Few tips to start mountain cycling

sharkantropo

Apr 11, 2016
Trespassing trees mounted on two wheels is such an addictive experience. If you wonder how it feels , I'll give you a few tips how to properly prepare for your first tracks.

• When picking a bicycle, It should fit your height , body type and length of your legs . Otherwise, you will feel uncomfortable and it will not be effective to ride. In general , there are three styles of mountain bike you can try , depending on your interests :
    a)Rigid mountain bikes have no suspension , meaning that there will not be many mechanical pieces to worry about . However , they are more difficult to ride on unpaved paths , for they will not offer any cushioning effect compared to most complex bicycles.
    b)Bicycles with front suspension are good for most beginners who want to start walking more rough terrain , because as its name implies , provides a suspension fork on the front wheel , but the rear wheel is rigid.
    c) Full suspension bikes mountain The most expensives among the bike types, but offer front and rear suspension , so are the most effective and comfortable to ride in rough and steep mountain biking trails.
  • Never dare to do mountain cycling without proper protection gearing. Get a helmet that fits you well . A good helmet should be your mayor priority If you want to start riding across unpaved trails riding . The helmet must stay comfortable, but not obstruct your vision nor squeeze the ears. Don't forget about shoulders, knee and gloves.
  • Be prepared for bruises. In your first few laps is pretty likely you'll fall at some point . You'll be making big jumps , riding over rocks , hitting you with branches and breaking thing, practically you will go rough over your bike. I suggest to be prepared for minor abrasions. Make sure you or someone in the group has the following: water bottles, band aids, air pumps, an extra pair of socks and raincoat gear.

So that's all I can recommend in regards of basic gear and some consumables to have around while you're hitting the rough road. The mountain is calling.

All the points are true in this post, but I would add one thing. If you're budget is really low, don't go to Canadian Tire and buy a dual suspension bike. Actually, just don't buy bikes from Canadian Tire at all. If you don't have much money, you should get rigid or hardtail.

Well I got a good laugh the be prepared for bruises one, but it is certainly true. I can remember a handful of times when I have gone in the rough terrain and came out with legs that mostly black and blue. I do consider myself kind of lucky though because I am weird and I like being sore, so I guess it works out in a strange sort of way.

Reactions: Corzhens
Well I got a good laugh the be prepared for bruises one, but it is certainly true. I can remember a handful of times when I have gone in the rough terrain and came out with legs that mostly black and blue. I do consider myself kind of lucky though because I am weird and I like being sore, so I guess it works out in a strange sort of way.

Same here, it's funny about the bruises but it's true. In fact, there is a saying here that you can only learn how to ride after 2 crashes and a couple of bruises as well. The elbows and the knees are the most probable victims for the beginner. This reminds me of some girls that I saw in the park, they are grade school age. They have those complete getup of knee pad, elbow pad and all kind of pads you can think of. I wonder how they can enjoy the ride wearing that set of armor. But in fairness to those girls, they look cute though.

I am so afraid when it comes to mountain cycling. I don't know if it's easier elsewhere but 70% of the time when I do it, I end up riding straight into a tree. I see people manoeuvre around them so flawlessly but I was told that it's due to muscle memory an if they were to take on a completely new rule, they would have to get a few hits before they could do that again.

Among all the points you suggested, the protection is the most important one. Most of the newer riders ride the bikes without any protection in order to get more thrill but it can be dangerous and it can even cost life. So, always make sure to carry all of your protection gadgets if you are going for mountain cycling.

Mountain rides can be risky and they are much more challenging than the normal road rides. You should think twice before choosing the career of a mountain rider. I agree with the fact that these rides are enjoyable but the risk is involved. So, you should practise many times before going for any mountain ride.

Great points, if you're a beginner on a budget a good hardtail would do and don't buy it online, go to a bike shop so that you would have a chance to try it, to see if it fits your body and if it feels okay to you. Most beginners make the error of buying online or off the rack, without trying it, big mistake.

Main reason I don't want to start mountain cycling is stated on your last tip. Be prepared for the bruises! Actually I won't be afraid of the bruises if that is the only thing you will get. I am more concerned about accidents specially you will deal with big rocks, trees and mountains. If you aren't a professional cycler, don't dare do it. Be contented cycling on the roads first. Specially if you still have a problem with balancing, don't try cycling on the mountains.

Thanks for this tips. You're right, you should have all the protection gear before doing mountain biking. It's really hard to try it without that. I think mountain biking is the most dangerous compare to another sports included the bike.

What advice can you give to those beginners who wants to go into mountain cycling? Aside from the bike and gears to be used. Also, what is the brand of the bike that you can recommend that is perfect for mountain cycling and why?

Using a ln helmet when going for mountain cycling is a must. Yeah, we may not be expecting an accident to occur, but that does not mean that it is something which is not possible to happen. The need to do things the right way is always the best way to go.

Thanks for this tips. You're right, you should have all the protection gear before doing mountain biking. It's really hard to try it without that. I think mountain biking is the most dangerous compare to another sports included the bike.

It is risky, that's for sure, but comes with a whole lot of fun when we do it well. Getting a protection gear and other necessary things remain one of the ways we can get to enjoy it.

Good tips all around, I really miss mountain biking as I've been stuck forever in the city with a lot of work.

It is risky, that's for sure, but comes with a whole lot of fun when we do it well. Getting a protection gear and other necessary things remain one of the ways we can get to enjoy it.
Honestly, I'm afraid to do that. I feel like I'm in unknown trails and in just one mistake, don't know how to call help and if they able to find me. LOL. But that feeling give me a lot of thrill and excitement at the same time. :)

Honestly, I'm afraid to do that. I feel like I'm in unknown trails and in just one mistake, don't know how to call help and if they able to find me. LOL. But that feeling give me a lot of thrill and excitement at the same time. :)

As a rider, taking the risk and forgetting every other things that can ensure the you don't do it is one way that you want. This is the reason I didn't play with mountain ride.

Trail blazing bicycles are harder to pedal and slower on asphalt. Be that as it may, they have a cushy ride, an upright riding position, and can travel effortlessly on a wide assortment of surfaces. Crossover or cross bicycles are nearly as quick and simple to pedal as a street bicycle, while being nearly as agreeable and adaptable as a trail blazing bicycle.