Excuse the cross post, BUT...

Rtk

Guest
Mail is being returned to me because it contains a virus,
mail that supposedly COMES FROM ME. I looked up a few names
that I'm supposedly sending infested mail to and they are on
the four newsgroups that I occasionally frequent. There are
not many being returned, but I imagine there are many more
being received. Of course, everyone knows better than to
open any attachments and I definitely have not done so, so I
don't know how this happened. If your mail appears to be
from me, it is NOT. Toss it. I have also received similar
wormy notes from some of you who I definitely know would not
send such slimy stuff.

Ruth Kazez

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 10:46:50 -0500, rtk
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If your mail appears to be from me, it is NOT. Toss it. I
>have also received similar wormy notes from some of you who
>I definitely know would not send such slimy stuff.

So I just bought a bunny suit for nothing??!!

:)

Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name
to reply by e-mail)

rtk wrote:

> Mail is being returned to me because it contains a virus,
> mail that supposedly COMES FROM ME.

It may, but it may not.

Viruses spoof return addresses to achieve maximum confusion.
The virus could originate from someone else, you could be in
their email address book, and the virus forges the "from"
line to make it look like its coming from you.

Welcome to cyberterrorism.

gtoomey

Many viruses fake the "from" line. They pick one at random
from the address book of the infected PC. So it is simply
the case that some infected guy out there has you in their
address book.

Don

[email protected]...