Frame advice...

headplant

Nov 29, 2011
I've been an avid roadie for about 25 years, and quit racing about 15 years ago. I ride 'cause I love to ride.

I'm 6'1" and nearly 200 lbs, so I do feel sorry for my bikes...

My last bike was a 2005 CAAD7 with Ultegra (see avatar), but I'm moving on. No real complaints with the last one, other than maybe some minor fit issues. I like the CAAD frames, but hey it's 2011.

I've researched my brains out and found a few contenders for my next ride: the CAAD10 of course, Synapse, Wilier Izoard, Giant TCR Comp, and Opus Andante (I'm in Canada so selection is limited :p). Pretty wide berth I admit, but maybe there are some opinions to share?

Well, if you liked the CAAD 7, you'll likely dig the CAAD 10 a bit more. Otherwise, your best bet is to test ride some bikes. Whether it's 2005 or 2011, the CAAD frames have always been well regarded.

I guess the question is about carbon frames - is there any particular advantage/disadvantage over a good aluminum frame? The CAAD10 is stiff and light, and supposedly comfortable with the SAVE stays, but everyone is raving about carbon. Seems like they would have to be way better to justify the higher cost, but maybe it's just a fad. I had a Specialized Carbon Epic years back and it was a good ride, but nothing spectacular.

I guess the question is about carbon frames - is there any particular advantage/disadvantage over a good aluminum frame? The CAAD10 is stiff and light, and supposedly comfortable with the SAVE stays, but everyone is raving about carbon. Seems like they would have to be way better to justify the higher cost, but maybe it's just a fad. I had a Specialized Carbon Epic years back and it was a good ride, but nothing spectacular.

Originally Posted by headplant .

There's nothing inherently better about a carbon fiber frame. In fact the material from which a frame is made is only one of many factors that influence how a bike rides/performs, and it's a pretty minor factor. There are CF frames that can batter a rider just as well as any other frame. Likewise there are steel frames that can batter rider just as well as any other frame. That same goes for Ti frames, aluminum frames, or whatever. A frame material does not imbue a frame with any inherent ride or performance characteristic. That ride or performance characteristic is a function of frame design, rider fit, tire pressure, rider perception, and so on.

The raving you hear is, a lot of the time, the result of new bike orgasm, marketing, inexperience, or maybe even shilling. Of course sometimes the raving is from objective analysis but certainly not always. As for the higher cost of the frames, it's solely a function of what the market will be bear and where supply and demand intersect. An expensive price does not guarantee any type of performance or ride characteristic from a bike.

Since you liked your CAAD7, I'd see if you can get a ride on a CAAD10. Of course, if you're jonesing for something different than a CAAD, get a test ride on something else. A test ride is going to tell more than what anyone on a forum can offer. Just make sure you can get test rides that are not just around the parking lot but are instead of significant duration....at least an hour but hopefully more.

For the most part: Change tire width. Adjust the tire pressure. Change the seat. Every bicycle rides the same. I went from a $2000 carbon frame to a $300 aluminum frame. Not a great deal of difference.

Now, if you get over 40mph much, you might notice some handling and stability issues between bicycles. Part material. Part design.

All good advice, and about what I was thinking so thanks. Test rides help, but it's hard to get a good test ride in when it's -25 F and snowing, so I'm trying to narrow things down a bit. Most of the bike stores here don't have all the frame sizes, so most things have to be ordered in as well (with a 50% deposit up front).

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

Now, if you get over 40mph much, you might notice some handling and stability issues between bicycles. Part material. Part design.
I have a CAAD 9 and a Synapse Carbon. The biggest difference between the two IMO is the stability at high speed. The CAAD is a lot more stable on the rapid descents. All the other differences are very subtle and related to the component set ups. Neither bike beats me up any more than the other I am comfortable with the fit of each.

Reactions: headplant

All good advice, and about what I was thinking so thanks. Test rides help, but it's hard to get a good test ride in when it's -25 F and snowing, so I'm trying to narrow things down a bit. Most of the bike stores here don't have all the frame sizes, so most things have to be ordered in as well (with a 50% deposit up front).
That blows on both counts.

What don't you like about your CAAD7?

Originally Posted by alienator .

