mechanic FOREVER! It has a MUCH higher flash-point than gas,
    so it is very safe. The only drawback is it takes the oils out of your skin, drying it badly (my
    hands would get like sandpaper at the store.)

    see http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml and punch agitene into the search field.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/24/2003

  12. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    > with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.

    Toothbrushes do an excellent farting job.

    I've retired so I've got time to spare testing these methods. My best technique for removing grit
    and crap from the rollers is two old toothbrushes, bristles facing bristles with the bodies taped
    together, dipped in degreaser and rubbed backwards forwards and up down. A single brush does the
    jockey wheels.

    Mmmm just checked - I've got 11 spare brushes for the future, does this qualify as 'compulsive
    cleaning behaviour' ? Mike

  13. Taywood wrote:
    >>with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.
    >

    > Toothbrushes do an excellent farting job.
    >
    > I've retired so I've got time to spare testing these methods. My best technique for removing grit
    > and crap from the rollers is two old toothbrushes, bristles facing bristles with the bodies taped
    > together, dipped in degreaser and rubbed backwards forwards and up down. A single brush does the
    > jockey wheels.
    >
    > Mmmm just checked - I've got 11 spare brushes for the future, does this qualify as 'compulsive
    > cleaning behaviour' ?

    only if you use them on your teeth after chain-cleaning

  14. Taywood wrote:
    >>with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.
    >

    > Toothbrushes do an excellent farting job.
    >
    > I've retired so I've got time to spare testing these methods. My best technique for removing grit
    > and crap from the rollers is two old toothbrushes, bristles facing bristles with the bodies taped
    > together, dipped in degreaser and rubbed backwards forwards and up down. A single brush does the
    > jockey wheels.
    >
    > Mmmm just checked - I've got 11 spare brushes for the future, does this qualify as 'compulsive
    > cleaning behaviour' ? Mike

    If you want to get really fancy, use your ultrasonic toothbrush.

    Jon Bond

  15. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <intergalax@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:b93amk$f6vim$1@ID> |

    > Cleaning with gasoline is dumb. You're better off just going straight to the acetone. Agitene is
    > cheap, reusable (I have a 5 gallon bucket and
    take
    > it out in a plastic bowl for soaking, then pour it back. Solids settle to the bottom of the bucket
    > (This is the stuff we used in the parts washer at the store) One bucket will last a home mechanic
    > FOREVER! It has a MUCH higher flash-point than gas, so it is very safe. The only drawback is it
    > takes the oils out of your skin, drying it badly (my hands would get like sandpaper at the store.)
    >
    > see http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml and punch agitene
    into
    > the search field.

    No thanks, after reading the MSDS on that stuff, I'll stick to dishwashing liquid.

  16. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Taywood wrote:
    > >>with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.
    > >

    > > Toothbrushes do an excellent farting job.
    > >
    > > I've retired so I've got time to spare testing these methods. My best technique for removing
    > > grit and crap from the rollers is two old toothbrushes, bristles facing bristles with the bodies
    > > taped together, dipped in degreaser and rubbed backwards forwards and up down. A single brush
    > > does the jockey wheels.
    > >
    > > Mmmm just checked - I've got 11 spare brushes for the future, does this qualify as 'compulsive
    > > cleaning behaviour' ? Mike
    >

    > If you want to get really fancy, use your ultrasonic toothbrush.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Some of "us" can't afford that, Prince ;^ 0
    --
    Slacker

  17. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <3EB5AA3F.4000006@TAKEMEOUTTAHEREtufts.edu>,
    Jonathan.Bond@TAKEMEOUTTAHEREtufts.edu says...

    > Taywood wrote:
    > >>with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.
    > >

    > > Toothbrushes do an excellent farting job.
    > >
    > > I've retired so I've got time to spare testing these methods. My best technique for removing
    > > grit and crap from the rollers is two old toothbrushes, bristles facing bristles with the bodies
    > > taped together, dipped in degreaser and rubbed backwards forwards and up down. A single brush
    > > does the jockey wheels.
    > >
    > > Mmmm just checked - I've got 11 spare brushes for the future, does this qualify as 'compulsive
    > > cleaning behaviour' ? Mike
    >

    > If you want to get really fancy, use your ultrasonic toothbrush.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Does a Spin-Brush count?
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

  18. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Huw Pritchard wrote:
    > I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's made me extremely happy.
    >
    > I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an old rear mech and a
    > teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.
    >
    > Yay!

    You know that if you wipe off all the excess lube after lubing the chain hardly picks up anything
    and it's the lube on the inside that matters anyway. My regiment consists of knocking off the big
    stuff with a dry brush, lube as necessary, and replace once a year or when it breaks.

Share This Page