Exage SIS Rear Derailleur-Sora STI Lever Compatibility

lclements63

Mar 9, 2004
I am comptemplating upgrades to an old(er) RaleighUSA Technium road bike which has the original factory spec Shimano Exage Triple derailleurs. I'm pretty certain the rear derailleur is SIS, even though it's not stamped with the SIS logo like the front. Assuming it is, I'm wondering if SIS derailleurs, especially the rear ones, would be compatible with Sora STI Triple levers, or if I'll need to replace the deraillueurs as well as the levers. I did this rather easily with my Cannondale but that's because the existing RSX kit was also STI. Any advise/feedback would be appreciated.

Originally posted by lclements63
I am comptemplating upgrades to an old(er) RaleighUSA Technium road bike which has the original factory spec Shimano Exage Triple derailleurs. I'm pretty certain the rear derailleur is SIS, even though it's not stamped with the SIS logo like the front. Assuming it is, I'm wondering if SIS derailleurs, especially the rear ones, would be compatible with Sora STI Triple levers, or if I'll need to replace the deraillueurs as well as the levers. I did this rather easily with my Cannondale but that's because the existing RSX kit was also STI. Any advise/feedback would be appreciated.
Rear one is NP if it's SIS. Front one even if sis isn't likely to work with STI triple shifters.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Rear one is NP if it's SIS. Front one even if sis isn't likely to work with STI triple shifters.

As I suspected. Fortunately I already have a Sora Triple derailleur set, and several narrow spare chains). The Exage triple crank already has narrow-chain specific chainrings, so I will only need to buy the levers, and still be able to upgrade the drivetrain on the cheap. Thanx for the feedback.