That blows on both counts.

What don't you like about your CAAD7?
I liked the CAAD7 but ended up selling it to a "friend in need". I do kind of regret it, but on the other hand any reason to bike shop works for me...

davereo - thanks for the comparison. I did once have a "wobble" on a decent at 50+ mph and had to ditch the bike, which put me in the hospital with a concussion. Yes, high speed stability is on my priority list!

I sold the CAAD7 to a "friend in need". Kinda regret it but hey...any excuse for a new bike, right?

davereo - thanks for the comparison. I once had some wobble on a decent at 50+ mph and had to ditch, which left me in the hospital with a concussion and 6 hours of my life missing. High speed stability is definitely on my wish list!

I sold the CAAD7 to a "friend in need". Kinda regret it but hey...any excuse for a new bike, right?

davereo - thanks for the comparison. I once had some wobble on a decent at 50+ mph and had to ditch, which left me in the hospital with a concussion and 6 hours of my life missing. High speed stability is definitely on my wish list!
Man, don't "ditch" because of wobble, unless it's the very last option. Just like laying down a motorcycle, there's no efficient and pain-free way to slow down once the ditching is done. Instead grip the top tube between your knees, relax your whole self (hand grip especially), and maybe apply a bit of rear brake.

Man, don't "ditch" because of wobble, unless it's the very last option. Just like laying down a motorcycle, there's no efficient and pain-free way to slow down once the ditching is done. Instead grip the top tube between your knees, relax your whole self (hand grip especially), and maybe apply a bit of rear brake.
I really had no choice. I tried everything sensible but was about to go down anyway and there were cars coming behind me. I never expected it because I'd done lots of fast decents before on that bike (it was the Specialized) and never had any problems. Anyway, hasn't happened since and hopefully if I pay attention to good bike setup and maintenance it won't happen again!

I was down at the LBS again today having another look, and can say that I'm about 95% sold on the CAAD10. It's an amazing frame, and built up with all Ultegra and a BB30 with hollow carbon cranks it's an incredible value. The 58cm feels just right, and they will do a proper fitting for free. Just have to choose a color.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif.

That 5% that's wavering is just from having looked around too much...there's sure a lot out there.

1 vote here for the matt black if still available in that color.

Originally Posted by davereo .

1 vote here for the matt black if still available in that color.

The one 58cm they have in stock is black...at first I didn't like it, but after a second look it's growing on me.

The black version is very nice looking. Iffin' it were me, though, I might convinced to wait for the McLaren Blue/Orange version to come in stock, buy it, and sell of the SRAM stuff so I could put on what I wanted. Actually, if it were me, I just order that frame....but that's me. I think all the colors available look pretty nice.

The black version is very nice looking. Iffin' it were me, though, I might convinced to wait for the McLaren Blue/Orange version to come in stock, buy it, and sell of the SRAM stuff so I could put on what I wanted. Actually, if it were me, I just order that frame....but that's me. I think all the colors available look pretty nice.
Yeah, that is a nice looking one. Still, seems like CD just didn't bother going flashy with these frames...which is kinda cool. The Dura-Ace one is like a stealth mode. Posers need not apply...

Yeah, that is a nice looking one. Still, seems like CD just didn't bother going flashy with these frames...which is kinda cool. The Dura-Ace one is like a stealth mode. Posers need not apply...
I think Cannondale has been consistently subdued compared to other manufacturers in terms of graphics, paint, and etc. I think they over-decal a bit, but that's an affliction presented by the industry as a whole. I definitely dig the murdered out frame (flat black frame, black decals). I used to have a set of CF wheels that had no decals but instead had the logos "added" in the rim mold. The logos were simply a different surface finish from the rest of the rim. It was really subtle. Unfortunately, the sub-par aspects of the wheels weren't subtle.

Great deal - my LBS has a promo on right now on 2012 bikes...buy a bike and get 15% of the price back in store credit. Not bad! I ordered a 2012 CAAD10-3, which will give me $330 in store cred to buy new pedals and a computer. I'm thinking Ultegra pedals and a Cateye Strada wireless.

I ended up going with the white color scheme. It's unique to the Ultegra version and heck, I've never had a white bike.