Excuse the cross post, BUT...

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Rtk, Mar 20, 2004.

  1. Rtk

    Rtk Guest

    Mail is being returned to me because it contains a virus,
    mail that supposedly COMES FROM ME. I looked up a few names
    that I'm supposedly sending infested mail to and they are on
    the four newsgroups that I occasionally frequent. There are
    not many being returned, but I imagine there are many more
    being received. Of course, everyone knows better than to
    open any attachments and I definitely have not done so, so I
    don't know how this happened. If your mail appears to be
    from me, it is NOT. Toss it. I have also received similar
    wormy notes from some of you who I definitely know would not
    send such slimy stuff.

    Ruth Kazez

    Tags:

  2. Donal Fagan

    Donal Fagan Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 10:46:50 -0500, rtk
    <exk7@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >If your mail appears to be from me, it is NOT. Toss it. I
    >have also received similar wormy notes from some of you who
    >I definitely know would not send such slimy stuff.

    So I just bought a bunny suit for nothing??!!

    :)

    Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name
    to reply by e-mail)

  3. rtk wrote:

    > Mail is being returned to me because it contains a virus,
    > mail that supposedly COMES FROM ME.

    It may, but it may not.

    Viruses spoof return addresses to achieve maximum confusion.
    The virus could originate from someone else, you could be in
    their email address book, and the virus forges the "from"
    line to make it look like its coming from you.

    Welcome to cyberterrorism.

    gtoomey

  4. Donald Graft

    Donald Graft Guest

    Many viruses fake the "from" line. They pick one at random
    from the address book of the infected PC. So it is simply
    the case that some infected guy out there has you in their
    address book.

    Don

    "rtk" <exk7@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:HuidndzXwdpP-8HdRVn-
    vA@adelphia.com...
    > Mail is being returned to me because it contains a virus,
    > mail that supposedly COMES FROM ME. I looked up a few
    > names that I'm supposedly sending infested mail to and
    > they are on the four newsgroups that I occasionally
    > frequent. There are not many being returned, but I imagine
    > there are many more being received. Of course, everyone
    > knows better than to open any attachments and I definitely
    > have not done so, so I don't know how this happened. If
    > your mail appears to be from me, it is NOT. Toss it. I
    > have also received similar wormy notes from some of you
    > who I definitely know would not send such slimy stuff.
    >
    > Ruth Kazez

Share This Page