Floyd Landis lands arrest warrant

theage.com.au said:
A French judge has issued an international arrest warrant for US cyclist Floyd Landis in connection with a case of data hacking at a doping laboratory, France's anti-doping chief said on Monday.

Pierre Bordry told The Associated Press that French judge Thomas Cassuto is seeking to question Landis about computer hacking dating back to September 2006 at the Chatenay-Malabry lab.

Months earlier, the laboratory near Paris had uncovered abnormally elevated testosterone levels in Landis' samples collected in the run-up to his 2006 Tour de France victory.

The American cyclist unsuccessfully challenged the drug test results before an arbitration hearing in California - claiming that computer files were mishandled and erased.

Link: Cyclist Landis lands arrest warrant

midlife said:
Maybe they could do a swap with Roman Polanski :D

hmmmm, maleovent computer hacker and a pedofile - just do with them what England used to do with their criminals:D...they're not still engaging in that practice are they???...

tonyzackery said:
International Arrest Warrant Issued For Landis In France | Cyclingnews.com

doubt if US authorities will comply with this...regardless, Floyd's gonna have to answer to this charge at some point...the tangled webs we weave...

Well ,I am not familiar with international law for hacking but since it seeminly did not interupt any public service,cause an economic loss and on the surface doesn't seem to consitute and invasion of privacy I doubt that the law provides for extradition within the scope of the alleged offense.
This is of course just my opinion.

It's damned odd that it took nearly 4 years for law enforcement to get around to investigating the alleged hacking. Damned odd. That in itself should force some questions to be asked and answered.

tonyzackery said:
hmmmm, maleovent computer hacker and a pedofile - just do with them what England used to do with their criminals:D...they're not still engaging in that practice are they???...
Send them to Australia?

alienator said:
It's damned odd that it took nearly 4 years for law enforcement to get around to investigating the alleged hacking. Damned odd. That in itself should force some questions to be asked and answered.

We're talking about AFLD here. Since when has anything other than Landis's positive A sample been done quickly? (Remember, rumours about that positive were going through the peloton 2 days after they were taken, before the Tour finshed) It takes them about 6 months to get a simple doping case setup, I'm surprised these charges were brought about before 2020.

alienator said:
The hacker was caught for an other hacking, much more bigger that Landis' case, so Justice went after the biggest fishes then with Landis.
Landis was already sumoned last year, but he didn't responded so now Justice take the following step.
To get enough clues and evidences time is needed... but sure to satisfy you, they should have put Landis in jail directly at the end of the 17th stage.

poulidor said:
The hacker was caught for an other hacking, much more bigger that Landis' case, so Justice went after the biggest fishes then with Landis.
Landis was already sumoned last year, but he didn't responded so now Justice take the following step.
To get enough clues and evidences time is needed... but sure to satisfy you, they should have put Landis in jail directly at the end of the 17th stage.

Uh-huh. No matter how cut it taking 4 years on these charges is either foot dragging or bungling.

alienator said:
Uh-huh. No matter how cut it taking 4 years on these charges is either foot dragging or bungling.

Or maybe you just don't have a clue what you are talking about. The hacker was caught last year for hacking Greenpeace's computers. He gave information that he had been hired by Dr. Arnie Baker to hack into the LNDD's computers. Late last year Baker and Landis were subpoened for questioning. They refused to comply. Now arrest warrants have been issued so they can be questioned.

Bro Deal said:
Or maybe you just don't have a clue what you are talking about. The hacker was caught last year for hacking Greenpeace's computers. He gave information that he had been hired by Dr. Arnie Baker to hack into the LNDD's computers. Late last year Baker and Landis were subpoened for questioning. They refused to comply. Now arrest warrants have been issued so they can be questioned.

Oh, a clue! Thanks for bringing one by! As always, your input is massively valued. How silly of me to not have realized you'd have the indisputable answer.

alienator said:
Oh, a clue! Thanks for bringing one by! As always, your input is massively valued. How silly of me to not have realized you'd have the indisputable answer.

