first time shaving the legs

david462

Apr 3, 2006
after shaving my upper part of my legs were kinda irratated. they itch/burn and feel like pins and needles. the second day i have some bumps and still itch kinda bad. the lower part of my legs are fine though.

i wore pants the first day after shaving so i dont think it has to do with rubbing on clothing or not. maybe thogh cause all i wore was shorts the next two days (this is the third day after shaving).

did this happen to anyone else. could it be cus it is the first time and it will not happen again? am i using the wrong kind of razor/shaving cream or the wrong technique? should i put something on them after shaving?

Oh I just chuckle. :D

This has to be the most amusing thread in the list of current topics - at least for me.

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
Oh I just chuckle. :D

This has to be the most amusing thread in the list of current topics - at least for me.
Right there with you. Takes me back to when I was 10, getting advise from my friends, lol!

Not making fun of you at all David. To the contrary, I find your post quite cute.

To answer your questions seriously, yes the first time would make a difference, especially for a man's legs which have coarser and thicker hair. If you did not use a brand new razor for the first shave, that would make a difference too. And you definitely need a good shaving cream. And, as someone else mentioned, lotion immediately afterwards makes a huge difference. And, making sure the lotion is in fact immediately afterwards makes a difference as well.

And with that, I'm out. That's as far as I can take you, given that my female experience might differ from you guys'. :p :)

what else is funny is that i got a free shick sensitive razor in my package with my tubes in it today.

so lotion afterwards...is aftershave gel alright

Sharp razor, take a hot/warm bath first, use some oil in the bath, use shaving cream, and only press down lightly as you shave. Ideally use an electric razor first (before the bath) and go with the grain, but that takes longer.

The red spots happen when the top layer of skin around the follicle is lanced with the hair. By not pushing down, this effect is minimized. It is made worse if the hair gets ingrown and/or it gets infected. So some antiseptic afterwards might help as well.

It helps if your girlfriend/boyfriend can do the backs of your legs.:)

I wouldnt try any aftershave, just think how it feels on your face after you shave :eek: but if you try it, video tape it and put it on the forum for us :D

anyway i use some hydrocortizone cream on the legs afterwards and i have no problems with the red bumps or itching anymore. Seems the thighs are more sensetive than the lower part of the leg.

david462 said:
what else is funny is that i got a free shick sensitive razor in my package with my tubes in it today.

so lotion afterwards...is aftershave gel alright

exfoliation helps keep ingrowns at bay. be sure to clear off dead skin regularly.

After the first shave, I have only used soap and water for a long time now when I shave once or twice a week. It's very fast and I no longer have any red bumps or itching (unless I go too long in between shaves and then it gets soooo itchy!)

You may get to the point where you only need hot water and a sharp razor. Works for me.

Does shaving your legs actually make any difference to your speed for the average rider

feel said:
Does shaving your legs actually make any difference to your speed for the average rider
It doesn't make any difference whatsoever, average rider or not.

Logic Zero said:
Then why do people do it :confused::eek:
This topic has been beaten to death in the past.

For me, speed has no part in it. Supposedly if you are very fast (and hairy) shaving will make a little difference in a TT. Not my reason.

For me it feels better, lycra shorts/tights feel better, and road rash cleans better and heals faster without festering hairs under, and caught up in, the scabs. If you ride enough, you'll go down and scrape up at sometime and then it pays off.

But, that's just my opinion.

If you do not want to shave, don't worry about it:)

feel said:
maybe blokes just want to be in touch with their feminine side :rolleyes:
LOL :p

Karl Hungus said:
This topic has been beaten to death in the past.

For me, speed has no part in it. Supposedly if you are very fast (and hairy) shaving will make a little difference in a TT. Not my reason.

For me it feels better, lycra shorts/tights feel better, and road rash cleans better and heals faster without festering hairs under, and caught up in, the scabs. If you ride enough, you'll go down and scrape up at sometime and then it pays off.

But, that's just my opinion.

If you do not want to shave, don't worry about it:)
Ahh I see, thanks for replying and explaining mate!

very simply put: because of road rash! When I had a bad crash earlier this year, the nurses in the ER said "thank goodness you shave your legs, or this would be a whole lot nastier!" That was enough for me.

eh... rather than focus on the negative of road rash; far better and a more regular activity is a massage. Soo much easier for the masseur and more comfortable for me.

parawolf said:
eh... rather than focus on the negative of road rash; far better and a more regular activity is a massage. Soo much easier for the masseur and more comfortable for me.
Read these other posts about shaving, and from what i can tell its for massages and like said in here makes medical treatment either. I think its also just a cyclists thing, and its i dont so why its wrong doing it just to look a bit more professional even if you dont need it(not saying the majority do it for this reason). I myself wont do it though, until i see a major need, im an aussie and wear boardies for enough of the year except the periods where my legs go numb, just defies the beach bum appearance :)...