His answer was concise < snip >.

Landis tested positive for testosterone during the 2006 Tour de France. His doping controls were handled by the Chatenay-Malabry laboratory. In November 2006, the lab reported that its computer systems had been infected with a "Trojan Horse" virus, which was used by someone to access the lab's confidential documents. The lab said that data had been removed or changed, allegedly in an attempt to discredit the work of the organisation.

An email carrying the virus was alleged to have been sent from a computer with the same IP address as that of Landis' coach Arnie Baker. Both Landis and Baker denied any involvement in the hacking, but authorities maintain that the pair made use of pilfered documents in Landis' defense argument.

"Landis used the hacked files for his defense, that's how we discovered the whole scheme," Bordry said to the Associated Press. "He wanted to show that the lab made mistakes in the handling of the tests."

The investigation by the French Interior Ministry last year led to the arrest of a French national living in Morocco named Alain Quiros, who confessed to hacking into the lab, according to the New York Times. He said he'd been paid several thousand euros to hack into the AFLD computer as well as several other European corporations including Greenpeace France - the hacking scheme was instigated by a former French intelligence agent Thierry Lorho, head of Kargus Consultants.
Lorho reportedly handed off the data lifted from the lab computer to a man named Jean-François Dominguez, who then delivered it to another person who has not yet been identified. The confidential data then made its way to the news media and was used by Landis and Baker to form the basis of his defense against charges of doping.

Last spring, the French subpoenaed Landis and his coach Arnie Baker to travel to France and testify on this matter. Neither of them went to France.

Without getting into the he said/she said horse droppings...

I don't think it takes more than a quick read to spot something very odd about the above - it certainly doesn't take someone with a background in IT security (which I have) to figure this out.

If Quiros is the guy that's been doing the hacking, why would Baker's IP address be on an email that sent "the trojan horse" to AFLD? I highly doubt that Quiros would have spoofed, by sheer chance, an IP address that mystically belonged to Baker, nor do I think that Quiros would be dumb enough to pick an IP that's registered to a company/ISP in either Quiros' or Bakers locale.

Given that AFLD is financially strapped for cash and has been for a while and that they 'seemingly' don't have the funds to take care of business onsight, one can being to believe that they have the latest and greatest in network security applications and hardware.

swampy1970 said:
Given that AFLD is financially strapped for cash and has been for a while and that they 'seemingly' don't have the funds to take care of business onsight, one can being to believe that they have the latest and greatest in network security applications and hardware.

this is a canard. in this day and age just about every government agency (with the possible exception of the nsa) seems to be cash-strapped and suffering computer security breaches. then to extrapolate that to cast aspersions as to the quality of their work on doping tests? landis was caught. the aso were right in taking away the tdf victory. the cas upheld the doping positive.

slovakguy said:
this is a canard. in this day and age just about every government agency (with the possible exception of the nsa) seems to be cash-strapped and suffering computer security breaches. then to extrapolate that to cast aspersions as to the quality of their work on doping tests? landis was caught. the aso were right in taking away the tdf victory. the cas upheld the doping positive.

I think you read that wrong. I don't think he was casting aspersions. AFLD weaknesses and failures would be the topic of an entirely different thread. Likewise, I don't think AFLD needs people to leap to their defense.

jimmypop said:
His answer was concise, and you're still an idiot.

Dang! That just wreaks of the deep, mental effort and draining critical thought that must have gone into that statement. You truly are the example upon which the others of your kind should gaze with admiration. The statement resonates with meaning and value and certainly adds to and speaks glowingly of what is no doubt your unimpeachable credibility. There's no doubt that when you speak, people stop dead in their tracks to suckle on your words.

Sir, I salute you, and I think after all of your laboring on the point, using "idiot" was a much better choice than "fart face poopee butthole." I hope someone gives you a gold star.